• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What packs are people running for thier bugout bags?

The new Eberlestock design has a full internal frame... I just got mine, so I'm still evaluating it. But, it's a lot different than the semi-floppy frame sheets I've heard of them using in the past.

Eh, i was a bit off on the tent weight... more like 9lbs 11oz (per the official fishing-type gear scale at my house). It's an older model Mountain Hardwear Trango 2. It's a great solid tent, albeit not very light by today's standards. But, it was the cream of the crop back when I got it! I've had that thing through hell and back, and just can't part with it. A friend put an ice axe through the fly on Mt Washington during a January climb with me about ten years ago, and MH sent me a new rainfly for free, despite me telling them what happened. The new fly has more modern orange and gray colors, while my tent body is in the old-style teal blue color. Together these colors look hideous, but it's still a fine tent :)

When I need a really light option I usually just carry an OR bivy bag, or rely on one of my three season tents. But, when it comes to the wicked weather, the Trango just does what needs to be done!

As for packs, I've had my Dana since probably 1995 or so. I've always like the concept of the Gregory Denali pack as well, and used to sell these at a gear shop I worked at... just never got around to pro-dealing one, and by the time I thought about it I was doing a lot more ultralight backpacking. You're definitely right that pack fitting has become a lost art! We used to do full pack fits at the place I worked at in college, but these days you're hard pressed to find anyone who wants to fit you, or anyone who's competent at doing so.

I'll have to look into McHale sometime...

I have used The North Face Pole Sleeve Oval, VE24 and VE25. Talk about a load to tote around but they were bombproof. Then I got a Bibler and have never looked back. Light and small to pack and has seen worst weather than any of my TNFs, instead of a geo dome to stand strong and fight wind, Biblers flatten out and slip the wind over that has way less stress of the tent. Now that Black Diamond consumed Bibler, the I tent copy Firstlight is even lighter and smaller and can still fight some winter high alt weather. But the tent or shelter I use most now is Integral Designs SilShelter at 12oz.

I spent way too many horrible nights in a bivy sack, for those you like them, slither in and have fun but for me, I will dig a bolt hole or use my SilShelter.

My shop helped design the Denali Pro and at one time was only available through the shop as an exclusive but had a slight alteration of the design and name. Yes I am bias but when comparing side to side with the rest for heavy massive load hauling, it is the best or carries massive loads the easiest with I guess you can call it comfort. ;)

Friends of mine use McHales, I do not personally own one but they are a work of art and not really any more expensive than other packs but can be well over $1000 if you desire. My favorite pack is still a one-off Andinista from John Bouchard at WildThings.

Pack fitting, pack buyers do not even understand there is such a thing these days. But really with the time and effort it takes, I can understand why many shops just push packs out the door. Like boots, until customer/users are truly fit to their foot and you feel and know the difference, the buyer will continue to ask for what is best on the interweb world and go buy it not realizing there is something much better out there but refusing to except this.

For those looking for a pack with frame to carry loads, give Mountain Tools flex frame packs a hard look. I have had two and can honestly say they do not have the name but are well designed and crafted packs that a few high volume pack companies have copied his designs. Colors not ideal for tacticool guys but call Larry and ask if he can have one stitched up in tactical colors.

The frame is completely rigid vertically to support heavy loads, yet laterally the frame flexes for freedom and unbinding movement of the body.

Last edited:
I agree, especially with the current BOB and all the TV shows that make it seem fun to run to the hills with a small load of kit to survive, its real life not TV!

As a guide and instructor, its all about knowledge on survival, not what is in the BOB or the BOB itself but I also agree its fun to talk about them. Me, I am rooting, why leave what I have here for survival to bug out with darn near nothing. I have enough to stay warm and dry, food and water, all this kit around here can be used for something, and with enough ammo and firearms to protect my house. Why would I leave all this? I can not carry what I have here to survive. For those bugging out, know the AO and how to travel and survive in it. If it got that bad, I guess I would but just how bad that would be, can not say.

i am with you. my bag is to get me home in a SHTF event. i like a roof over my head and i know the neighborhood and surrounding areas. who should be there and who should not. the lone wolf crap is not for me. safety in numbers......well armed numbers...

I am still in "test" mode, but I have a Mystery Ranch Metcalf that has so far impressed the shit otta me. It is the lightest Nice Frame pack they make, at just under 7 lbs. The NF system is the most comfortable I have tried, and the Metcalf is a big, basic design, with a side zipper access to get to any part of the pack you need. Combined with it's load sling system for the occasional hauling of odd items between the pack and frame (I have used this to haul 2 scabbarded rifles at once), it's versatility is pretty amazing. with the daypack lid I have about 4500 ci in an external frame pack just under 7 pounds.

I call BS. I humped a much heavier pack in much worse environments than my home location.

Define worse enviroments...

As part of a patrol in a combat zone? You don't have the luxury of a Fireteam/squad/platoon with combined arms to keep you vertical

If it gets bad enough that you have to move out with your pack and/or survive... you need to be mobile and agile.

I don't care how many guns or how good of a shooter you are, you will get killed by a group of others trying to survive.

Staying low key, moving quickly and quietly will do more to keep you alive than anything else.

Grab a couple of these: REI Flash 18 Pack at REI.com
Fill them out with essentials + some nice to haves. Throw a Loaded Glock mag and an AR Mag in there as well.

Cheap enough with good quality that you can keep them in your car/trailer/house/hunting property ect incase you need them.

Fill them out with essentials + some nice to haves. Throw a Loaded Glock mag and an AR Mag in there as well.

Cheap enough with good quality that you can keep them in your car/trailer/house/hunting property ect incase you need them.

Perfect looking pack for a BOB! Inexpensive and inconspicusous. Load a couple up with need to haves and nice to haves, keep one in house, vehicle etc and you're good to go.

I like pack discussions.

There's been some good practical interjections about BOB's etc here. BOB's are fun to talk about, and there is a romantic notion...but in all practicality...

The OP also asked about the pack being suited for matches and hunting. I do my fair share of backpack hunting in the CO high country, and this year NM elk in the high desert. I am somewhat of a kifaru junkie. I've essentially settled on the Timberline 2 for my big game backpack hunting. It sucks up tight as a day pack but can handle big loads. With that said a heavy load is not what I'd want for "bugging out". Even a 35lb pack can get old in the high country day after day if you are scrambing up slopes that have no trail...not that I'd recommend "bugging out" to the high country.

I also have the Kifauru ultralite, 2200 and 3700. Those are sweet packs when it comes to weight and load capability, and pretty inconspicuous. They are tough but one might get concerned about durability long term. Thus, I'd recommend the slick Express (slick has no molle). That is what I use for my match pack, coyotes, day pack, etc. I'll do scouting trips with my ultralites.

For super nimble I'd really like to try out their tailgunner 1, especially as a coyote hunting rig. No restrictive straps with a rifle is an advantage I think....not that Kifaru straps are restrictive given how well they put the weight on your hips my straps are typically pretty loose....plenty easy to draw my bow with pack on.

As for essentials: water filter/purification, bladder or bottle, first aid, fire making kit, rain gear, knife, light-weight saw, paracord. I have sometimes carried a lightweight tarp, but when cutting ounces it gets left and only the rain gear stays. If you want a more substantial shelter, go with a tipi. The go-lites are very good, and less expensive than Kifaru tipis.

5 gal buckets w/ lids painted safety orange with a couple packs of desiccant inside. Seal up water/air tight, offer some crush proof, will float, they stack. Fat Sharpie the contents with date sealed.

I cannot step foot in return everything immediately.