• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What size hard case for 39 inch rifle ?

Greedus

Private
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2021
USA
Hello,
I have a question as to the size of a hard hard case. My rifle is only 39 in. long and scoped. My previous rifle was in a soft/padded case and it is bulky and not sufficiently protective. My concern is the crown being too close to the edge of the interior , inside the foam cutout of course. I am looking at the Pelican iM3200 Storm case, 44 inches interior length, and the Pelican iM3300 Storm at 50 in interior. I just can't figure out how much space/clearance I should leave around the rifle, in front of the barrel and behind the butt
Mind you, storage at home and weight is a factor, The are both wheeled and that is a must due to total weight.
Thanks in advance,

I don't see why you'd need more than a couple of inches of clearance at each end. I could live with less.

Unless you're flying/traveling with it...

Find a cheap $50 light plastic outer shell case with a 40" interior at your local LGS. They're light cheap and unless you're tossing a bunch of other stuff in there with the gun it's lightweight and easy. For house/vehicle/square range it's the way to go IMO.

I have cases, drag bags, lightweight hard cases, and sold my Pelican rifle cases. The Pelicans were just too heavy and I ended up leaving them at home.

Only works for shorter guns. 24" barrel guns without folding butts won't work. Stupid AI butt folds the wrong way on mine anyway.

I know I'm over thinking it. My concern is the crown getting damaged if it goes into the side of the case. I some how managed to bang my soft case/bag edge and hit he crown on the rifle. I have a weak shoulder, so slinging it has been tough. I'll find a lite weight case in the 44 inch range. Thanks for the advice.

No threads, but a cap is getting put on ! Have a heavy duty chair leg rubber end cap protector thing, perfect fit. I know, over thinking.

Reactions: pineoak
Your going in a pelican case with 5 extra inches and your worried about your crown getting damaged? Over thinking it on a grand scale if Ive ever heard it.

I think the math problem is…

If X = B inches than Y must be X + T inches so that X will be < inches (X + T) inches.

It’s on most case websites just make sure you measure twice and order once.

• Haha
Reactions: Sblzrd65 and Nik H
I searched for the formula on the Pelican site and with the assistance of the Lissie, the chatbot, I recalculated B, which gave me iM3200. I rechecked and am confident on the results, just need to solve for P.

thanks for the guidance !