• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Range Report What shooting defect is this or is it he load?

Cncjerry

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 27, 2013
Picked up some 168gr amax for my .300 win mag as I had to wait for my normal 190gr SMKs to get here, seems they are in short supply.

At 100yds:

My fist load was light with unfired brass at 2,754fps using 75gr H1000 but they grouped ok at .32moa for a 4 shot group after the first cleaner that was off about an inch right. So I was optimistic.

The next several groups had vertical stringing from an inch to 1.35" using 78gr and fps were chrono'd at 2,930fps with many dup'd consecutive shots. Standard deviations per group were all acceptable and some shots were near same hole so I don't think the stringing was due to velocity, directly at least. One group in particular had a Std deviation of 13 yet the vertical string was the mentioned 1.35".

So assuming the loads as ok, what shooting defect as in my technique would cause the stringing? I haven't noticed this with other loads, I did have a diagonal string problem a while back that I thought was related to shoulder placement but haven't seen this one to date.

I shoot off a bipod on a bench. No brake, the gun kicks pretty hard but I have over 1000 rounds thru it in three months so I am used to it. Sort of like the abuse I take from the wife and kids...

I had sort of the same problem with 308. What I ended up doing is switching to a different brass. The velocity tightened up and the stringing went away.
Hope this helps.

I'm gonna venture to guess it's the load.To light/heavy of a charge weight will cause vertical stringing and your load is LIGHT.Your 4grs under minimum according to Hodgdon for that bullet weight.ES means more than SD unless you have a huge sample group.Go with what your groups on paper/target are telling you versus SD.

I started with a light load as I am using magnum primers. I don't know if 2930fps is that light, is it? I can push 168's over 3200 no problem but it seems like the 168 SMKs at approx 2950 were pretty accurate, had some of my best groups.