• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

what powder now?

cgmaster1

Captain
Minuteman
Dec 27, 2006
Gulf Coast Mississippi
I have only used Varget for reloading 308 until now. I can't find any anywhere. What other powders are good for 308? I have looked at rl-15 and it seems like it will be hard to find also. I shoot 175gr SMK and shoot from a m14nm and a Remington 700 with 26" barrel.

Re: what powder now?

I just started reloading with the desire for Varget. Impossible to find. I have been able the get RL-15 8lb jugs from Natchez on two seperate occasions in the last month. Also found RL-15 at PowderValley Inc as well.

Now large rifle primers are another issue altogether. Good Luck.

IMR/H4895, 4064
Ramshot BigGame, TAC
H380, 414(alittle too slow)
W748, 760

All these powders will work. See what they have in stock. Though R15 and Varget are about optimum, thus the shortage. The only crappy part is load development.

These are a few of the powders listed in just one manual I'm looking at...

N-140
N-150
RE-12
RE-15
IMR 4895
IMR 4064
IMR 4320
IMR 4350
H 380
H 414
AA 2460
AA 2520

I was in a local farm store today and they have (I kid you not) 18 pounds of Varget on the shelf. I couldn't believe it. It's fairly spendy at $24 a pound, though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cgmaster1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have only used Varget for reloading 308 until now. I can't find any anywhere. What other powders are good for 308? I have looked at rl-15 and it seems like it will be hard to find also. I shoot 175gr SMK and shoot from a m14nm and a Remington 700 with 26" barrel. </div></div>

You can try IMR 4064. I have good success with the 175 SMK.

I recently came across a questionable batch of Varget. It was hotter than it should have been, and I couldn't reach the expected velocity without getting too much pressure. I switched to IMR 4064, and I'm now getting outstanding performance. It's accurate and velocity is much better - without high pressure.

- Innovative