• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What power optic on a 338LM

rfinn84

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2009
I am looking for optics for my new 338lm and wanted to see what you guys were running. I am thinking about going with Night Force or USO.
what are your thoughts?

Re: What power optic on a 338LM

20-25X is fine at a mile, man. You'll still need a 30 MOA base to get all the travel for that far.

I just picked up a NF 5.5-22x50 for my build. Has the high speed turrets and zero stop. Unfortunately only other parts I have is the receiver. Barrel and stock have been on order for about 4 months now.

I have a Premier 5-25 on top of my Barrett 98B. It's a LOT of scope but you can always back it down. Clear as a bell and you can spot a fly fart a long ways off.

i've had good luck with the 5.5-22 nightforce scopes and the 5-25 s&b scopes on 338 lapua rifles, the 8-32 nightforce is nice too, but i like the adjustment in the 5-25 and 5.5-22

While working on my "High End Tactical" articles, I got a chance to try all manner of different scopes on my 338LM. It is a substantial gun, so I think something along the lines of a 5-20x50 or 6-24x56 or 5-25x56 makes a good fit to the gun and to the cartridge.

I suspect I will end up with a 5-20x50 SWFA SS on it or something similar.

ILya

Pinzmanns scope was on my 338 lapua. I have taken it to 1860 yards (65moa). It is an outstanding scope. The base is a NF 40 moa. The npr1 reticle was great as well. Since I am going to all mil, a mil on mil 5-22 50mm is most likely what it will be wearing next.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NTRP-CKA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">20-25X is fine at a mile, man. You'll still need a 30 MOA base to get all the travel for that far. </div></div>

+1

USO and Nightforce are great scopes. I also recommend looking at the Premier 5-25x56mm with the GENII-XR reticle.

Mike @ CST

I think you'll be perfectly fine with either brand. I'd stick with soemthing more than 10x, but less than 25x. GL!

Ive got a DTA SRS with 338lm and I got the nightforce 5.5x22x56 with NPR-1 reticle and I have never looked back. I also run the nightforce 3x15x50 on my 243. Ive always had great results with the nightforce.

Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 is what earned the vote of my wallet when it was time to select an optic for this particular caliber.

Premier 5-25 Gen2 XR. Incredible scope.
Gun.jpg