• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What scope in the $400-600 range for new rifle?

DamnDave

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2009
California
I am brand new to long range shooting. Been shooting handguns and semi-autos for a while, but no real experience in this field.

Right now I am in the process of putting together my rifle. It will include:

Remington 700 SPS Varmint 308
Some sort of trigger group
Bell & Carlson A5 stock
Rings & Base will probably be Badger Ordnance

The most trouble I am running into is the scope. I will be shooting benched 99% of the time. Paper shooting from 100-200 yrds and steel from 200-600 yrds.

My budget is between $400-700 (I do get Dealer's cost). Illuminated reticle is not a big deal. I do want either a mil/mil or moa/moa.

Thanks

Re: What scope in the $400-600 range for new rifle?

Do you want FFP or SFP?
Do you care if you have matching turrets or are you okay with mil/moa?

If you get dealers cost, look at the Weaver 3-15 tactical. It is a FFP scope and should fit into your budget.
I am running a Falcon Menace 4-14 and am very pleased with it.
My Dad just got a Weaver Tactical (the Midway model), he is sending it back because there is a fingerprint on the inside of the ocular lens, but overall it is a very nice scope and the turrets are absolutely awesome. I never realized how little feedback and how "mushy" my Falcon turrets were until I turned those babies. Overall a very nice scope and on sale until the end of July (300 bones). This scope is a Midway exclusive.
Nikon Monarchs have excellent glass and are also in your price bracket.
Also, don't worry about the trigger, it is easily adjusted as long as you don't go below 3 lbs they are pretty good to go just make sure you seal it with fingenail polish after you adjust it.
That will save you 140 bucks that can go towards your optics.
Now your talking Bushnell Elite 4200 FFP tactical money.
You may also want to give the Burris XTR a look, they usually have pretty damn good glass.

I can never give first hand experience advice to anyone but I read up on a lot about scopes and what I feel the best value on the market currently is the Vortex Optics.
http://www.cstactical.com/Store/OPTICS/R...RAD-or-MOA.html
This is a 4-16x50 PST series if you can stretch for another $100. If you cant then you can get the regular Viper 6.5-20x44mm or 6.5-20x50mm for you price range. The drawbacks of the regular Viper series is that the turrets are capped as well as 1/4 MOA. It does have a mildot option though. If I were you, I would get the extra $100 and get the PST. If you want better glass than that, you can also get the Sightron II Big Sky series. They dont have the features like Vortex does but they offer a great tracking and glass scope. The drawbacks of Sightron scopes are the 1/4 MOA turrets and 1" tube. They also have a mildot option as well though. Good luck!

FFP would definitely be nice, but it does bring the price up some.

I was actually looking at the Vortex 4-16x50 PST. Unfortunately I do not get a Dealer's cost on Vortex.

I don't know anything about the MOA or MRAD. So I guess I will be learning it from scratch. MRAD (Mil-Mil?) will probably be easier for me since I think this is what my friends (spotters) use.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AlliedArmory</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FFP would definitely be nice, but it does bring the price up some.

I was actually looking at the Vortex 4-16x50 PST. Unfortunately I do not get a Dealer's cost on Vortex.

I don't know anything about the MOA or MRAD. So I guess I will be learning it from scratch. MRAD (Mil-Mil?) will probably be easier for me since I think this is what my friends (spotters) use.</div></div>

For your price range go Vortex. Great value. For the ranges you will be shooting the Super Sniper 3-9 would be worth a look.

For $475 - I've been extremely happy with my 5.5-25x50 Falcon FFP MLR reticle MRAD scope.

Bah. From what I am hearing the Vortex PST 4-16x50 FFP is about 3-4 months away.

What other scopes are out there for me?

Either a moa/moa or mil/mil FFP with external turrets. My budget did go up to about $750 max. I am totally fine with a used scope.