• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What scope

gwgillespie

Private
Minuteman
Jul 15, 2020
Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24x50 Rifle Scope
Is this too much scope for a newbie to play with LR shooting/plinking on a TX1.
How about a Argos BTR GEN2 8-34×56 APLR2 FFP IR MOA
Thanks in advance for your time.
GaryWG

I’m a beginner, plinker etc. Not currently shooting long range. 100 yards max. I have that Vortex scope on my R700 .308. I love it. Disclaimer. I’ve never looked through high dollar glass.

The Tikka T1X is a good rifle. There's really no such thing as "too much scope" - plenty of people here have high-dollar optics on their .22s. While a good scope at the lower (not lowest) end of the cost spectrum, purchased with the input from someone who knows what they're talking about, will certainly get the job done for informal plinking, if you get serious about the discipline you'll find yourself wanting more. So put as much $$ into your optic as you can comfortably spend. And do not skimp on rings. You're looking at around $100-150 for good ones and you can spend several times that.

My suggestion for all the newbies is to decide your price point and then call, on the phone, one of the Snipers Hide sponsoring venders listed in Snipers Hide Vendors. I have personally dealt with the following:
Any of these guys can guide you. Be sure to mention you heard about them on Snipers Hide. I would recommend you stay in lower magnification ranges (25x max), and stay with FFP. Cruise different vendors' web sites and see what milrad reticles you like (just do mils. Don't ask why, just do mils. And unless you have orbital-reentry-level heat prevention, don't ask if mils or MOA is better...).

Good luck.

Reactions: gnochi
I had an argos a few years back it was a durable scope I ran it on my 6.5 cm and 300 wm I really liked it I beat the hell out of it just for fun on the count of it was cheap and it held up I never had an issue with it, vortex on the other hand I don’t even know where to start I had many vortex items from there 500 dollar range to 2000 dollar range and every single one of them I had to send in for warranty, but I will say vortex has a no questions asked warranty! But I don’t like not having my scopes so basically everything I own now is Nightforce and a couple Steiners. But I did run an Athlon Argos and Ares BTR and both were stellar

Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24x50 Rifle Scope
Is this too much scope for a newbie to play with LR shooting/plinking on a TX1.
How about a Argos BTR GEN2 8-34×56 APLR2 FFP IR MOA
Thanks in advance for your time.
GaryWG

How much are you willing to spend. Answering your question without knowing that is a waste of time.

I would recommend stepping up from the Diamondback line to the PST line. You'll get a better scope for a little more money.

Spend as much as you can on glass. You won’t regret it. I Could have saved a ton of money if I just bought higher end to start with.

+1 for this logic, especially if you are going to browsing this forum alot and wanting to upgrade haha

but if i had followed this advice early on, i would have saved some $$ as well on both scopes and rings

currently running a midas tac 6-24x50 on my t1x and it's a great option

Doug is this your direct number? need help on some glass.
Just call and ask for him. If he's unavailable, I've had great interactions with anyone in the shop. Don't forget to ask for the hide pricing.

Just call and ask for him. If he's unavailable, I've had great interactions with anyone in the shop. Don't forget to ask for the hide pricing.
ok thanks for that info ,as i am just going to start on this .I need all the help i can get from everyone.