• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

What size drag bag for an AX?

BikePilot

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2020
Colorado
I just picked up a short action AX and am planning to buy an Eberlestock sniper sled to tote it about. This is my first rifle with a folding stock and will soon be my first with a can. Any advice on sizing the bag for folded or unfolded use? Do you usually leave the can on or is it recommended to remove it for transportation?

I run a 26" barrel and will be adding a pva 4 port brake as soon as it arrives. A tbac 338 ultra can will also go on eventually. By my rough measurements the can will put it at about 55" unfolded and 46" folded.

I've got an AX which is 40.5" folded with Hellfire brake. I use a drag bag from Midway that measures about 46". Rifle fits great in it. Lots of room for accessories. All I have ever used for it.

Reactions: BikePilot
My AT with 24" and brake barely fits an Actual US made Eagle M4 drag bag. Not sure if you could find one anywhere

Drag bags are nice but they are to small to use as a pack and too big for just range transportation. Unless their being tossed in a pickup truck bed, and the even a cheapo Plano hard case is better protection.

They have a few pockets but you can’t bring everything (sporting scope, Ammo, mat,Tipod if you use one). So you still need another pack of sorts.

If your going to hump it in the woods for a elk hunt get a dedicated pack with scabbard.

I have 2 drag bags
One “real” drag bag which has dust on it and one drag bag mat, which is nice in its own ways.
But both stink at being a backpack.
So much so I took the straps off the drop some weight.

As for suppressor , take It off if you want but remember you need to sight it in again.

So if you going where the first shot counts leave it on.

For the sled pack it folded.
Make it a littke tougher to get out at times but a long barrel in a AI is a big stick.

If you going to hike/hunt/travel in thick brush you really don’t want anything above your head. Every branch you duck your head under...catches in your rifle sticking out.

Thanks! This would be primarily for range transportation and occasionally shooting in the mountains or desert where we might hike a little. I don’t expect to hike much or actually drag it. Mostly looking for a range bag with enough space for mags, some ammo, ear muffs, extra bipod, maybe a tripod one day, and that sort of thing. Is there a better option I should be thinking about? It’ll mostly be transported in a large suv. I have bad shoulders and wrists so the easier to carry the better. Ideally shoulder straps and a waist belt I can tote 40lbs that way all day, but struggle if I have to carry by hand or a single shoulder strap for very long.

I think you were on the right path with a eberkestock or alike.
You are 100% correct 40 pounds needs a waist belt for support.

There is a “mamoth 2020 thread”
That competition is a hiking shooting pain in the ass comp.
besides all the rest there is slot of talk of transporting rifles and gear by guys who have done it before.

One thing you may want to think about, if you're solely relying on an all-in-one system, would be something similar to the Eagle Industries Hybrid Sniper Rifle Case (HRSC). It's a drag bag, shooting mat, and backpack system all in one, where you could attach pouches to the outside of it for ammo/binos/tripod/etc. However Eagle stopped making them and their recent sale just offloaded the last of their inventory (I asked and they stated they have no plans of bringing it back into production). If you can find a used one, then it might be worth looking at. I know Galati makes their deluxe shooting mat bag that looks almost exactly like the HRSC, but I have never used their version. The built-in (full unzip) shooting mat is nice, especially if you're hiking out to a spot and its been raining or the terrain is talcum powder sand, that way you have a barrier between your kit and the elements.

Another option is going with something like an eberlestock LoDrag pack and using a scope/crown cover with the rifle placed stock first into the bag. I've used their GS2 for years now but have never run a 26" or folder in it. Just another thing to think about if you haven't yet. This would give you a platform that's actually designed to be used as a pack with hip straps. This may be more comfortable for you when hiking to your shooting spot.

The downside to the traditional drag bags (including the HRSC) is that they are massive and awkward to hike with when loaded down with kit. The are great for dragging to your FFP, but wearing them as a backpack is kind of eh.

Good luck man.

Give the Armageddon Gear 58” a look if you’re gonna leave the suppressor on. They also have a 52”. I have 2 and my 2 AX chassis fit just fine