• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What primer for Varget/155gr .308 load?

Mr_Happyface

Huge Dork
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2006
After 7 or so years of wanting one I finally bought a new AI AW (26" 1:12) and want to work up a load for it.

I have some 155gr Lapua, Berger, and SMKs on the way along with some Lapua cases, and a bunch of Varget.

It seems to be a consensus here that those 3 components will produce a good load if I do my part.

What I'm having a hard time finding is a primer that is equally respected. Used the search, and looked at the reloading depot but couldn't find a pattern.

Any idea where I should start?

Re: What primer for Varget/155gr .308 load?

I've had great results with Wolf primers and Remington 9 1/2's. I get tighter groupings more consistently from the Wolf primers though running 155gr AMax's over Varget.

Some people have a preference but most just plain use what they can get. I like CCI's because they seem to seat a bit firmer than wins or rems and they grow on trees...

Fed 210m or CCI BR2's.

I use Fed 210's. Lucked into a good buy on them. Never had a need to change as of yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sarge7174</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been useing Wolf primers for a while and never had one that didn't go bang. Bought some a few weeks back for $16 a thousand from Graff and Sons.
</div></div>

Another vote here for Wolf LR primers. Work better that anything I have found and you can't beat the price.

I've used WLR and WLRM primers for varget and 155gr scenars the load really shouldn't require much searching of primers. I switched to fed 210m for more consistent velocity. With the Winchester magnum primers my ES and SD were too high.

I haven't seen much difference between wolf and winchester, so I go with Wolf since its priced better around here (San Diego).

210Ms, or if they aren't available, Remington 9-1/2. Or whatever you can source locally or buy in quantity - work up your load around what you have, not what someone else has.

Id go with CCIBR2s, then try WLRs, I have plenty of both.

I've used both BR-2 and 210M. I have 210M right now, so that's what I'm using currently.

My Winchester 70 Heavy Varmint really digs on the Remington 9 1/2 primers. I was having a problem with occasional flyers using standard CCIs and Winchesters. A friend recommended the Remingtons and my groups rounded out nicely and shrank. I've since tried CCI BRs and didn't notice any improvement and it's easier for me to find the Remmies (more economical, too) so they are my go-tos.

For a long time I'd only use Federal Match primers, GM210M, then a friend of mind suggested I might be wasting my money and mentioned he was getting identical results with NON-match primers. I gave it a try. So far I can't notice any different in any of the .308 loads I've used them in. I've even tried Winchester large rifle, CCI with similar results. Velocity, accuracy. But I've only used H-Varget for about the last five years. I can't get any kind of consistency with 4198 or other powders I've tried. FWIW I've only done this with a few hundred rounds each out of the thousands I've shot with match primers. I'm not wasting the money on the match primers anymore. JMHO.