• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What quality matters when picking a bullet?

Sokam101

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2020
I'm currently choosing between two bullets for deer hunting and long range shooting in my 6.5 Creedmoor. The 140 berger Elite hunter and the 143 Hornady eldx. I know there are tons of others out there. I took ten from each lot and used my fx120i. When weighing bullets the Berger's were more consistent with an ES of +- .09 grains where the 143 eldx were +- .115 grains. The base to ogive the 143 eldx were the winners at +- .0005 inches to the Berger's +-.00175. the bcs are pretty similar. I could never find litz article where he went over true bcs. I've heard tons of good things about both bullets. They will both kill deer so I want the best long range bullet for prs out to 1100ish yards.

Which matters more consistent weight or consistent length? Are there any other things I should be measuring?

Ya I wouldn't worry about it... they're both gonna serve you well, and the LAST thing that is going to cause a miss is the weight or length of individual bullets.

Priority numero uno would be to find a consistent and precise load with either/both.

I was getting consistent hits at 1100 and 1200yds a few weeks ago with the 147's and the only reason I wasn't getting more hits was because of me... not anything else.

For the money, I'd rock the ELD-X provided you can find a solid load with it.

I'm currently choosing between two bullets for deer hunting and long range shooting in my 6.5 Creedmoor. The 140 berger Elite hunter and the 143 Hornady eldx. I know there are tons of others out there. I took ten from each lot and used my fx120i. When weighing bullets the Berger's were more consistent with an ES of +- .09 grains where the 143 eldx were +- .115 grains. The base to ogive the 143 eldx were the winners at +- .0005 inches to the Berger's +-.00175. the bcs are pretty similar. I could never find litz article where he went over true bcs. I've heard tons of good things about both bullets. They will both kill deer so I want the best long range bullet for prs out to 1100ish yards.

Which matters more consistent weight or consistent length? Are there any other things I should be measuring?
Best long range bullet for out to 1100ish yards.
I don't see Hornady in winners circle F-class matches so for long range accuracy, I'll take the Berger over Hornady.
Bang for buck, Hornady has an valid argument but that wasn't your question, you want best long range bullet for PRS out to 1100ish yards.
Worth what you paid for it.

The FX120 can weigh 5 digits past the decimal?

Best long range bullet for out to 1100ish yards.
I don't see Hornady in winners circle F-class matches so for long range accuracy, I'll take the Berger over Hornady.
Bang for buck, Hornady has an valid argument but that wasn't your question, you want best long range bullet for PRS out to 1100ish yards.
Worth what you paid for it.
Thoughts on using elite hunter for both or get 140 hybrids for both or just run two different?

Thoughts on using elite hunter for both or get 140 hybrids for both or just run two different?
140 hybrid for both, IMHO, will do just fine. Put bullet where it needs to be, animal going down.