• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What reloading manuals do you have?

JelloStorm

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2010
Northeast Pennsylvania
Seems there are some negative reviews on Midway with the Hornady and Nosler load manuals.

I'm primarily reloading for 5.56 AR's and my .308 bolt gun if you guys can recommend any of them and why it would be of great help.

Thanks guys!

Re: What reloading manuals do you have?

"Seems there are some negative reviews on Midway with the Hornady and Nosler load manuals."

Most such "reviews" are worthless. You would get similar reviews of the Bible from people who 'think' it doesn't say enough and an equal number who 'think' it says too much.

To answer your question, I have nearly three dozen manuals. I could list them but it wouldn't be very helpful.

I have ~ 50 reloading manuals, thanks to old manuals being for sale on Ebay.

I do not use load books any more.
I use Quickload for a starting point.

I handload for; 19 Badger,.222, .223, 22-250, 6mmBR, .243, 25acp, 25/35, 250/3000, 257 Robert Ackley Improved, 260Rem, 6.5x55, 270, 7x57mm, 7mm Rem mag, 32acp, 32sw, 32S&WLong, 32-20, 7.62x25mm, 30-30, 303Sav, 300Sav, 7.62x39mm, 308, 7.5Swiss, 30-06, 300WM, 303Brit,7.62x54R, 8x57mm, 338WM, .380, 9x19mm, 9x23mm, 357 Sig, 38 sp, 357 mag, 38sw, 40sw, 10mm, 10.4mm, 401 power mag, 44mag, 45acp, 45Colt, .410, 45/70, 50CB and 12 ga.

Lyman, for starters.

Plus, I've got a about a dozen or so 'company handouts' promoting their own specific powders and whatnot.

But Quickload for the optimalist details per individual cartridge.

Speer #12 (1994) came with my first press, Hornady #4 (1991) probably bought just before #5 came out (2000), Sierra #5 (2004), various powder company handouts, and a few down loaded PDFs and cut and paste info from bullet and powder websites.

Have you checked the reloading depot threads? There is a lot of "starting points" for many cartridges. I have uploaded some manuals in PDF format, some older, some newer. Thread named Reloading manuals in PDFs. There's a link to Google Docs which enables you to download or view the manuals.

Link below
Reloading Manuals

Have bought a large number of reloading manuals, especially in my beginning days, as they hold lots of good and basic info.
With the advent of the internet, have only bought a Hornady in the last many years. Though I really do like the Hodgen manuals.
If you are interested in some of the older manuals, feel free to tell me which ones and I'll look to see if I have it.

"Well, the complaints are outdated info which is a good argument."

I've never considered any loading data to be 'outdated' if the powder I'm interested in is listed. ??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Well, the complaints are outdated info which is a good argument."

I've never considered any loading data to be 'outdated' if the powder I'm interested in is listed. ?? </div></div>

This

Lyman, Speer, Hornady, Lapua, Vihta Vuori. The Precision Shooting Reloading guide edited by Dave Brennan is excellent. Get a chronograph next. The Magnetospeed is a good choice.

A buddy of mine just ordered the Magnetospeed. Cool idea and it kinda looks like a bayonet.

All the common pamphlets,

Speer #12

Speer #13

Nosler IV

Sierra V

Hodgdon 2012 Magazine

Chris

LEE load book's, both of them.
Not so much for the load data but the book's themselve's are a wealth of info.

The Hornady is my first port of call, I use the Vihtavouri and Hodgden online databases too. Keep meaning to buy a Sierra manual too as I've found the pdf's on the 6mm BR site useful (on those selected calibres).

I find that Quickload is right on the money predicting Varget pressure and velocity.

I don't always use load books, but when I do, I prefer Sierra.

Hornady, Lyman, Sierra. But a lot easier to just go the forum here and see what people with similar setups are using. I feel I actually get better info.

I have a few lyman manuals a lee book barnes nosler seirra speer hornady books. i also like the cheap caliber specific load books. They get alot of bad reviews but they are pages out of everybodys manuals. People bitch alot about manuals but they are a reference as to where to start not the last word.

try the loadbook usa manuals. they pick out data from a number of bullet and powder manufacturers. on occassion though they may not have data on newer bullets - for example the .300 wm manual i have doeant have anything on hornadys 208 grn amax, which has gotten popular

Hodgdon, Lee, Sierra, and Lyman for me. Each of the manuals has something different to offer. For example, Sierra has a nice section on loading .223 for the AR-15. Sierra and Lyman both tag the most accurate load. Some list powders others don't.

Personally, when dealing with explosive materials, I really like as many "expert" opinions as possible to compare.

I have the Hornady Manual and it has really pissed me off. Like the literature I've read says, always start with the starting loads and work up. Well in my experience if you do that with Hornady your handgun rounds will not cycle. When I first got into reloading of course there was a learning curve, and I jumped the gun and got excited. Being excited about reloading I decided to reload 200 rounds at Hornady’s starting load. Every single round failed to cycle my Ruger 9mm or my Beretta 92. So I had to pull them and bump up. It wasn’t until I was running around max load that I could get consistent operation. Recently I needed to reload for my 38 special, even with starting near max, I was having a problem with unburned powder fouling up my revolver. The recommendation for that problem, bump up the charge to create more pressure. Now I don’t even open it up, I just use the web. Hogdon’s website has some pretty good info on it IMHO.

...every manual I can get my grimey paws on...

No such thing as too many reloading manuals.
smile.gif

When I first started reloading, I bought most of the big name reloading manuals but after I got more experience reloading, they just decorate my shelf. Nowadays, if I start loading a new cartridge, I start with the load data provided on the powder manufacturer's websites (e.g. Hodgdon, Alliant, etc.), or posters here and on other message boards (you have to be cautious with stuff like that though)..

More useful to me were the ABC's of Reloading, the how-to section in the front of the Lyman reloading manual, and Precision Shooting Magazine's reloading manual (advanced techniques). Also, this site and the accurateshooter.com/6mmbr.com message boards.

Sierra, Hornady and a 1970's Speer manual.

Sierra, Lyman, and a couple handouts but I am always looking to expand. Seems to me you can never have enough information.

Last year I subscribed to Load Data and down loaded a bunch of data from multiple sources for the cartridges I load or am interested in. It works pretty well.

I have hardcopy commercial books from Hodgdon, Hornady, Nosler, Speer, Vihtavuori. They are great for the beginner that is learning the ins and outs of handloading.

I also use QuickLoad but I have not found it to be very accurate for quite a few powders. Plus there are many new powders that are not in the program. But most of the powder manufacturers offer recipes for popular ammo combinations.

Lastly, I never use a loading recipe I find in forums without first comparing it to commercial loading data.

"I decided to reload 200 rounds at Hornady’s starting load. Every single round failed to cycle my Ruger 9mm or my Beretta 92. So I had to pull them and bump up."

Not trying to be critical but loading up a large quanity of untried ammo for an autoloader before testing it for function wasn't the manual's failure. The ammo that 'failed' you may very well have worked nicely in another pistol.

Loading manuals used correctly are safe pressure guides but they are NOT gospel truth for every firearm ever made in any caliber.

Hornady and Speer manuals.

Bought my first one when Nixon was president it was a Speer, then Seirra. To lazy to walk around to count all them around now, some by my bed, some by the computer, with the majority in the man lair.
Probably around 30 commerical loading manuals and stacks of the freebe loading guides given away before the internet.
If one is at a garage sale, it comes home. Don't care if it's the fourth duplicate, always have a grandson who needs one.