• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What Shooting Bags Do I Need?

gunsandgear

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2018
I am just getting into precision. Have a 6.5 CM bolt gun on the way, an AR10 in 308 and looking to potentially build another semi-auto in 6.5 CM.

What shooting bags would you guys recommend to get started? I will be shooting from a bench, tripod and prone most likely. All I have so far is a Hog Saddle tripod and some Harris bipods.

Please let me know if you need more info, thanks.

Agreed... ^^
I wish I would have gotten one before several others I spent money on before it

For your bench/prone shooting a good rear bag will work. I hear good things about Precision Underground, there is a thread about them here. Other than that a use a pint size game changer as a rear bag and that works well for me too.

I'm open to purchasing multiple bags, just want to make sure I'm getting the right stuff and not being too redundant.

as a new prs competitor................. i purchased a few bags and have only ever used one in competing. my wiebad whiskey charlie mini fortune cookie with the sticky bottom . (i'm sure other brands' similar size bags work just as well). I have both the heavy fill and the light. For me the heavy is more stable for a front, and at the same time more difficult to shape when used for a rear bag. the light is less stable, but easier to manipulate. manipulation also plays a part when moving between barriers. From my limited experience, the only other bag that i see would be useful would be a pump pillow (or other brands' version).

Pint sized waxed canvas game changer. I have a heavy fill that is the most usable bag that I've used. Works for most any situation, and will double as a rear bag very well. I want to get one in git lite fill to try out soon.

So far I'm thinking about at least getting a game changer, can't decide on pint size or full size. I'm willing to buy multiple bags though.

Any decent Memorial Day sales on any of this stuff?

AG’s pint-sized game changer is a great do all and their squishy is a great small lightweight rear bag. Those are my go to bags but I also have a SAP Solo Sack that I like but rarely bring out anymore.

If you have a good budget, the best practice is to buy a few (be it new or used), see what you like, and sell off the ones you don’t. Consider the couple bucks you lose, selling the ones you don’t like, as a rental fee. Sure you could ask other shooters at matches/the range in order to check a variety out, but you won’t actually get a solid opinion until you put sone time and rounds on em.

Another vote for waxed canvas game changer. I need to upgrade to the waxed canvas model soon.

I think they came out with a schmedium sized one now if you want that size between the original and pint size.

1590267847812.png

PrecisionUndergroundRifleGear.com

Lot of great suggestions. It's hard to say which is the best as everyone seems to have personal preferences. I'm always looking to get the best bags and like trying new ones out. But for some reason I always end up back the the red tac cylinder bags I bought decade ago.

If you are planning on shooting mostly prone and bench 100% get a good bipod and rear bag. Check out the demo of the blended fill we use in the vid on the homepage.

These are legit bags. I have the 3D ELR. Highly recommend anything Precision Underground.

What about the :

Sticky Game Changer™ Pint-Sized
$113.29
In Stock.

Beavertail Sticky Support Bag

I'm open to buying multiple bags to cover all my bases. Will be shooting prone, bench and off a tripod so I would like to have options for all of them. Kind of got side tracked but ready to buy the bags now since my rifle is about to be done.

Buy one of each, sell the ones you don't use. That's what most of us do.

Full size game changer for sure. Rear bag seems to be much more of a preference. I use an accuracy first rear bag I got from a buddy who didn’t want it anymore. I know Todd is a polarizing guy around here, but I’ve been happy with that rear bag.

I can't decide at all between:

1) Full-size vs. Mini Fortune Cookie

and

2) Pint-sized, Shmedium or Full Size Game Changer (Sticky vs. Waxed Canvas vs. Original)

I was also thinking about buying a Wiebad Pump Pillow to cover gap filling for positional, regardless of which of the above bags I purchase.

I'd rather not buy all of these bags and get rid of the ones I don't want. Any more advice on which ones would be worth it to grab as a starting point? I wan't bags that will cover my bases for PRS, bench, prone and tripod shooting.

Last edited:
Schmedium gamechanger > all, IMO. I was a long time proponent of the Pint Size, but after playing around with the Schmedium, it really is the perfect bag. Not only had it worked better for me on barricades and such, but I have actually been more stable using it as a rear bag in prone, and my groups actually shrank with it.

The only two bags I carry to a match now are a Schmedium and a large AG Fat Bag. The wedge shape makes it a lot more versatile than the more square style bags.

Reactions: stanley_white
Two bags that are a must have for PRS that will work great: pump pillow and a sticky game changer or waxed game changer. Learning how to use them properly is also invaluable too.

Pint size sticky gamechanger for positional and Traust for rear bag

I carry a Whiskey Charlie Mini FC, Full sized FC with Git Lite type fill for a rear bag, and Strapless behemoth. I ran the mini FC as a rear bag for a while, but you have to get pretty low, and you just don't have the range of motion that you do with a bigger bag.

Whatever you get, you will probably want a bag bigger than a pint sized GC or mini FC for a rear bag.

Really love my wc mini fortune cookie. I bought a shmedium game changer to try out but I still prefer the fortune. Maybe it’s because I’m just use to it more. I use the fc as a rear bag but there are better options I prefer a full size wc gamer changer as a rear bag. Probably gonna sell the shmedium and buy a wc game changer

Take a look at the Warhorse development Clede, falls in that sweet spot of not to big, not to small.

Whatever you get, you will probably want a bag bigger than a pint sized GC or mini FC for a rear bag.

100% agree with this. I know a few folks that are happy with something that size for a rear bag, but it seems like they're the minority. I definitely found the Pint Size too small for a rear bag after I played with other options.

My two favorites:
Precision Underground Strapped ELR.
Armageddon Gear Squishy Rear bag. The can like shape works well with stocks like the B5 / LMT Sopmod, etc.

i have been able to use the full size game changer as a fairly comfortable rear bag when shooting off the ground past 1000 yards.