• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What scope is better

Jareds20

Private
Minuteman
Nov 19, 2019
I’m looking at purchasing a scope and have four I’m really looking at. Will be going on a savage msr 10 hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor using it for elk hunting and target shooting.

midas tac 6-24 mil/mil
Nikon fx1000 4-16 MRAD
Vortex viper pst gen 2 3-15 mrad

budget is 600.00

Don't have any hands-on with the others that were mentioned, but I'm partial to the Vortex Viper. Mac(y)

Reactions: 92trk
I love my FX1000. That being said Vortex and Athlon are far better choices. I would go with the Vortex.

Reactions: Sffred
Did you find a Gen II PST new somewhere for 600, or is that a used price?

Call me an oddball but I personally think the Midas TAC has better glass than the Viper PST Gen 2.

At least with the very limited number I’ve through side by side out in the field, not in a store, the Midas TAC had better glass quality.

The warranty between Athlon and Vortex is the same, with the exception that I think Vortex will still warranty a scope that has been painted, whereas Athlon will not.

Capped Windage turret is also another benefit for the Midas TAC, again, in my opinion. Between all the different ways people carry rifles(slings, backpacks, etc.) it is easy for a Windage knob to get turned if it is not capped or doesn’t have a locking feature. Maybe you need to shoulder the rifle quickly to shoot, whose going to stop and look at the windage turret? Not many people. Elevation is easy on the Midas TAC with the Hard Zero stop. Not sure about what mechanism the Viper uses on the elevation turret.

Just my opinion. I went down a similar path you’re taking and decided the Midas TAC was the route for me. I loved the first one so much I bought a second, and already have plans to buy a 3rd and 4th TAC. I have two 6-24’s currently, and plan to get two 4-16’s

Reactions: Poorboyr
nikon supposedly may soon not be making rifle scopes so there warranty may or may not be worth anything in the future . Have you seen the posts on https://arkenopticsusa.com/ 600 dollars is not a bad price for 6x24x50 34mm could be the same glass as the athlon which is probably the same glass as the vortex but less money than either just not illuminated .

Reactions: 260284
I’m also considering going with a Primary arms slx 3-18 50 mm ffp Apollo
What do you guys think

I’m looking at purchasing a scope and have four I’m really looking at. Will be going on a savage msr 10 hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor using it for elk hunting and target shooting.

midas tac 6-24 mil/mil
Nikon fx1000 4-16 MRAD
Vortex viper pst gen 2 3-15 mrad

budget is 600.00

If those were the choices I think I'd go with the SWFA 3-15x42 FFP on sale now for $400.

Reactions: tansinator
You think the SWFA is better than those other Choices for what reasons other then price. I looked through my brothers yesterday and I didn’t really like the turrets and how mushy they kinda felt plus no true zero stop.

Ditch the primary arms, the other suggestions are going to be leaps and bounds better... Plus primary arms reticles are basically useless, unless you plan on shooting at zombies (IMHO)
Ok thanks for the info, I really thought of them last as a possibility but I’m leaning towards the other options.

Of those I would go with vortex. But for slightly more I would get the bushnell lrts 3-12 from cameraland

Vortex.
97B87E8B-01DE-41CC-847B-48566B663CA3.jpeg

You think the SWFA is better than those other Choices for what reasons other then price. I looked through my brothers yesterday and I didn’t really like the turrets and how mushy they kinda felt plus no true zero stop.

I have a PST 2. It's the only scope I've ever had to send back for warranty work. One of the turrets came off in my hand. They have a great warranty, you might need to use it.

We're not talking about a Razor so showing a picture of a safe full of them means nothing to me. Apples and oranges.

I've owned 4 SWFA scopes and currently have 2. The glass in the 5-20x50 that I had is similar to what's in my 6-24 PST 2 to my eyes. I think the durability of SWFA scopes speaks for itself and I can attest to that. The current models may not have all the bells and whistles you're looking for. There is a member here IIRC that sells a zero stop for them if that's what's stopping you. Or I would understand if you said you're fond of a particular reticle.

There is someone on this site uses SWFA for backups and/or loaners. I have the utmost respect for this person's opinion. Rethinking your options you can also afford a Weaver Tactical 3-15x50 EDMR. Another scope around $600 built like a tank but again an older model. IMO, it has better feeling turrets than many in that price range.

I'm not sure the critiques you apply to your brother's scope wouldn't apply to any scope in your price range.

I have a PST 2. It's the only scope I've ever had to send back for warranty work. One of the turrets came off in my hand. They have a great warranty, you might need to use it.

We're not talking about a Razor so showing a picture of a safe full of them means nothing to me. Apples and oranges.

I've owned 4 SWFA scopes and currently have 2. The glass in the 5-20x50 that I had is similar to what's in my 6-24 PST 2 to my eyes. I think the durability of SWFA scopes speaks for itself and I can attest to that. The current models may not have all the bells and whistles you're looking for. There is a member here IIRC that sells a zero stop for them if that's what's stopping you. Or I would understand if you said you're fond of a particular reticle.

There is someone on this site uses SWFA for backups and/or loaners. I have the utmost respect for this person's opinion. Rethinking your options you can also afford a Weaver Tactical 3-15x50 EDMR. Another scope around $600 built like a tank but again an older model. IMO, it has better feeling turrets than many in that price range.

I'm not sure the critiques you apply to your brother's scope wouldn't apply to any scope in your price range.
I think I am more fond of the Christmas tree reticle also but I’ve never actually shot with one it just looks better to my eye is all.

Arken scopes are getting a lot of positive feedback from a lot of people and it is right in your price range. Seems to be clearer than most $1K scopes, they track well and feel better than most in its price range.

I love my PST gen2 3-15x44 in EBR-7C. Thats my vote. But if you can get any of the PST g2 reticles for $600 that’s a deal!

I like the Arken from what I saw I just really don’t like the reticle they came out with it leaves a lot to be desired.

Call me an oddball but I personally think the Midas TAC has better glass than the Viper PST Gen 2.

At least with the very limited number I’ve through side by side out in the field, not in a store, the Midas TAC had better glass quality.

The warranty between Athlon and Vortex is the same, with the exception that I think Vortex will still warranty a scope that has been painted, whereas Athlon will not.

Capped Windage turret is also another benefit for the Midas TAC, again, in my opinion. Between all the different ways people carry rifles(slings, backpacks, etc.) it is easy for a Windage knob to get turned if it is not capped or doesn’t have a locking feature. Maybe you need to shoulder the rifle quickly to shoot, whose going to stop and look at the windage turret? Not many people. Elevation is easy on the Midas TAC with the Hard Zero stop. Not sure about what mechanism the Viper uses on the elevation turret.

Just my opinion. I went down a similar path you’re taking and decided the Midas TAC was the route for me. I loved the first one so much I bought a second, and already have plans to buy a 3rd and 4th TAC. I have two 6-24’s currently, and plan to get two 4-16’s
If you don’t mind me asking how much did you pick you’re Midas tac up for?

If you love the Nikon, why are the others better?
Nikon is getting out of the rifle scope business. No matter how much I like it I wouldn’t recommend over another brand that’s in the game for the long haul , both with good customer support.

For $600 or less? Meopta Optika6 all day

I own both the PST 2 and the Midas. I don't consider either one as being particularly suited for a hunting role but if I had to choose I would go with the Vortex for the illuminated reticle. IMO the Midas has better glass though.

Another vote for Athlon scopes. I have three and really like them. Great value for your money.

SWFA is having a sale right now I'd look at it.