• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns What pocket pistol to get?

a1-equipment

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 25, 2007
Salem VA
Anyone got a pocket pistol set up they like and feel is capable? Going to have to start pocket carrying at work instead of 3oclock tucked under dress shirt. Please prefer 9mm or 38/357.

I used to pocket-rock a S&W 640 Pro series. I liked it.

Then I got a Glock 43. In a pocket holster, I much prefer it to the Pro. I have 8+1 ready to go, and in my other pocket I have another 10.

I have a Ruger EC9 in a Desantis nemesis. Works very well

10 Yards
96E0A357-D25D-4099-B8A8-E632B1846E1B.jpeg
C8E43338-F202-435B-BFD4-55323B60AFAE.jpeg

Reactions: TheBigCountry
Not in the caliber you like but I ALWAYS carry a Beretta 3032, usually in addition to the Para Nite Hawg 45ACP.

Kahr cm9, or pm9 in a Desantis nemesis. I have a cm9 and really like it. I carry it in a kydex iwb, or nemesis pocket carry.

Mike

Not your caliber but I have a Kel Tec 32acp for pocket carry. I was told Nazi officers carried 32acp's as a back up because they would penetrate a skull or winter clothes when a similar sized 9mm would not. I use a sticky for it

The Sig P365 is smaller than the Clock 43 and holds more rounds. The big thing I don't like about the revolver is the width and shape of the cylinder. My suggestion is go to your LGS and try them out in your hand and pocket.

Not your caliber but I have a Kel Tec 32acp for pocket carry. I was told Nazi officers carried 32acp's as a back up because they would penetrate a skull or winter clothes when a similar sized 9mm would not. I use a sticky for it
The Beretta 3032 I carry is also 32ACP. The 9mm is 38 cal AND it has more velocity. I would not consider the 9mm as being smaller. In fact, I consider this as a "punching pistol" where I use it to increase the effectiveness of a good gut punch.

Reactions: camocorvette
I love my 365. It's a great little pistol and does exactly what it's supposed to do. Comes with a manual safety if that's something you might like. I didn't buy mine with one, but you can add it later or remove it if you don't like it.

Some Nazi Officers did carry 32 ACP, including their Luftwaffe (Air Force). I don’t believe it has nearly as much to do with terminal ballistics as economics. As the Nazis made their move, they took over several factories - including FN. They needed arms and it was much easier to continue making what the tooling was set up for instead of retooling to make something else.

Anyone got a pocket pistol set up they like and feel is capable? Going to have to start pocket carrying at work instead of 3oclock tucked under dress shirt. Please prefer 9mm or 38/357.
I’ve tried S&W J-frames and Ruger LCP, but found the best shooting, best trigger is the Ruger LCR. Head and shoulders better trigger than the S&W‘s. Not even close. Now that Ruger has the LCR in 9mm, rapid reloads with moon clips makes it the clear standard in pocket carry. I also like 9mm so that if I carry the LCR as a backup gun, I’m using the same ammo as my IWB carry pistol.

Get a decent pocket holster that is tacky on the outside so it sticks to your pocket fabric which makes drawing much quicker and smoother.

Reactions: gigamortis
Bond Arms 6" 10mm derringer. Tiny, only 2 shots, but tiny with 6" barrels, meaning you'll have all the damn power that round can muster.

Or, their semi-auto bullpup. Smaller than a Glock 43 with essentially the same exact barrel length and it's 7+1 instead of 6+1.
And they tell you what ammo works, most all of what you'll love is there, and there are great rounds there even if you're favorite isn't.

Pros and Cons - 32 and 380 - too light, especially in areas where people wear winter coats. Ammo can be more scarce and expensive.
38/357 - very good, versatile between light 38’s up to heavy 357’s. Ammo can be found reasonably well at normal prices. 357 way more recoil than you want, but 38’s are ideal in this platform.
9mm - most available, best prices, perfect blend of power without too much recoil for pocket pistol. Revolver with moon clips as quick to reload as magazine fed semi-auto. Can share ammo with many other CCW weapons.
40/10mm/44/45 - all way more recoil than you want in a light, short barreled pocket pistol. Likely will over-penetrate through multiple walls of a house.

Semi-auto vs Revolver - revolver goes bang every time. Is better suited to pocket carry where you can count on dirt and pocket lint getting into the holster and gun. Revolver don’t have to worry about feed ramps, magazine springs, ejection and extraction issues.

9mm revolver with moon clips in a good pocket holster Is the best IMO. I’ve tried most everything else.

I've been pondering this lately as well and I've been looking into the Sig P938, kind of surprised it hasn't got more mentions.

Reactions: CaptNkllm
Some Nazi Officers did carry 32 ACP, including their Luftwaffe (Air Force). I don’t believe it has nearly as much to do with terminal ballistics as economics. As the Nazis made their move, they took over several factories - including FN. They needed arms and it was much easier to continue making what the tooling was set up for instead of retooling to make something else.
Most officers did not want to carry a full size issued pistol such as the Luger or P38, so they usually bought one on their own dime. A lot of officers carried personally acquired firearms as well. Some common smaller ones include the
Walther PP/PPK
Mauser HSc
JP Sauer 38H
FN 1910/1922

I’ve owned all of the ones listed above from the correct period, and wouldn’t hesitate to use any of them in self defense.

But as for the OPs question. I carry a Beretta Jetfire on a regular basis. Super small and has 7 rounds. Granted it’s not a 38/9, but it’s better than nothing

Well, I live where you can't get a concealed carry permit, therefore, my workaround is a very concealable Seecamp 32auto and plan on nothing but head shots.

I've pocket carried a Glock 42, SW 637 bobbed hammer, and my wife's P365... and honestly the 365 carries just as well as the others, and carries 10 or 12 depending on mag. It's a hell of a lot more comfortable to shoot than the 637.

But as for the OPs question. I carry a Beretta Jetfire on a regular basis. Super small and has 7 rounds. Granted it’s not a 38/9, but it’s better than nothing
I think that's pretty much the same as the 3032 Tomcat I use. TRUE pocket gun. Literally in my back pocket no holster or even front pocket, no big deal.
Lots of people I know call them "Baby Beretta"s. I like that I can quite easily operate it 100% with one hand, including loading the mag. I carry a spare mag but I don't know why. I figure if I'm down to the Tomcat, I'm already pretty much hand-to-hand and my next weapon will be a blade. At my age, once I'm that close...all bets are off...gnashing of teeth and shit.

Sig 365 if you can handle the size.

S&W 642 or 442 without the legal lock if the Sig 365 is too big.
Definitely use the Crimson Trace grips with it and learn POA/POI using it if you go the 642/442 route.

Bond Arms 6" 10mm derringer. Tiny, only 2 shots, but tiny with 6" barrels, meaning you'll have all the damn power that round can muster.

They aren't tiny though. They're as big (or bigger) and heavier than most of the semi-autos mentioned here, and only 2 shots as you said.

As for their semi-auto "bullpup" and comparison to the G43 - in the Glock pretty much any decent ammo works, so you don't have to be told which ammo to use. And you can get Shield 9 round mags for them now.

Someone mentioned a hammerless SP101 earlier, but those are approximately the same size as a Glock 19. (Hold them side by side if you don't believe me, and put them on a scale; I've got both right here.) If you can carry a 5 round SP101, you can probably carry a 16 round Glock 19. Neither are "pocket pistols".

I have to agree with several others, that the Sig P365, while imperfect, is probably the best the best of the lot currently available. Not the XL or any other variant, just the standard 365.

I haven't bought one yet though; I picked up a G43 before the 365 came out, and use that on the rare occasion that I can't carry a G19. A Ghost connector and spring upgrades gave it a pretty decent trigger, and I generally carry it with a Pierce +1 mag extension in the gun and either Vickers +2 or Shield 9 round mags for backup. It doesn't have the capacity of a 10 or 12 round P365, but shoots very well and is easy to carry.

It's also worth pointing out that the carry method matters a lot. If you don't have a large gut, you can conceal a lot more gun AIWB than you can strong side or most other methods. Personally, I'm able to conceal a G19 in an AIWB holster easier than a little G43 strong side, especially if it's a tucked shirt environment. But for guys with a gut hanging tight against their shirt, that's probably a no-go.

I’ve been pocket carrying regularly for over 10 years. Starting 20 years ago I bought all sorts of carry pistols, holsters and belts. I went through a 1911 phase, a Glock phase, Sig phase and have spent countless hours perfecting trigger control with single action, double action, DA/SA and striker systems. Once I started adding in pocket carry as an option, I realized how important it was, but often overlooked. If you have a solid pocket carry option, you’re more likely to be carrying when you need it.

Ask yourself, Honestly, when You get out to pump gas, are you carrying? How about if you have to run into a store for just one or two items? Are you strapping the IWB rig back on for that? How about in the summer and you‘re wearing shorts and t-shirt? YMMV, but I find pocket carry to be the best option more than 50% of the time.

+1 @blue_ridge

Nicest part of pocket carry (in addition to waistband carry as well) is that you can have a conversation and smile nicely and politely with whomever approaches you unthreateningly with your hands in your pockets if you wish. Quick backstep on the gun side with a fast draw and you can have the non gun hand up to deflect incoming blows while easily shooting pelvis and up from a protected gun/pectoral position.

John Farnam used to teach something called the "zipper". Start with the groin and just work your way up the centerline to the chest or head. At close range/while getting hit, it will be easier to execute than backpedaling with your gun at arms length.

As always, safety rules apply. Don't flag your own arm.

Last edited:
+1 @blue_ridge

Nicest part of pocket carry (in addition to waistband carry as well) is that you can have a conversation and smile nicely and politely with whomever approaches you unthreateningly with your hands in your pockets if you wish. Quick backstep on the gun side with a fast draw and you can have the non gun hand up to deflect incoming blows while easily shooting pelvis and up

John Farnam used to teach something called the "zipper". Start with the groin and just work your way up the centerline to the chest or head. At close range/while getting hit, it will be easier to execute than backpedaling with your gun at arms length.

As always, safety rules apply. Don't flag your own arm.
Good point. If approached by someone suspicious, you’ve always got the option for “hey man, here, you can have my wallet” OR “here take my car keys” as you draw the pocket pistol.

Good point. If approached by someone suspicious, you’ve always got the option for “hey man, here, you can have my wallet” OR “here take my car keys” as you draw the pocket pistol.
I like the Denny Crane method, except I won't be such a good aim and only shoot him in the foot. BCM from below the belt on up.

Ask yourself, Honestly, when You get out to pump gas, are you carrying? How about if you have to run into a store for just one or two items? Are you strapping the IWB rig back on for that? How about in the summer and you‘re wearing shorts and t-shirt? YMMV, but I find pocket carry to be the best option more than 50% of the time.

If you grew up like me seeing bad things happen to good people, and take that stuff seriously, then yeah, the carry gun is always there right at 1:00 IWB. No reason to take it off until bedtime if you get used to carrying and have a comfortable method.

For me pocket guns are about carrying in circumstances where I can’t carry my normal pistol. It’s never been about being too lazy to carry when I should. I really dislike that line of reasoning, partly because it usually goes hand in hand with people who refuse to get any training and treat the gun more as a talisman than a fighting tool.

Maybe that’s an over reaction, I don’t know you, but that’s been my experience.

Reactions: Mr. Z and Gustav7
Here is my every day carry...

I know, I know...Taurus SUCKS. This one has sucked so bad that after more than 500 rounds, it is 100% reliable. Not one single issue with it.

Attachments

• 20221204_183822.jpg
    20221204_183822.jpg
    786.3 KB · Views: 41
For me, pocket sized semi autos are harder for me to get out of my pocket with my bear paw wrapped around them. The back end of the slides that sit above the web of my hand always catch hell clearing the pocket opening. A hammerless revolver gets out the pocket much cleaner. I'm a big fan of the Ruger LCR for pocket carry. Much better trigger than the S&W airweights.

Reactions: blue_ridge
Taurus actually makes pretty damn nice revolvers, they make some in .380 and 9mm.
9mm would likely be my choice, more pop than a .38, not as much flame and recoil as a .357.
Another option, though pricey, is the .327 magnum, it typically gets you one more round with more ass than the 9mm.
Ruger stopped making the 9mm revolver, a shame because they were very good. They can sometimes be found second hand.

Here is my every day carry...

I know, I know...Taurus SUCKS. This one has sucked so bad that after more than 500 rounds, it is 100% reliable. Not one single issue with it.

Wow, 500 rounds! You’re really wringing that thing out. 😄

Just yanking your chain. But, it’d be a good idea to put a lot more rounds through that before bragging too much about its reliability.

Wow, 500 rounds! You’re really wringing that thing out. 😄

Just yanking your chain. But, it’d be a good idea to put a lot more rounds through that before bragging too much about its reliability.
Really? Is there some magic number?
If it hasn't choked in 500 rounds, what makes you think it will choke in 600? 800?
Any mechanical device is prone to failure.
What's to say that the malfunction wasn't caused by excessive wear?
Fwiw, I've been known to carry a colt 1903 that was manufactured in 1920, the slide stop is very worn and prone to slipping, but it runs like a top.
I've also carried a Taurus 24/7 pro that never skipped a beat. The non "pro" models had a bad reputation though.