• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What scopes have good clarity at max mag?

bychen

Private
Minuteman
May 13, 2011
I'm wondering, are there are any variable scopes with at least 16x that have good clarity and resolution at maximum magnification for under $600? I'm willing to go up to $1000. I know at that price range it won't be crystal clear but I'm fine with good.

Re: What scopes have good clarity at max mag?

I would hate to have to post the bad ass new glass video on you so early in your time here on the hide.

Since I'm not feeling bloody today,

Check Vortex PST, Super Sniper, and Bushnell elite tactical series.

Lol, I love the Badass New Glass video. Probably because I want to "sniper at 1000 yards and win tactical matches".

OP,

Great first post for a troll.

I'll sell you my 6-"18" Tasco that has proven to hit 1200+
I got it as a combo, so I'll let it go for around 450-500.
It has a duplex style recticle, but that has never been a problem for me.

I don't need it any more.
600 and under is easy with an old 2-8 Luepy.
That's what my Bro has on his left hand sporter, and it works fine for me.

Nice and light, that bigger scope just adds too much weight.

It is for sale.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VSOP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't feed the TROLLS!!!

</div></div>

verily so..............................

Wow, another meeting of the "Mean Girls" fan club.

High entertainment value, better than the Soup Nazi.

Would a "Stripes" reference work better?

Lighten up Francis!

I didn't realize asking a specific question about clarity at maximum magnification was going to be considered a troll post.

I never said I wanted to snipe 1000 yards. I'm going to practice shooting up to 300 yds from the bench and was thinking I might be able to save money from having to buy a spotting scope to see shot placement if I had good clarity at high magnification.

I'm interested at Sightron, Vortex and Zeiss but the stores in my area don't carry any of those brands. They carry Leupolds, Bushnell, Nikon and Meopta. Since I'm on a budget and can't afford to buy a bunch of scopes and try them out I thought that asking on a forum was the better option.

Thanks SingleShot85, I'll look more closely at those brands.

sea_hawk, don't take the boys too personal. You are a newbie and they are going to get there shots in. Doing a reasonable amount of research prior to posting will help offset this though. If I were in your shoes, I would obviously go closer to the $1000 range than the $600. Of all the scopes that have been listed, I would recommend the SS, Sightron or Zeiss. Now beyond that, it totally depends on what you will be doing with it. I have owned a Sightron 8-32 that was reasonably clear at 32 and I still have a Conquest 6.5-20 that is crystal clear at 20x. Spend the money on good glass, you will not regret it.

I own a sightron s3 and am very pleased with the clarity on 32power. My last 600yd f class shoot had me on 32x, I could make out the black pasties against the black background with no trouble. Things were crystal clear.
This is the 8-32x56 model.

My Burris black diamond 8-32 power scope was good on clarity as well, just lacked in some other areas for me. My Bushnell elite 6500 4.5-30 was good up to about 23,24 power, then started drifting off.

I don't hesitate recommending the sightron.

The Conquest does sound really good and it's just within my budget limit but I've read about some of them have dust inside the new scopes. I guess it wouldn't be a big deal with their warranty. But I would have to pay to ship it to them, and then wait for the return scope to fix a problem that shouldn't have been there from the start. Still, if it's that clear at 20x, it might be worth it in the long run.

Nice to to know about Bushnell Elite being less than good at higher magnification. I think I was able to look through the 4200 8x32 but it was inside the store. I'll probably end up striking that off my list.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sea_hawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...for under $600? I'm willing to go up to $1000. I know at that price range it won't be crystal clear but I'm fine with good.</div></div>

for 600.00 it better be clear, for a 1000.00 it should be closer to crystal clear than just good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sea_hawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...I'm fine with good. </div></div>With your 'good' or my 'good'?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sea_hawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I didn't realize asking a specific question about clarity at maximum magnification was going to be considered a troll post.

I never said I wanted to snipe 1000 yards. I'm going to practice shooting up to 300 yds from the bench and was thinking I might be able to save money from having to buy a spotting scope to see shot placement if I had good clarity at high magnification.
</div></div>

Try at the very least putting in your location.

As for your first post, you did not say anything. You asked a generic question that has no correct answer as we have no idea what you are doing with the scope or what its being put on.

Give us the details in your post like, what are you shooting, bolt, gas, etc, what caliber/bullet. What are you looking to do with it. Benchrest, run & gun, hunting, etc etc and we would be much more inclined to help you out.

So you say just 300 yards or so bench rest, what are you shooting? I would say the new SS group buy is going to be the best glass you can get for the price. Now 300 yards really does not need anything close to 20 or 35x, you could get away with the fixed 10x or the 3x9 SS.

I don't put alot of information on the internet because of privacy reasons. I realize I was rather vague but I didn't think anyone wanted to read a long story about all the specifics.

If anyone wants to know, I don't own a gun yet. I sometimes go out to the range with my dad and we practice shooting targets. He has a few rifles and likes his Remington 700 and Leupold 4x-12x. The range is up to 300 yds but we usually only shoot from 50 up to 200.

I've been thinking of finally getting my own rifle to bring to the range. Since I'm starting out, I don't have the money to spend or have the need for a $2000 rifle and a $2000 scope. But reading various forums, I know enough not to skimp too much and get something good that is suited to my needs, which is to have fun at the range. I'm thinking about getting a 30-06 which is what he has but not sure about the brand. I'll probably end up getting a Remington, too. I figured it wouldn't be out of line to pay $500-600 for a scope, the same amount as the rifle, but it seemed there are better ones if I went up to $1000. I would still prefer $500-600 though.

I think his Leupold isn't very crisp on details at 100 yds on 12x. It's not blurry, I guess a better word would be grainy at the highest zoom. It's fine enough for shooting but not for spotting. It's easy to see bullet holes in the white part of the target but hard to see any in the black part. We would have to use his spotting scope, which was cheap but does it's job.

If I get my own rifle, I might go out to the range myself on some days. I thought that a good scope with good clarity at long range might be better than having to buy a seperate spotting scope. Sort of a combination and it will save me $100.

Hope that clears up what I'm looking for.

Sightron is a very good scope for the money.

I would give Zeiss the edge in straight up clarity, Sightron is a better scope for features + glass.

The IOR I own is ridiculous at 24x, I love that scope.

Another solid option would be the bushnell 6-24x50

If you are wanting to learn ranging then the Vortex PST or weaver tactical FFP scopes can be had for 700-850. You can do better on the price if you look around for coupons or discounts.

The new SS group buy at $1000 is still probably going to be the best glass and high magnification you can get for $1000 or less.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sea_hawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="color: #FF0000">I don't put alot of information on the internet because of privacy reasons. </span>I realize I was rather vague but I didn't think anyone wanted to read a long story about all the specifics.

If anyone wants to know,<span style="color: #FF0000"> I don't own a gun yet</span>. I sometimes go out to the range with my dad and we practice shooting targets. He has a few rifles and likes his Remington 700 and Leupold 4x-12x. The range is up to 300 yds but we usually only shoot from 50 up to 200.

I've been thinking of finally getting my own rifle to bring to the range. Since I'm starting out, I don't have the money to spend or have the need for a $2000 rifle and a $2000 scope. But reading various forums, I know enough not to skimp too much and get something good that is suited to my needs, which is to have fun at the range. I'm thinking about getting a 30-06 which is what he has but not sure about the brand. I'll probably end up getting a Remington, too. I figured it wouldn't be out of line to pay $500-600 for a scope, the same amount as the rifle, but it seemed there are better ones if I went up to $1000. I would still prefer $500-600 though.

I think his Leupold isn't very crisp on details at 100 yds on 12x. It's not blurry, I guess a better word would be grainy at the highest zoom. It's fine enough for shooting but not for spotting.<span style="color: #33CC00"> It's easy to see bullet holes in the white part of the target but hard to see any in the black part. </span>We would have to use his spotting scope, which was cheap but does it's job.

If I get my own rifle, I might go out to the range myself on some days.<span style="color: #33CC00"> I thought that a good scope with good clarity at long range might be better than having to buy a seperate spotting scope.</span> Sort of a combination and it will save me $100.

Hope that clears up what I'm looking for.</div></div>

Alright so your 15, and your worried about privacy so you don't want to put in a location? Just do it and be honest.

Green text: If your shooting at paper you have pretty much two choices to see where you hit on the black. Shoot N See target's, or a decent spotting scope. At your price point a rifle scope is not a substitute for a spotting scope. You could always wait for the range to go cold and walk out to your targets.

As far as spending equal amounts of money on your rifle and scope. There are 600 dollar rifle's that can shoot 1/2MOA. There are 600 Scopes that can allow it to happen. However, think of a rifle like a car you can always upgrade it. You can't upgrade a scope. So get the best scope that you can afford and since your starting out do yourself a favor and just make sure that the reticle and turrets match. If the scope you think you want doesn't have that feature then get a different scope. It's already been said but the SS5-20 is probably your best bet right now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HillbillyfromAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sea_hawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="color: #FF0000">I don't put alot of information on the internet because of privacy reasons. </span>I realize I was rather vague but I didn't think anyone wanted to read a long story about all the specifics.

If anyone wants to know,<span style="color: #FF0000"> I don't own a gun yet</span>. I sometimes go out to the range with my dad and we practice shooting targets. He has a few rifles and likes his Remington 700 and Leupold 4x-12x. The range is up to 300 yds but we usually only shoot from 50 up to 200.

I think his Leupold isn't very crisp on details at 100 yds on 12x. It's not blurry, I guess a better word would be grainy at the highest zoom. It's fine enough for shooting but not for spotting.<span style="color: #33CC00"> It's easy to see bullet holes in the white part of the target but hard to see any in the black part. </span>We would have to use his spotting scope, which was cheap but does it's job.

If I get my own rifle, I might go out to the range myself on some days.<span style="color: #33CC00"> I thought that a good scope with good clarity at long range might be better than having to buy a seperate spotting scope.</span> Sort of a combination and it will save me $100.

Hope that clears up what I'm looking for.</div></div>

Alright so your 15, and your worried about privacy so you don't want to put in a location? Just do it and be honest.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Green text: If your shooting at paper you have pretty much two choices to see where you hit on the black. Shoot N See target's, or a decent spotting scope. At your price point a rifle scope is not a substitute for a spotting scope. You could always wait for the range to go cold and walk out to your targets.</span>

As far as spending equal amounts of money on your rifle and scope. There are 600 dollar rifle's that can shoot 1/2MOA. There are 600 Scopes that can allow it to happen. However, think of a rifle like a car you can always upgrade it. You can't upgrade a scope. So get the best scope that you can afford and since your starting out do yourself a favor and just make sure that the reticle and turrets match. If the scope you think you want doesn't have that feature then get a different scope. It's already been said but the SS5-20 is probably your best bet right now. </div></div>

How about some white paper with 2" or 3" red circles ? I can see out to 300 easy.

Aron-

I guess yellow circles would work as well though it might be harder to see
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HillbillyfromAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Green text: If your shooting at paper you have pretty much two choices to see where you hit on the black. Shoot N See target's, or a decent spotting scope.
</div></div>

LOL, I'm not 15, I'm in my mid-20s. Let's just say I've had a few bad experiences with privacy on the internet so the less the better.

I hadn't thought about using different colored paper or bullseyes. We've always used his spotting scope. I was thinking about saving some money for myself when I go alone. Good tip though, I will keep it in mind.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Do you know how to operate a scope with turrets? Or are still in the hold-over, hold-off phase (kentucky windage) of learning?

Also, are you comfortable with the recoil of 30/06?
</div></div>

Turrets and mildots are easy on the range since paper targets don't move but I know it will be tougher in the field with probably seconds to calculate a shot and get it right. I've never taken up my dad's offer to go with him and his buddy on their yearly hunting trip but if I had my own rifle, I just might.

I'm fine with a 30-06. It does kick but I've had plenty of years experience with the recoil.

The SnipersHide Group Buy for the SS 5x-20x looks very good. It's right at the limit on what I wanted to spend though. 33% off what looks to be excellent lenses is hard to pass up even if it means cutting corners for a month.

Thanks for all the suggestions. It narrows down alot on what to research.

If it was me I would cut things back for a month or two and have a great piece of glass. You will have the scope for a long time the couple of months you suffered for it in the end dont add up to much.

Seedins rings are going to run $120 and EGW 20 MOA rail is going to run $50. No matter what rifle you got Remington, Savage, etc. you would have one great setup that you would be proud of for years to come.

The amount of money I spent on ever increasing prices of glass added up would buy me a Schmidt. The 5x20 SS is a great buy, don't think you could go wrong, you'll probably have it a long time, but if you are just going to shoot 300 yards, go for one of the lower fixed power super snipers. You do have to decide on turrets, moa or mil. Good luck

I had a SS 3-9x that goes for about 600 new, might find one for 500 or less on the sample list at swfa.com.

At the time I was only shooting out to 600 yards and could see hits on paper, regular paper, out to 300 pretty easily. Out past 400 or so it gets a little harder.

They also hold their value pretty well, I sold it for a good portion of what I bought it for. Took that money and put it towards a Nightforce when my skill level and range capabilities were a little more deserving.

That would be my advice.

Rich