• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What Percentile of Shooters Can Shoot 1 MOA?

We do a local shoot here called the MOA challenge and there’s lots of big talk from people online about how well they’ll do. Folks that have been there are a lot more humble. The challenge is five shots in five groups, I bet less than 1/3 can do it with an average less than an MOA and much less than that get all five groups under 1 MOA. Lots of us are just average guys but there is always a lot of over confidence in the new guys, it’s fun to watch.

Like I said, this is a new type of shooting for me and I'm very much still learning. Up till now, for me, everything has been towards a point of reference, the bullseye (for lack of a better term) as the point of aim to hit.

Doesn't that hold true for precision shooting? Isn't that where the first shot is still directed?

I understand the grouping concept. It just looks like to me, the first off center shot is more of a flyner and follow up shots are then centered towards that.

Learning an awful lot from this site and others like it. Appreciate your perspective.

I am also new and learning, so take my comment for what it is, but I figured I'd share what I understand. I'm still re-learning things all the time.

I assume you might see the first round off target, then the rest on the bullseye because the shooter is experienced and has built up consistency in themselves, but there's still inconsistency in the environment. They fire one shot, see where the wind, load, or w.e placed the round, and now, because they are consistent, they also know precisely where every round will land relative to their initial point of aim. It's easy for them to adjust for that discrepancy and place every follow-up shot in the bullseye, assuming the environment doesn't change. They would need to know that every round would consistently land in the same spot as that first round to be able to adjust their POA to hit the bullseye every time afterward.

I think of that first round as calibration, not a flyer. Of course, all the superhumans here would perfectly read the wind, know the exact load, and even have accounted for the gravity of Jupiter being in retrograde and would land their first shot every time. But I'm just a muggle who hopes to someday have the consistency to only need 1 round to know precisely where the next round will land.

Others, such as myself, will group 5 rounds off from the bullseye because I lack that consistency. If I move my POA to adjust for my first shot, I will ruin any meaningful data I would have had about my consistency by being inconsistent with my POA.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mcrider55
I am also new and learning, so take my comment for what it is, but I figured I'd share what I understand. I'm still re-learning things all the time.

I assume you might see the first round off target, then the rest on the bullseye because the shooter is experienced and has built up consistency in themselves, but there's still inconsistency in the environment. They fire one shot, see where the wind, load, or w.e placed the round, and now, because they are consistent, they also know precisely where every round will land relative to their initial point of aim. It's easy for them to adjust for that discrepancy and place every follow-up shot in the bullseye, assuming the environment doesn't change. They would need to know that every round would consistently land in the same spot as that first round to be able to adjust their POA to hit the bullseye every time afterward.

I think of that first round as calibration, not a flyer. Of course, all the superhumans here would perfectly read the wind, know the exact load, and even have accounted for the gravity of Jupiter being in retrograde and would land their first shot every time. But I'm just a muggle who hopes to someday have the consistency to only need 1 round to know precisely where the next round will land.

Others, such as myself, will group 5 rounds off from the bullseye because I lack that consistency. If I move my POA to adjust for my first shot, I will ruin any meaningful data I would have had about my consistency by being inconsistent with my POA.
Also, I would like to propose an idea that I totally and completely stole from someone else with no regrets or remorse. Possibly it is not a cold bore problem but a cold shooter problem. I start every visit to the range with some dry fire. I can dry fire all the time at home but I dry fire at the range to get myself set in that space.

I’ve read quite a few of the posts but not all. Has the OP stated what he is shooting? Rifle, caliber, blah blah blah.

I ask this because, before I built a match grade rifle, I was shooting a model 7 243 that ive had since I was 10. Still hunt with it… it’s a great hunting rifle. Started shooting 100 yards on paper with it, got into reloading, etc, and the typical 5 shot group would be 1-2 inches while including whatever “flier.” I got to where I could consistently keep around 1.5” group and figured out that particular rifle likes to shoot a few round before the groups would tighten (it likes a warmed barrel).

After I got into shooting more, I got a 6 dasher and have been shooting it for a few years now (I don’t shoot enough to burn barrels quickly). This rifle doesn’t have “fliers”…. It goes where you point it. If I’m shooting 100 yards, I get mad if I have 5 shots that aren’t all touching…. Because of the accuracy of the rifle, I know anything outside of that kind of grouping is because of me. I’ve had a couple 1” groups and a lot of .5” groups. When I’m really on it, I’ve been able to get into the .2-.3” zone. I’ve never been able to, and never will be able to achieve that kind of consistency with the model 7 243.

Long story short, at a certain point, you can outgrow the accuracy of a particular rifle

Reactions: Modoc
I’ve read quite a few of the posts but not all. Has the OP stated what he is shooting? Rifle, caliber, blah blah blah.

I ask this because, before I built a match grade rifle, I was shooting a model 7 243 that ive had since I was 10. Still hunt with it… it’s a great hunting rifle. Started shooting 100 yards on paper with it, got into reloading, etc, and the typical 5 shot group would be 1-2 inches while including whatever “flier.” I got to where I could consistently keep around 1.5” group and figured out that particular rifle likes to shoot a few round before the groups would tighten (it likes a warmed barrel).

After I got into shooting more, I got a 6 dasher and have been shooting it for a few years now (I don’t shoot enough to burn barrels quickly). This rifle doesn’t have “fliers”…. It goes where you point it. If I’m shooting 100 yards, I get mad if I have 5 shots that aren’t all touching…. Because of the accuracy of the rifle, I know anything outside of that kind of grouping is because of me. I’ve had a couple 1” groups and a lot of .5” groups. When I’m really on it, I’ve been able to get into the .2-.3” zone. I’ve never been able to, and never will be able to achieve that kind of consistency with the model 7 243.

Long story short, at a certain point, you can outgrow the accuracy of a particular rifle
Spot on, lots of shooters, especially new ones are done a disservice from constantly being told it’s the Indian, not the arrow…and they get stuck tryin to polish a turd thinking they’re learning something

Only when Lowlight bets against me at one of his classes

Attachments

• frankbet.jpg
    frankbet.jpg
    542 KB · Views: 64
If a centerfire rifle won’t consistently shoot sub MOA @100 yards from a bench under ideal conditions, it’s not allowed to reside at my house.

When the day comes that “I” can’t consistently shoot sub MOA under the conditions described above, I’ll sell all my crap and take up golf or some other lame hobby.

It comes down to realistic expectations as well. I'm not a benchrest guy and I shoot a heavy magnum rifle. What floats my boat is extreme long range stuff. I'm in the process of trying to get really good at it.

I have absolutely no desire to enter competitions and such. I like to compete against myself and I set my standards very high to a fault.

Here's the reason: The type of shooting I like to do is a means to get the outside world outside of my head. It's relaxing to me and when it's just me and my rifle alone in my head, all of that other crap disappears. There is no one to blame for anything other than myself in that moment. I reload my own ammo (that's on me). I built my rifle (that's on me). Therefore, if I don't shoot well that day, that's on me.

You'd be amazed how liberating that is. At least for me.

I've competed in many different arenas throughout my life and at this point I just need a little "me" time.

It's my little fortress of solitude of blame. LOL

It comes down to realistic expectations as well. I'm not a benchrest guy and I shoot a heavy magnum rifle. What floats my boat is extreme long range stuff. I'm in the process of trying to get really good at it.

I have absolutely no desire to enter competitions and such. I like to compete against myself and I set my standards very high to a fault.

Here's the reason: The type of shooting I like to do is a means to get the outside world outside of my head. It's relaxing to me and when it's just me and my rifle alone in my head, all of that other crap disappears. There is no one to blame for anything other than myself in that moment. I reload my own ammo (that's on me). I built my rifle (that's on me). Therefore, if I don't shoot well that day, that's on me.

You'd be amazed how liberating that is. At least for me.

I've competed in many different arenas throughout my life and at this point I just need a little "me" time.

It's my little fortress of solitude of blame. LOL
That is awesome. May I also blame you when my shooting is crap?

Thanks.
:ROFLMAO:

It comes down to realistic expectations as well.
There are many types of shooters on this board. Many hunters just want meat on the table. Gamer,s want one hole groups, others are good at 1/2moa groups yet others, are fine at 1 moa. Then you have those who are only looking for a cold bore placement, anytime anywhere, of their choosing.

I'm sure it's been mentioned earlier, but achieving sub-moa at 100yds is quite a bit different than achieving it at 300, 500, 1000 yds.

With half way decent gear and ammo I have never actually seen anyone NOT be able to get groups 1 moa or better.

My son is 12.....he shoots 1/2 moa sometimes (when I can get him to focus). I don't think 1 moa is a very high bar.

Hornady podcast "your groups are too small", might interest you. Quick summary of statistics, 1/4" groups are probable, consistent 100 percent reliability of sub-moa, not very probable. This is more of a discussion about the rifle and the load development, but there is some stuff in there about shooter error too.

Last edited:
Arguable. Putting that group on a target however…much harder.
Fur Sure I agree, on target is much more important. My son and I are going to shoot a match on the 20th, so we went out today and took a few cold bore shots at 100 and 200. His is the top row of 223 and mine in the bottom row is 6.5.

The good thing is his couple of misses he could actually tell right away he did something wrong.
100 yards cold bore.jpg
200 yards cold.jpg

Reactions: sea2summit
Something you can do to track history-take a good piece of cardboard, place your target of choice on it, outlining the edges with a sharpie. Shoot a CB/CCB on one and group on a few others. Keep the original target in place and overlay the new one(s), after x number of these sessions, see what the original reveals. On two guns, I've been removing the CB/CCB page and actually shooting it, only bad thing is it only gives you one side of use.

Of course a log book will do the same provided your transfer of information is "accurate"

Precision is the wringing out of fundamentals, low standard deviation ammo and barrel harmonics. Seeking consistency in all aspects. Precision relies on consistency.

Accuracy at the point of aim is a mechanical function and relies on your scope's ability to deliver precise movement of the point of impact to the point of aim. Seek precision. Accuracy will follow.

Precision is your sub-MOA group. Accuracy is that group hitting sub-MOA steel.

Taylor

I am very, very happy if I can do 50% impacts on a 2-3moa steel course of fire in the alotted time LOL.

Shooting paper for load development is easy sub-MOA for my bolt guns. Doing positional shit is a whole other thing entirely.

Reactions: Aftermath
Accuracy at the point of aim is a mechanical function and relies on your scope's ability to deliver precise movement of the point of impact to the point of aim. Seek precision.
One of the reasons I quit dialing anything, once I started using a tree ret. Now if a Mfg would only put the cross in the top 1/3 of viewing & run the numbers all the way down, I'd switch everything over. Even at my age now.

One of the reasons I quit dialing anything, once I started using a tree ret. Now if a Mfg would only put the cross in the top 1/3 of viewing & run the numbers all the way down, I'd switch everything over. Even at my age now.
Horus H-59 or Nightforce Mil-XT, both extend the tree beyond the limits of most people's vision as you zoom out. Not quite what you asked for but way more usable tree than anything else has.

Precision is the wringing out of fundamentals, low standard deviation ammo and barrel harmonics. Seeking consistency in all aspects. Precision relies on consistency.

Accuracy at the point of aim is a mechanical function and relies on your scope's ability to deliver precise movement of the point of impact to the point of aim. Seek precision. Accuracy will follow.

Precision is your sub-MOA group. Accuracy is that group hitting sub-MOA steel.

Taylor
Exactly and it’s surprising how many people do not know of this distinction.

Hope you’re doing well and thriving, Marc. 💪 (y)

As many said, it depends on the definition of "1 MOA shooter" you take...

Let's talk about bipod and bag, prone or at the bench, with quality factory ammo @100 meters (or yards, whatever you like most), to get the environment out of the equation, and leave only the shooter and his skill (even if calling the wind correctly is part of the skills).

I've seen many shooters call themselves "1 MOA shooter" because they could shoot within 1 MOA with their best groups in a good day.
I believe a 1 MOA shooter is somebody who, with his worst group, on a bad day, one of those when everything seems to turn out crap, well, he shoots 1 MOA.
And that in my very personal opinion, is one hell of a shooter.

• Love
Reactions: tinker and Ronws
Not moa, but close. Wind was blowing right to left down to around 200 yards then the range goes back into some trees. At 600 it was blowing left to right. And I'm not a wind guy.

Top group was right at 9" of vertical but I had a constant condition while shooting that group. That was with factory primed sig hybrid cases formed to 308. Sd was 9.3.

Bottom group I had a really inconsistent condition.

The br2's had less vertical but ran roughly the same velocity.
My Garmin wigged out on the string with the br2's so I lost that data.

Trued 700, 20" 1:9 lilja with a SiCo Omega hanging on the end of it. Built buy yours truly.
20240428_174017.jpg

As many said, it depends on the definition of "1 MOA shooter" you take...

Let's talk about bipod and bag, prone or at the bench, with quality factory ammo @100 meters (or yards, whatever you like most), to get the environment out of the equation, and leave only the shooter and his skill (even if calling the wind correctly is part of the skills).

I've seen many shooters call themselves "1 MOA shooter" because they could shoot within 1 MOA with their best groups in a good day.
I believe a 1 MOA shooter is somebody who, with his worst group, on a bad day, one of those when everything seems to turn out crap, well, he shoots 1 MOA.
And that in my very personal opinion, is one hell of a shooter.
So true. when I have managed a good group, I also remember that I am seated at indoor and climated controlled range with a target caddy that brings it right back to me and a monitor camera near the 100 yard mark.

This different than hiking in the woods with the rifle, and the backpack and possibly having to post up on a fallen tree. I would be lucky to be 1 MOA there.

Off-hand? I would consider it at least 2 MOA at 50 yards. Hence, no off-hand past 50 yards.

One day, I had a good day with rifle and as I was leaving the range (outdoor) and returning their target stapler, I said, "Well, the rifle is 1 MOA but the shooter is not."