• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing What range finder do you use while rifle hunting?

keith jones

Minuteman
Sep 14, 2010
Bulls Gap,TN
I have been looking at the redfield rangefinders. Do you all have any suggestions? I am not looking to spend more than 250 for one. I see no need. I have seen my buddys bushnells for 150 do just fine. I was just seeing what everyone else preferred.

Re: What range finder do you use while rifle hunting?

Have had my Leica 1200 scan for quite a few years now.

It's horseshit though, compared with my buddy's 1600 Leica.....

I used Zeiss 10x45's with rangefinder. Worked well it was their first time out.

ph friend of mine uses an old leica monocular. for ethological hunting (<300 m distance, we are basically bound to hit the heart within +- 4cm) even the oldest ones are good enough to tell you whether it's 250m or 400m.

Swaro laser guide is what I use now. But I have used a bushnell 400 and a 880. They could be counted on to range half those distances on exposed game (deer).

I use a set of Lupy LRF binos for hunting, & a Swaro Laser Guide for long range shooting.I may switch if hunting in a long range situation, & may use the Lupy if the weather isn't great for long range.

Leica 1600

I have a Swaro Laser guide 8X30 that I carry most of the time, however I also have a Bushnell Yardage Pro compact 800 that has performed well. I have compared it to the Swaro on a few occasions and the Bushnell will hang in there, as far as range feed back; to around the 800 yard range . The Swaro will range large objects out to around 1600 yards and will do better in poor light conditions. However, for the $$$ the Bushnell's have performed good for me.

I have a Nikon Rifle Hunter 550, I ranged antelope out to 509 yards this year with it.

leica, the glass, which also is a great low x optic, the great red defined crosshair, my 800 yrd leica has ranged over 950 for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: I Am Hero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bushnell Arc 1600 </div></div>

same here....its awesome. ranges small shit much farther than my rifle is capable. don't need to carry binos then either.

leica lrf 1200 work fine,look for a used one
in my opinion it's easier to handle than the CRF

I had been using a Nikon 600 but was finding that on antelope out in flat land it wasn't good for anything beyond about 300 yards. I got a Bushnell 1200 to replace it and it ranges small animals out past 800 yards, which is a nice bump up. And the Bushnell is under $300 on Amazon. Real bargain.

Mostly use my Leica Geovid binos 10x42. Works great and don't need to carry naother piece of gear.

That being said, I recently bought a the new Leica 1600 LRF and it is an incredible piece of equipment. It does out perform the bino mounted LRF.

Now I'm back to carrying the LRF and my binos...

I can't help you out on the lower end cost effective range finders. I have a Leica 800, Leica 1200, and Leica Geovid Binos. I also test drove a Zeiss 10x45 Bino/LRF for a month before sending them back to Zeiss with some recommendations for improvement. Zeiss will really be onto something when they get a way to manage panoramic tilt, and improve the visibility of the read out against snow, white sand, etc.

If you don't plan on shooting a long, long way, a used Leica can be had for the price of some of the less expensive new rangefinders.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killswitch engage</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: I Am Hero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bushnell Arc 1600 </div></div>

same here....its awesome. ranges small shit much farther than my rifle is capable. don't need to carry binos then either. </div></div>

Got one this season great for archery, short shooting and long range. Glass is okay but for the price its well worth it.

Leica 1200 scan. does the job just fine.

Had my Leica 1200 since 03. Put that thing through hell and back. It just works. Thinking about a new 1600 this summer though.

Leica, Zeiss, Bushnell elites are all good choices.

I also run the Leica 1200 and really like it. I have also in the past ran one of Leupold's units, the RX-IV it worked well for most hunting applications and it aslo gave you actual range and true ballistic range calculating for the angle of the shot. I would like to try a high end range finder some day if I can get my hands on a Leica Vactor, or something in that caliber, I was fortunate enough to look through one a year or so ago and all I can say is DAMN!

Leica Geovid 8x42. I like the bino/laser range combo.

Vector21005.jpg

This one....it's never far from me.

i use the leica geovid 10x42 i really like the laser range bino combo also. i love my leicas but cant wait to take a look at the new swaro el range

Swaro Laser Guide 8 x 30.

I havn't found a light condition it won't range in and it has such good glass I don't have to carry binoculars.

i got the zeiss prf and im very pleased with it. glass in it is ok, i dont like it as well as the glass in my conquest but its not bad by any means. i ranged cedar trees in the hill country at right under 1k yds. i have not had much trouble with the beam catching trees and brush when ranging deer. the key is a steady rest.

I have a Bushnell Elite 1600. Longest range on a deer thus far was this weekend at 698 yards. Had it range a small shed at 1653 though.

Plenty for me... for now anyway.