• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

what scope on your AR for long range?

adamsmith007

Private
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2011
Hey guys. What scopes are you using on your AR's for long range shooting (600-800 yds). Been doing some research and been told to stick with a scope with minimum elevation adjustment of 80 MOA. Curious what you guys are using on your AR's.

Re: what scope on your AR for long range?

What's your budget, rifle/caliber? That much available travel isn't a bad thing, but not absolutely necessary either if you're running a canted base with a flatter shooting round.

I have a SWFA SS 3-9x42, SWFA SS 5-20x50, Leupold CQBSS and a S&B 3-12x50 inbound. Each one has a different application and are for three different rifles and calibers.

After application budget dictates a lot on scope selection, so help us help you. Need more info....

I run either a Weaver 3-15x FFP or SS 5-20x FFP on my AR10's/15's for precision work. For less precision I run a dot or 1-4x optic. A good 10x fixed scope will work very well if you are shooting min/man. For precision magnification is your friend... to an extent (20-22x max usually best around 15x with mirage).

On my Oberland OA15 I use a S&B 3-12 PMII plus a aimpoint micro mounted at 45° for short range

I think a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x FFP would be your best choice. A PST 6-24x would be a good choice as well, but I think 4-16x would be plenty of power.

Nightforce 3.5x15 F1 on the OBR.

I'm a huge fan of the 3.5-10 Mk4, good to 6-700 yards and I've shot it at a night-time carbine match. Blew peoples minds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's your budget, rifle/caliber? That much available travel isn't a bad thing, but not absolutely necessary either if you're running a canted base with a flatter shooting round.

I have a SWFA SS 3-9x42, SWFA SS 5-20x50, Leupold CQBSS and a S&B 3-12x50 inbound. Each one has a different application and are for three different rifles and calibers.

After application budget dictates a lot on scope selection, so help us help you. Need more info....</div></div>

Well I am just getting into long range shooting, so i don't want to break the bank my first go around. My budget is around $400. I think i am leaning towards the Vortex Viper. I will also be using my set up for coyotes. I see a lot of guys sticking with a max magnification of around 14x for their AR's. For whatever reason, i have in my head bigger is better and want around 20x.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adam Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's your budget, rifle/caliber? That much available travel isn't a bad thing, but not absolutely necessary either if you're running a canted base with a flatter shooting round.

After application budget dictates a lot on scope selection, so help us help you. Need more info....</div></div>

Well I am just getting into long range shooting, so i don't want to break the bank my first go around. My budget is around $400. I think i am leaning towards the Vortex Viper. I will also be using my set up for coyotes. I see a lot of guys sticking with a max magnification of around 14x for their AR's. For whatever reason, i have in my head bigger is better and want around 20x. </div></div>

IMHO, 20x is unnecessary. If you're wanting to keep it cheap, the Falcon Menace might be a good choice. It's offered in FFP. Once I tried FFP over SFP; it's hard for me to go back...

I think this thread might be in the wrong area, but what canted base do you guys recommend to still allow me to zero at 100 yards, and then be able to dial the elevation to get me to around 800 yards? I understand it depends on what bullet i'm using and so on, but just give me an idea.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Proud Noob</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adam Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's your budget, rifle/caliber? That much available travel isn't a bad thing, but not absolutely necessary either if you're running a canted base with a flatter shooting round.

Well I am just getting into long range shooting, so i don't want to break the bank my first go around. My budget is around $400. I think i am leaning towards the Vortex Viper. I will also be using my set up for coyotes. I see a lot of guys sticking with a max magnification of around 14x for their AR's. For whatever reason, i have in my head bigger is better and want around 20x. </div></div>

IMHO, 20x is unnecessary. If you're wanting to keep it cheap, the Falcon Menace might be a good choice. It's offered in FFP. Once I tried FFP over SFP; it's hard for me to go back...</div></div>

I looked into the Falcon Menace, but read mixed reviews on it. Have you had any experience with the Menace? I think im leaning towards a Viper Vortex.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adam Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think this thread might be in the wrong area, but what canted base do you guys recommend to still allow me to zero at 100 yards, and then be able to dial the elevation to get me to around 800 yards? I understand it depends on what bullet i'm using and so on, but just give me an idea. </div></div>

Maybe 20 MOA? Which is probably the most common cant, for canted bases, risers, and unimounts, anyway.

For me falcon are good scopes for the trainer(22lr) I've one on my cz, but not for other caliber.
I've heard of many issue on havyer calibers.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adam Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I looked into the Falcon Menace, but read mixed reviews on it. Have you had any experience with the Menace? I think im leaning towards a Viper Vortex. </div></div>

No personal experience with the Falcon. I just know I prefer FFP, and the Falcon is the cheapest scope that offers this. I've heard mixed reviews as well. I do know from first hand experience that Vortex makes a good scope. However, I only have experience with their Viper PST line.

I have Trijicon Accupoint 3x9 on mine. Like it a lot.

USO 1.8-10 on mine. Used to wear a 3.2-17 that I moved to a bolt gun. I prefer the 10x on this style rifle and it does well out to how far I shoot it...around 800 yds. 20 moa riser on mine and there is more elevation than I will ever use.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adam Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's your budget, rifle/caliber? That much available travel isn't a bad thing, but not absolutely necessary either if you're running a canted base with a flatter shooting round.

I have some sub 300 dollar scopes that have 20x power and all of them suck past about 12-15 power. They either won't focus well or they're too dark or the glass sucks.

If you shooting coyotes and your max range is 800 yards you need an adjustable power scope. I doubt most of your shots will be at max range.....mostbwillmbe between 150-400. Just get a decent piece of glass that is first focal plane and make sure it's either mil/mil or moa/moa and you can't go wrong. Hell, even a BSA adjustable scope would work fine unless you plan on shooting sub moa.

Killing animals with an ar doesn't require a whole lot of scope at your range.....I assume your shooting .223. Get a decent scope and spend the rest on some quality ammo for your barrels twist rate.

Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x44 mil/mil.
A great scope for the price. The Weaver 3-15x50 mil/mil EMDR wasn't out yet, and if it had been, I would have preferred the Weaver. Still, happy with this one.

For a price point of $400, there's still one brand that hasn't been mentioned that should be given consideration; Sightron.

Badger makes the base and all the good optics companies make decent scopes in your price range---you will want a better optical quality if u insist on higher magnification---3x12X works for me in the mid-priced stuff---as does a fixed 10X

I have a Leupold Mark AR on my .223 and I don't know if I am just lucky but that thing is dead on.

+1 on Vortex. I have Leupold, USO, and Vortex, and I can fairly say that Vortex provides the best value if your looking for "brass tacks." If they expand their reticle options, I would be hard pressed to ever shop another scope when price is a consideration.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For a price point of $400, there's still one brand that hasn't been mentioned that should be given consideration; Sightron. </div></div>

+1 Sightron makes a good scope for their price. I have a 6-24x that works very well. They have a lot of different scopes too. Good luck.

NF 2.5x10x32 and leupolds 1.5x5 and 2.5x8

Lots of variety out there! I think i have figured out what i want and have been looking through the classifieds. I have to wait till i have 100 posts though until i can post in the classifieds and do a "WTB."