• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing What release agent for bedding do you use?

JelloStorm

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2010
Northeast Pennsylvania
Well, my scope is on the way so it's time to bed my McM HTG stock to my R700 action. Never did this before so lets hope I don't goof it up too much.

The stock already has the pillars molded into it so it's just a skim-bed job.

What release agent do you use and what have you found works better than others? I'll probably be using either Devcon or Marinetex if Midway USA has it. I'd prefer to order both from the same place if possible.

Re: What release agent for bedding do you use?

I just use Johnson's Paste Wax. Works great. Can be picked up at just about any hardware store and will last damn near forever. Put a thin coat on, lightly buff it smooth. Put another thin coat on and lightly buff that one smooth. GTG. I use lacquer thinner to clean it up afterwords.

Devcon for epoxy.

Brownells Acra spray on Release agent. Its thin, easy to use, and one can does about 5 rifles. Have had nothing but great results with it.

Order both from Brownells along with some guide screws and modeling clay if you dont already have them.

Blue painters tape is what I use for tape.

The term "skim bed" gets used a lot around here.
Sounds like you're doing a regular, full on bed job.

I tape only the bottom and sides of the lug, allowing the front surface to make contact. Some tape all but the back side.

Why use a wax that was made for some other purpose than bedding rifles when there are products specifically designed for this job? The spray on release agent goes on thinner than the waxes, covers better, and is pretty much fool-proof.

I use Devcon and had great success with Kiwi neutral shoe polish as a release agent. Can't beat the price. I use plumbers putty for creating "dams" or plugging areas I do not want the Devcon to go.

i second the johnson's paste wax. works great when used as described earlier and can be found locally. i like working with marine-tex and can source it local so that is what i use. i get the marine-tex

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Keith at PCR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Why use a wax that was made for some other purpose than bedding rifles when there are products specifically designed for this job? The spray on release agent goes on thinner than the waxes, covers better, and is pretty much fool-proof. </div></div>

why use the wax? because i can't find bedding specific release agent at the local feed and hardware store and it works damn good. and how much thicker is the johnson's paste wax after buffed off compared to your spray on release agent? have you measured it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and how much thicker is the johnson's paste wax after buffed off compared to your spray on release agent? have you measured it? </div></div>

How much thicker it is depends on how much you "buff" it in.

Either one works if applied right, but it's $6 per rifle to use the spray on, so price isn't an issue.

The spray on naturally covers better. Into all the little nooks and corners.

Its available online shipped to anywhere in then US, so availability isn't a problem.

It cleans up amazingly easy.

Its designed for, and proven as a epoxy release agent. Designed for firearm use.

So, I see it as being a smarter option than shoe polish.

I use Hornady OneShot case lube with Devcon and MarineTex.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Keith at PCR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and how much thicker is the johnson's paste wax after buffed off compared to your spray on release agent? have you measured it? </div></div>

How much thicker it is depends on how much you "buff" it in.

Either one works if applied right, but it's $6 per rifle to use the spray on, so price isn't an issue.

The spray on naturally covers better. Into all the little nooks and corners.

Its available online shipped to anywhere in then US, so availability isn't a problem.

It cleans up amazingly easy.

Its designed for, and proven as a epoxy release agent. Designed for firearm use.

So, I see it as being a smarter option than shoe polish. </div></div>

the johnson paste wax is about $7 for an amount that will last most people a lifetime. you can look in the can and know that you aren't going to run out in the middle of a project. if you do run out, you can go to any hardware store and get another can right now. when you buff it off, you can't tell it's even there. thickness is a non-issue if you use the simple method described earlier.

if buying a firearm specific release agent makes you sleep better at night, go for it. i'll stick with what i know works regardless of it's intended purpose. but then again, i use mink oil paste to as lube to size my brass since i can find it locally. finding the hornady brand paste lube locally isn't going to happen.

The best product I used was a liquid that was available with Bisonite bedding compound I would immerse the parts and then remove them allow to dry and proceed with bedding. I now regularly use Kiwi neutral polish or butchers wax both work well I think the kiwi will be my choice going forward unless someone knows where to get Bisonite release agent these days

I used Acra release before (not spray-on) and ended up having to re-coat the action of the rifle because the release agent would not come off or out of the nooks and crannies. Being blue, this was not acceptable. I've used Kiwi since then with nothing but good results, thickness of the release agent is important, because the thicker the release agent, the less accurate the bedded inlet will be.

-matt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: monteboy84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used Acra release before (not spray-on) and ended up having to re-coat the action of the rifle because the release agent would not come off or out of the nooks and crannies. Being blue, this was not acceptable. I've used Kiwi since then with nothing but good results, thickness of the release agent is important, because the thicker the release agent, the less accurate the bedded inlet will be.

-matt </div></div>

Thats something to think about for the blued rifles. Im glad you said that, thanks!

But for cerakote it rubs right off no problem.

What did it do to the blued finish? You said it wouldnt come off?? It just wipes off for me with a little alcohol. Did the bluing still look wet afterwards or something?
The bedding job comes out so tight around the action I swear if feels like a vacuum when you pull it out.

What extra long screws do you guys use to screw into the R700 action to guide it into the pillars? And what thickness and thread pitch are they in case I need to hit the hardware store?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JelloStorm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What extra long screws do you guys use to screw into the R700 action to guide it into the pillars? And what thickness and thread pitch are they in case I need to hit the hardware store? </div></div>

Buy a length of 1/4 28 all thread and make as many and as long as you want for a couple of bucks.As far as release agents the Brownells is just rebaged mold release.

Might be worth taking a peek at just a thought.

http://www.mclube.com/

Or buy pre-made ones that are nice and straight from Brownells for $5.
I wouldn't want all thread.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Edit</span> on the bluing question. Just noticed you said it wasnt the spray on. It was the blue shit right? That stuff sucks to work with imo.

I've used the blue stuff that leaves a film, waxes, and the spray on from Acra/Brownells. To me the spray on has no negatives so I stick with it. I dont mind paying $6 per rifle.

I've been using a Loctite brand 2-part epoxy that's left over from a Bell helicopter job. If it's good enough to keep helicopters in the air it's goof enough to bed a rifle.

I had this on a shelf at home. Goes on like grease, then dries. With a little buffing it's like it wasn't there.
10603.jpg

I use the 3M blue painters tape for masking things off too.

I also use Johnsons paste wax. Why, is simple, but to add a little to why. When rifles were bedded many years ago, all this job specific release stuff wasn't around. All the job specific stuff work fine, but like 300 said, you can get a can of Johnsons anywhere, and do 50 rifles with it. I was at McMillan Family last year with their bedding department for three days. Guess what they use? You got it, Johnsons. That's what they have always used, and it's really hard to beat their bedding jobs. They are flawless to say the least. BTW, this comes from a guy who swore by all those specific release agents.

Reactions: calib

There are lots of household products that are adequate for use as release agent in glass bedding rifles. At lease a .0001" layer of any non binding and low vapor pressure molecule will do, that includes; bear grease, salad oil, Brylcreem, ButchWax, shoe polish, Ciysco, butter, case lube, 3 in 1 oil, and locomotive grease.

But if you want to glass bed something where the a vacuum is broken to impregnate the work with the epoxy*, or inside of sealed optics, then use what Boeing uses for release agent, Dow Corning high vacuum grease.

*I am guessing that someone reading this is already playing with a vacuum to make Carbon fiber stocks.

McGuiar's Mirror Glaze mold release wax. About 12.00 for 11 oz can. Goes on like any paste wax, buffs off, cleans up easy. Really good stuff.

Spray doesn't go on any better than paste wax, it's just easier. You also have far less control over where it goes and a lot more waste.
JMO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Keith at PCR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Devcon for epoxy.

<span style="color: #FF0000">Brownells Acra spray on Release agent. Its thin, easy to use, and one can does about 5 rifles. Have had nothing but great results with it.</span>Order both from Brownells along with some guide screws and modeling clay if you dont already have them.

Blue painters tape is what I use for tape.

The term "skim bed" gets used a lot around here.
Sounds like you're doing a regular, full on bed job.

I tape only the bottom and sides of the lug, allowing the front surface to make contact. Some tape all but the back side.

Why use a wax that was made for some other purpose than bedding rifles when there are products specifically designed for this job? The spray on release agent goes on thinner than the waxes, covers better, and is pretty much fool-proof. </div></div>

totally agree with red part, except I can get 15+ rifles bedded from one spray can. Keith, how are you just getting 5 rifles done from one can ? you getting small spray cans maybe ? I get the can that's $25, I think it's 16oz

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use Hornady OneShot case lube with Devcon and MarineTex. </div></div>

this also works when I've ran out of the Brownells spray release. we have a lot of One Shot at the shop, nobody buys the stuff for case lube

PVA [Poly Vinyl Acetate] is a good one. It's specifically designed as a release agent for composite parts built in molds, so that when the part is cured it's easy to remove. AKA avoiding the much dreaded glue in experience.
http://itchingforfun.com/Product_Catalog/Release_Agents/release_agents.html
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/sto...;classNum=10299
Do a search for "mold release". It's available lots of places.

Put on 2'ish+ thin coats & you're good. And by virtue of it's being colored [translucent blue], @ least what I use, one can easily tell if all of the necessary spots have been covered with release agent. And on occasion I've sprayed on a layer of Pam cooking spray on top of the cured PVA with no ill effects.

PVA's water soluble BTW, so that if things do get "stuck", often times just running some water between the two unhappily married pieces unglues things. Said feature is designed into the product.

As to action screws for bedding, you can pick some up from Chad Dixon here on the Hide. http://www.longriflesinc.com/products.html
Or the easy, 2-minute, hardware store fix, is just to pick up some long 1/4x28 bolts. Then use a dremel to shorten the threaded end, & also to cut the heads off of the bolts. And if you want to get fancy, after you chop off the heads, cut a notch where the head formerly was, to fit a flathead screwdriver.
Buy the bolts to be "modified" 1/2"+ longer than you think you need, minimum. Also, you may need to tidy up the threads on'em a touch, post shortening, with a small file.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Keith at PCR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wouldn't want all thread.
</div></div>

I don't mind the thread, I tightly wrap my long screws with painter's taper to center up in the pillars.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: phideaux</div><div class="ubbcode-body">totally agree with red part, except I can get 15+ rifles bedded from one spray can. Keith, how are you just getting 5 rifles done from one can ? you getting small spray cans maybe ? I get the can that's $25, I think it's 16oz </div></div>
5 rifles was a conservative estimate. I didnt want to say a number too high and get called out on it.

When I bed a rifle, I dont just apply release to the action and places bedding is going, I coat every square inch of metal with release. So if I drip epoxy on the barrel or something it chips right off later. Not necessary, but I do it.

Plus we use it for bedding rails, and anything we need release for. More than just bedding rifles.

If only used on rifles, I could see getting a dozen or so.

Making it $3 per rifle....

Im amazed more people dont use the spray on and that so many use a wax. Its the cats meow for release agent imo.

I used the Brownells wipe-on release agent in the past, and just switched to Kiwi. I just did an M14 yesterday (not easy to bed), and the Kiwi works wayyy better. Goes on less messy, is thinner, and sticks to steel-bed much less. Wish I would have used it the first time I bedded an M14.

I use Epoxease. It is a mold release agent. Someone said beofre that Brownells Acra was just a re-labled mold release, they
have pretty much hit the nail on the head.

I got a case of Epoxease (12 cans) for around 75 shipped. Beets the hell out of one can for 20.

My problem is finding anything aerosol based. It is all hazmat, and a PITA to get up here.

Fishing's good tho.

+1 for the johnson's paste wax....it works the best....

Im from NZ, so it would be wrong not to use Kiwi.

You can buff it as thin or thinner than anything else and it works, each to his own but for stuff I can put on my HAIX K2's when my Gregor Chemie runs out, its a dual purpose (aka "Tactical") choice
smile.gif

Chris

NZ

Kiwis are from here.