• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

what range do you guys site in your 338's at?

Re: what range do you guys site in your 338's at?

25 yds, because the 3 loads: 300SMK, 250 SMK and 250 game king all keep the same baseline zero at that distance, also I use a ballistic calculator and match up the 25-600 yd results to find mv for each load

Mine is sighted in at 200yds, only b/c that is the furthest range I have around here.

If I could I would sight it in at 400yds and If I do "holds" using my reticle I could reach 1000yds without doing any adjusting of the elevation knobs.

I top out my scope elevation adjustment, shoot the rifle at 100yds, if it`s 4mils high at 100yds, do the math and that distance becomes my zero. That way you can use all the adjustment the scope has in it. Why would anybody zero a Lapua for anything less than 500yds is odd to me.

I zero mine @ 100yrds and work out my mils up from there in 100yrd increments.

Rick

This is just my humble opinion but I think it depends on your use of the gun. If all you have is a 100yd range near you and you plan on just shooting it there it makes sense to zero it at 100yds. Although I have to add that shooting a .338 at 100yds is kinda like driving a dump truck to the grocery store to pick up milk. That being said, I'm like RHallenbeck. Mine is zeroed at 100yds and I work out my mil adjustments in 50yd increments out to whatever range I'm going to be shooting at. Good luck

100 yards

100 yards because I have other weapon systems also zero'd at 100 yards and don't want a totally different sighting system for different calibers.

The problem sighting in at 100yds is it takes up so much of the scope adjustments.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">100 yards because I have other weapon systems also zero'd at 100 yards and don't want a totally different sighting system for different calibers. </div></div>

Same here- I'll likely be adding more moa to my rail, which could change things, but with the 20 moa rail & the SS on it I should have enough travel to dial out to just shy of a mile.

100 yards with 40 moa, looses 10 moa to zero leaving 90 moa scope adjustment

For every rifle I plan to shoot past 300 yards then I make it's baseline zero 100 yards to ensure it is a good foundation for my ballistic tables that is neutral of wind or weather effects.

200m With a 20MOA base there is plenty of adjustment for further shots

I site in at 100y's. I would site at 250 but the range that I shoot at is always busy and It would be huge a hassel to stop the range and run down to the target line. I have a 20 moa base and my scope has 100 moa vert adjustment. 120 moa takes me out to 2350yards with my current load. 2350y should sustain me for awhile
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DirtD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I site in at 100y's. I would site at 250 but the range that I shoot at is always busy and It would be huge a hassel to stop the range and run down to the target line. I have a 20 moa base and my scope has 100 moa vert adjustment. 120 moa takes me out to 2350yards with my current load. 2350y should sustain me for awhile
smile.gif
</div></div>

Unless by pure luck your 100 yard zero leaves you at the very bottom of your optics elevation range you will not have 120 moa of up. If you want to really know count how much vert up you have remaining from your 100 zero.

mine is zeroed at 950 (just happens to be the longest target on the steel range) where I belong.

Jeffvn

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: excaliber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The problem sighting in at 100yds is it takes up so much of the scope adjustments. </div></div> No it doesn't. Unless it is a "single turn" scope, the maximum elevation adjustment is available regardless of zero distance.

300 with a 30moa base

100-Meters. I have enough cant in my base and mount, and enough elevation adjustment range in my scope to shoot a 250-gr or 300-gr Scenar until it goes sub-sonic and falls out of the sky.

Same as the rest of my rifles, 100 yards...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alpine 338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">100-Meters. I have enough cant in my base and mount, and enough elevation adjustment range in my scope to shoot a 250-gr or 300-gr Scenar until it goes sub-sonic and falls out of the sky. </div></div>

Bingo. A scope with 100 MOA total adjustment and a 20 MOA base will provide more than enough adjustment for virtually any practical use of the cartridge.

I zero mine at 100 yards, because that's what I use for a zero on my other centerfire rifles.

I don't get it: If you're zero'd at 100, then aren't you also zero'd at 200, and 300, and 400...

got a buddy with a .338 snipetac that is zeroed at 1000yds. With a 40moa base that is as far down as the scope will go. If you are shooting at less than 1000 you dont need Snipey.