• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What scope do you have on your 22?

I guess I am the El cheapo guy on here......

I have 5he Athlon Argos BTR in 6-24×50 ffp moa on my Savage Mkll FVSR. For a sub $400 scope, I really really like it.

View attachment 6964494

I had that same scope on my 22 Tactical 10/22's. It is a very nice scope and features for the money. The only thing I did't like was the feel of the turrets even though they proved to be accurate in terms of adjustment. This is a night and day improvement over what was available at that price just a few years ago.

Reactions: Alabusa
Another Athlon Argos BTR ... but in MIL ... needed something that could parallax down low. Don't need the turrets to track or even the reticle to track. Just need to be able to zero it and I've been able to to that ! Got this scope strictly for dot drill at 25yds and 50yds. That said, I've also used it for tree rat slaying. For some reason they've decided to "munch" on our deck and we don't approve.

45473446501_20e890514f_z.jpg

I ordered the Argos and the Tikka T1x at the same time, back in April, with the intent that that combo would be my dedicated .22 dot drill setup. But still no Tikka in sight. The stoner .22lr(16) normally is my night ratter and it needs to get back into that role, with a little 1x thermal on top.

ER5XuYnh.jpg

But for now, the dots are dominating, so the argos stays on. Hoping the Tikka arrives any day :)

I guess I am the El cheapo guy on here......

I have 5he Athlon Argos BTR in 6-24×50 ffp moa on my Savage Mkll FVSR. For a sub $400 scope, I really really like it.

View attachment 6964494

I wouldn't bet on being the cheap guy on here. I don't compete with the two rifles in question, but one wears an SWFA SS 10x (Savage Mark II TR) and the other wears an SS 20x (CZ 452 Varmint). Pretty cheap, but rather practical IMO; lots of elevation adjustment and reliable tracking.

Cheap is relative but the Argos BTR 6-24 has been good enough to get me state wins the last 3 years in a row in freestyle division, competing in a sport called Field Target air rifle. No way could anybody win with a scope that doesn't track well and return to zero every time. It's usually 1 or 2 points separating 1st and 2nd place so having a reliable scope is important.

My CZ 452 wears an Aimpoint CompC

452 with aimpoint left.jpg

Last edited:
I've had a (2) Leupold Mark 4 16x's , one with TMR and one with Premier USMC football Mil Dot. I recently "graduated" to a Mark 5 HD 5-25x56 with the TMR reticle. Currently mounted on my Remington 40x with the Modocam conversion to accept the V22 mags.
Remington 40x.jpg

That is a nice compliment to Athlon and makes me feel good about my purchase. I want one of the high end scopes for my Sako .300 win mag.

Congrats on your state wins!

Reactions: steve123
I'm using "not running" this S&B 12-50x56 on my Anschutz 1710 XLR.

0923181900a.jpg
I thought I was the only person in the gun world who positively fucking HATES the use of the verb "run" as a synonym for "use".

Whoever started that affectation can go choke on a dick.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kisssofdeath
I love nice expensive rifles and scopes but is it just me or are some people putting way to much scope on their 22's?

I have a number of 22 target rifles and have found for bench shooting a Weaver T-36 is perfect for mew. For standing I use a variable set to 12 power as more causes too much wobble. For "tactical" matches a variable is usually set on one power and never changed unless a portion of the match requires standing, sitting, or kneeling.

Why not save your money as some on this thread have done and purchase ammo to train with rather than sink it into a $1500+ scope. You can buy SK Pistol Match for $560 a case and I believe your match scores will reflect a increase in your proficiency.

Just my thought and what has worked for me.

I like having my rimfire feel just like their centerfire counterparts. If that means having a 5-25 on top than I am ok with it.

When I shoot smallbore F-Class with my Elrod 40X, I like my 12-50 with 1/8 MOA clicks. One click can keep me centered in the X-Ring, when 1/10 mil clicks can move me from one side of the X to the other. When shooting on electronic targets there is no scoring rings to see, just a black blob to hold center of mass on.

I love nice expensive rifles and scopes but is it just me or are some people putting way to much scope on their 22's?

I have a number of 22 target rifles and have found for bench shooting a Weaver T-36 is perfect for mew. For standing I use a variable set to 12 power as more causes too much wobble. For "tactical" matches a variable is usually set on one power and never changed unless a portion of the match requires standing, sitting, or kneeling.

Why not save your money as some on this thread have done and purchase ammo to train with rather than sink it into a $1500+ scope. You can buy SK Pistol Match for $560 a case and I believe your match scores will reflect a increase in your proficiency.

Just my thought and what has worked for me.
I have not had time to draw up the mag in CAD yet. I am envisioning a 2 piece body made from delrin or equivalent held together with screws and brass inserts....

As it stands the OEM mag assembly is rather large and is distinctly easier than a cz or savage to reload on the clock. The angle of attack on the loaded round is rather steep

I can't fault this thought process but for me, I shoot my rimfires more than any other rifles at this point. Since I've already got the scopes, in my mind, I'm better off to use them on rifles that are being shot a lot, instead of sitting in the box or in the safe on centerfires that aren't shot nearly as much...

I can't fault this thought process but for me, I shoot my rimfires more than any other rifles at this point. Since I've already got the scopes, in my mind, I'm better off to use them on rifles that are being shot a lot, instead of sitting in the box or in the safe on centerfires that aren't shot nearly as much...

WOW! I had this same thought process a few years ago. Down to "sitting in the safe" and all.

Reactions: Rolltide

That's my thought too, the small amount I actually shoot my center fires I could just switch the scope back if I want to shoot it, then change back to my 22.

I thought I was the only person in the gun world who positively fucking HATES the use of the verb "run" as a synonym for "use".

Whoever started that affectation can go choke on a dick.

Count me in too.

As for scopes, I use a Vortex Viper PST 1-4x. It's actually a pretty nice scope for more rifle but it works like a champ on this .22. I built this rifle from Kidd parts and a Liberty Pinnacle 2 integrally suppressed bbl. The Kidd receiver and guts are amazing, their single stage trigger is really nice. Super quiet and accurate. This was also my first Vortex scope and it impressed me for the price. I love this rifle, and so does everyone that shoots it.
IMG_0837.JPG

My SBR'd factory 10/22 has a 4" titanium bbl. and folding stock. Trigger sucks, especially compared to a Kidd. SS folder is heavier than it looks. That one wears a Millet 1" red dot I bought 20 years ago that also runs like a champ. Millet makes a really nice red dot for the price FWIW.

WOW! I had this same thought process a few years ago. Down to "sitting in the safe" and all.
I would have expected a lot more range reports now that there out there. I want a Lipsey and will have to wait a while to get one. This magazine thing is bugging me though. I hope an AICS mag could be designed.

Great minds.....thinking alike!

I've got a spare Leupold MK6 3-18x44 that i'm hoping to put on a CZ455 trainer.
Unfortunately I won't be able to get to the range for a while to see if I can adjust the parallax down to 50 yards.
Is this achievable?

Like someone above said, it depends upon the job what scope you need/use---I have a Leupold straight 40 power with target turrets and a 1/4 minute dot reticle on my mini palma rifle (Kimber 82G with an XTSP 2 stage trigger and a Benchmark barrel) and my wife uses a Sightron 8 to 32 power with a target dot on fine cross hairs on her Walther Olympic for the same game. Both rifles are set up almost identically to an F-Open rifle used off of SEB NEO front rests and rear bags. (We're talking tiny groups here---if you can't put them all in the 10 ring, YOU will probably LOSE!! X count is used for tie breaking (the X-ring is just under 3/4" diameter) and is usually what determines the top 3--and I've hit the X ring 31 times out of 45 shots and STILL finished 3rd!! :oops: We both also shoot in a club match using essentially NRA smallbore Hunter Pistol targets (chickens, pigs, turkeys and rams---the rams you have your choice...the big Hunter pistol targets shot standing or the little NRA smallbore rifle targets shot prone)... suspended on rubber belting and I shoot an Anschutz 1712 in that (standing, standing, sitting and prone positions in the class I'm in) with an OLD Leupold 6.5 to 20 VARI-X III with a 1/4 MOA target dot in it. I shoot that at 20 power most all of the time. She shoots an old Kimber 82 with the same scope model Leupold on it, but she shoots it cranked to about 14 power. There are a lot of nice scopes around....just figure out what you need. As we used to say in the Army--"Match the equipment to the mission"!

I put an Athlon Midas Tact 6-24x50 mil/mil on my CZ 452 Varmint. Went to the range yesterday and shot some damn nice groups at 100 yards. The bench is concrete with old folding chairs. Being short for reach on the bench, and VERY unstable, the chairs left a lot to be desired. But I did shoot some nice groups, with a 3/4" group and a few 1" groups. With a more stable seating arrangement, and being able to position myself behind the rifle in a more comfortable manner should lead to better and more consistent shooting.

Love the Athlon Midas Tac.

My 10/22 takedown wears a Sig Romeo5 for quick target acquisition and my 455 wears a Leupold VXII 4-12x40 with AO that has the LR (BDC) reticle and it can be adjusted down to about 10 yards.

I put an Athlon Midas Tact 6-24x50 mil/mil on my CZ 452 Varmint. Went to the range yesterday and shot some damn nice groups at 100 yards. The bench is concrete with old folding chairs. Being short for reach on the bench, and VERY unstable, the chairs left a lot to be desired. But I did shoot some nice groups, with a 3/4" group and a few 1" groups. With a more stable seating arrangement, and being able to position myself behind the rifle in a more comfortable manner should lead to better and more consistent shooting.

Love the Athlon Midas Tac.
You’ll be happy with that scope!!

My Vudoo currently has a Vortex PST Gen II 5-25 on it. If I shoot this gun as much as I think I will, I'll probably upgrade the scope.

I am currently set up running a Vortex pst gen2 thats 5-25 and it appears will be a very nice fit for what I plan to do

Vudoo 18" in a AX chassis.
started with a NXS 5.5-22
then moved things around in the safe now it wears a Kahles 10-50 Moak.
the Kahles is a realllly nice scope, turrets are spot on and there is no shift from shot strings that i have sound with other scopes.
over the years i had more than a few scopes that may shift 1/16 - 1/8".
you can really only tell this with short range benchrest stuff but youd be surprised.

started getting warm and fuzzy about the SB 5-45 but that might have started to slide toward a March 10-60 High Master.
jsut cant find too many reviews of the March yet

I'm running a CZ455 with a Bushnell Forge MIL/FFP 3-18x optic on an Area 419 rail. I've been really happy with it so far.

I have a SFWA 10x fixed on my RPRim. It serves its purpose but I would like more magnification on it soon. Had my 12-42 BR NF on it and loved it but couldn't justify using a scope that cost three times the rifle. Do they make a quality rimfire high mag scope? would think they could cut some corners on ruggedness when its being mounted on a 22 vs 50

On my Kidd i'm using a Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x50 LR/T that I picked up brand new for $600. I'm not crazy about it, but the price was right.

20190130_183640.jpg

First group I made after sighting her in. 10 shots at 50 yards. Not great but not bad for a first time out with it.

20170616_155340.jpg

Bushnell LRTSi 4.5-18x44 on a Ruger American Rimfire. It works for me. Parallax only goes down to 50 yards and I understand how that could be a deal breaker for some
20190126_171603.jpg

Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-16 x44 FFP moa reticle on my CZ 455. The turrets are a little "spongy" but it tracks well and I really like the reticle. Good scope for the price.

Trying to decide on an optic. I currently have a nf nex 3.5-15 f1 for my .22. I will be using the gun for prs .22 matches. I own a s&b 5-25 too, but it lives on my elr rig. What do y’all recommend for prs matcha with the .22. For CENTERFIRE 25 power is plenty for me. Even elr 25 is no handicap. Just don’t have much expirence with .22 matches.

Vortex PST Gen2 here. It goes down to 25 yards. good not great for that reason but meh, I enjoy stretching it out more

Attachments

• 20190129_222206.jpg
    20190129_222206.jpg
    568.4 KB · Views: 67
I'm currently using a Vortex AMG but might be changing it out sometime soon for a Athalon Ares ETR. I currently have 27 mils of elevation but the change would get me 32 mils and get me out to close to 600 yards on the turrets. The Athlon would also give me a 25 yard parallax were the AMG only goes down to 35 yards. That would setup my rifle for everything from NRL22 to ERL22 matches.

I'm currently using a Vortex AMG but might be changing it out sometime soon for a Athalon Ares ETR. I currently have 27 mils of elevation but the change would get me 32 mils and get me out to close to 600 yards on the turrets. The Athlon would also give me a 25 yard parallax were the AMG only goes down to 35 yards. That would setup my rifle for everything from NRL22 to ERL22 matches.

You'll love the floating dot on the .22.

At the moment i’m using a Leupold Mk6 with a 20 MOA rail on my vudoo.
No parallax issues at 50 yards.

Trying to decide on an optic. I currently have a nf nex 3.5-15 f1 for my .22. I will be using the gun for prs .22 matches. I own a s&b 5-25 too, but it lives on my elr rig. What do y’all recommend for prs matcha with the .22. For CENTERFIRE 25 power is plenty for me. Even elr 25 is no handicap. Just don’t have much expirence with .22 matches.

I put my 3-20 on my go-to centerfire, and my 5-25 on my 22. Why??? I need the 25x more on the 22 to see hits on paper sometimes, then with the centerfire I'm on 12-15x for most stages anyway and would rarely use 25x, only for shooting groups, etc.