• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What scope rings are to be used on a M40 rifle?

rweldon

Sergeant
Minuteman
I'm trying to piece together a M40 clone. I know what scope and base it uses, but am confused about the actual scope rings. I know they are redfield, but are they the rings that take the undermounted screws, or did they take the rings that use four screws on the top of the rings?

Re: What scope rings are to be used on a M40 rifle?

Undermounted screws.

I have two pair PM if your interested.

Bob

LoneWolf
When you already talk about the M40A1, i have another question for you. What action is it on the M40A1, is it a standard 700 or is it a 40X?
This may be a silly question, have never been a freek of Remmy so i don´t know.

Regards
Tommy

The Vietnam era M40 were put together with Redfield short rings that had 4 slotted screws, two on each side and in from the top of the rings. Later on when the rifles were rebuilt as M40A1 but still using the Redfield scopes, the rings were changed to medium height bottom screw units.

On the Vietnam era USMC M40 rifle it used the Remington 40X marked base,(square corners not rounded) Redfield part #511153, if you are ever lucky enough to find one. And 1 inch split four screw rings, low, Redfield part # 523503, those marked 1-64 or 1-66 are usually deemed correct. All the rings shown are correct height and all are correctly marked, slotted screws would be correct, the bases are as close as I could find. Also the M40 rifles on which most 40A1 were built, were actually Remington 40X action with 700 markings, except when the Corp purchased approximately a hundred additonal Remington 700 actions in the early nineties.
Redfieldrings002.jpg

Yup, C-series actions and they are using e and g numbered actions on some of the rifles now.

Where can you find the dual screw rings? Are they one of those "If you can find em" items?

Found mine on Egay.... I am also using the widefield version of the Redfield w/tombstone reticle... Not spec, but close enough for me... Also pleasantly surprised with the clarity & accuracy of the old Redfield! Someday I'll get my hands on a Unertl or MST 100..... someday....... For now, an old turn in smear stock, 6 digit no prefix action, Schneider USMC contract barrel, Turner MRT sling (and SDWhirlwind's replacement sling studes if I want to mount a bipod) and I'm a happy camper! Not quite spec, but close enough for this 'Ol Jarhead!!!

Reactions: Itsadryheat

Rings are common, the base is as rare as a green accurange

Here's a new tid bit,this is one of the 2 Varmint Specials that Remington sent to the Marines Before they started the M40's. Private Collection.
ScottsPictures1827.jpg

Scott, was under the impression that the varmint rifles were developed after the M40 series of rifles . I know that Remington provided the Corp with several 40X marked rifles configured as requested for testing.

So we talking l00,000 serial range rifle, I know Remington marked their later M40 barrels 7.62.

Thats a rare find, I was under the impression the rifles evaluated were 40x marked and when it came for the production run, the rifles were marked 700 but were actual 40x receivers. I know Shortround here on the Hide, had a rifle that may have been one, but verifying that was close to impossible.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M40A1peacemaker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would these be right?
http://cgi.ebay.com/older-Redfield-4-scr...=item3a5c12f8c0 </div></div>

Yes, those rings look correct, the only thing they are missing is the 1-64 or 1-66 on the bottom, but these would be perfect for a build.

Howdy, Sorry to reopen this old Post but I was looking for these mounts and need some help. I've got the one's your talking about. The front ring has "1-66" labeled on the front. And a simple "1" on the rear mount. The are attached to a 3x-9x Redfield 1" Tube. I have pics which I will add under this post. Can anyone help me? I want to know what I have, and I also want to know where to get these rings elsewhere. Thanks for any help....BTW I'm a new user.
grin.gif

Any Redfield junior base will work with those rings, also as for getting other vintage four screw rings, ebay, and the other gun listing services will probably have them.

My base is two piece, and my rear ring is extended to fit on my 7mm rem mag. It's a 1967 rifle that I bought off an old timer and I'm having trouble finding these rings. Most seem to be extended on the front and not the rear. Any idea's?

I have a question, anyone actually know what the "1-66" stood for?

I have a few sets of the Low quad screw rings, The only 1-66 rings I've came across are mediums.

I'm fairly certain that "1-66" designates the time period the rings were manufactured. Meaning January of 1966.

Maybe, but why aren't all of them marked with manufacturing dates? I wonder when they would have stopped?

Looking for ya'lls opinion, I'd doing an M40 build on a six digit Receiver, I'm wondering which scope to use. I don't have a Greenie, but I have a Gen 1 Accu Range and Badgers Mount and Rings I also have a Gen 2 Accu Range with a Redfield Mount and Rings that should be correct for a Seven Digit M40. Which Set up would you guys use. I think I should use the Gen 1 and then Buy a Seven Digit receiver so I can build the rifle to go with the set up!

IMG_5326.jpg