• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns What size pistol for home defense

408w

Private
Minuteman
Sep 8, 2017
Western ny
What frame size pistol would you guys choose for home defense. Not going to use this as a first option over a shotgun, but as another option located in the home. Have a few concealed carry type hand guns. Thinking about a combat/comp style gun. Carried a beretta 92 in the army. What would be a good option for in the home.

Cz scorpion w a 30 Rd mag full of hollow points is my shoty's backup followed by a FN 509 tactical with 25 more hollow points ?

Reactions: whiskeytower
Have a few concealed carry type hand guns. Thinking about a combat/comp style gun.

Smith & Wesson M&P 2.0
10+1 .45 ACP powerhouse with underbarrel rail.
MSRP: $600

Smith-Wesson-MP45-20-4-1200x900.jpg

Smith & Wesson M&P 2.0
10+1 .45 ACP powerhouse with underbarrel rail.
MSRP: $600

Mp 2.0's are a great value for the money. Street price on those are 400 ish. If you prefer 45 acp over 9mm and want more capacity than an mp you can look at the fnx 45 tactical 15+1 with a rail.

I don't carry tiny little pistols so my carry handguns are the same ones I use in the house.

Depending on what mood I'm in it might be any of the following
  • 3" S&W Model 65, loaded with 125 grain Hornady Critical Defense 357 Magnum
  • 4" S&W Model 64, loaded with 38 Special Winchester Defender 130 gr +P or Remington lead semiwadcutter hollow point 158 gr +P
  • CZ75 P01 loaded with 9X19 Speer 124 gr Gold Dot
  • CZ75D loaded with same

Reactions: Blue Sky Country
At the moment, the same one I carry: a simple, early two-pin police trade-in Gen3 G19. Only mods are a minus connector, basic stipple job w/ undercut trigger guard, AmeriGlo tritiums front (green) and rear (yellow), and a Surefire X300. I've run it through classes, matches, and concealed carry since 2010. I may get a G17 at some point, but who knows.

Last edited:
Reactions: schmi015
Mp 2.0's are a great value for the money. Street price on those are 400 ish. If you prefer 45 acp over 9mm and want more capacity than an mp you can look at the fnx 45 tactical 15+1 with a rail.

They sure are. I owned an M&P 9mm for a while and I put it through it's paces in different weather conditions. Pretty battle-worthy, that is why I instinctively brought that one up.

Just checking out the FN-45 right now...That capacity...and threaded for a can too (y) GUNPRIME has em' right now for $899. I can see Sig breaking a little sweat.

Opinions will vary depending on skill level and what fits you best. My home defense pistol is a Beretta Px4 Storm in 9mm. Lots of really great choices but for home defense I'd choose a full size pistol with big magazine capacity.

VooDoo

Reactions: chasedeer
I use a .40 cal with hollow points for home defense... any full-size frame with hollow points and a light attachment should be perfect

Reactions: Alphatreedog
What frame size pistol would you guys choose for home defense. Not going to use this as a first option over a shotgun, but as another option located in the home. Have a few concealed carry type hand guns. Thinking about a combat/comp style gun. Carried a beretta 92 in the army. What would be a good option for in the home.

I'll second the FNX45. It's what I have as a backup in the house. I enjoy shooting it, and find it to be one of my more accurate handguns. The 15+1 capacity is great for a .45 home defense pistol, and it came with 3 mags (which is nice because last I looked they ran about $50-60 a piece). I have a TLR-2 light/red laser combo on the bottom rail, which is a must for a home defense IMO. The safety/decocker and mag release are both ambi and easy to manipulate also. The $899 price quoted above for the tactical is a great deal, and almost down to the price of the "non-tactical" version. I don't run suppressors or brakes on my pistols which is why I didn't go the tactical route. At that sale price from Gunprime, I would though.

My vote goes to a Beretta 92a1 love the large mag compacity and the pic rail for a light. If you can’t see it you can’t expect to hit it.

Reactions: Blue Sky Country
My vote goes to a Beretta 92a1 love the large mag compacity and the pic rail for a light. If you can’t see it you can’t expect to hit it.

The one big plus of the beretta is if you manage to miss with all 16 bullets, the 92 doubles as a hammer to beat the guy to death.

I'll second the FNX45. It's what I have as a backup in the house. I enjoy shooting it, and find it to be one of my more accurate handguns. The 15+1 capacity is great for a .45 home defense pistol, and it came with 3 mags (which is nice because last I looked they ran about $50-60 a piece). I have a TLR-2 light/red laser combo on the bottom rail, which is a must for a home defense IMO. The safety/decocker and mag release are both ambi and easy to manipulate also. The $899 price quoted above for the tactical is a great deal, and almost down to the price of the "non-tactical" version. I don't run suppressors or brakes on my pistols which is why I didn't go the tactical route. At that sale price from Gunprime, I would though.

I use an FNX .45 Tactical with Hornady Critical defense rounds.

Reactions: Alphatreedog
For home defense I choose full size pistols. I've got a HK USP and a Glock 17. They are both kitted out with a light, night sights, and a 30rd magazine. The Glock will eventually get an optic but having a light is crucial unless you've got NVDs. Both handguns pull double duty as carry guns as well.

Glock 17 RTF2..........yes with gills, Trijicon HDs and plus 5/6 Taran Tactical basepads=23+1 rounds of Speer Goldot 124 grain JHP +P with a Surefire X200. That’s my home defense rig alongside my Mossberg 500 Persuader with an L3 Insight tac light forend.
E133FF39-E84B-4253-8846-D31CC9BB04E3.jpeg
AA4E7A1E-7AE5-4FE4-87DD-D7C16140763E.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: acudaowner
SIG 229 in 40 S&W Light/ laser loaded with Hydroshocks or the Baby DE in 40 cal and as previously said if i miss with all the rounds I can beat them to death with the steel frame.

I see home defense as having the ability to open up many good options. Any of the "pistols" like the MPX, Vector, Scorpion, HK with a brace or stock if you choose to sbr seem like a great option. The Sig Rattler with subs, also. Even a AR pistol build with the proper ammunition choice. I like the stability offered by being able to shoulder the firearm, as well as a proper red dot. But that's just my preference, as I have not fully mastered being a proficient hand gunner, yet.

I see home defense as having the ability to open up many good options. Any of the "pistols" like the MPX, Vector, Scorpion, HK with a brace or stock if you choose to sbr seem like a great option. The Sig Rattler with subs, also. Even a AR pistol build with the proper ammunition choice. I like the stability offered by being able to shoulder the firearm, as well as a proper red dot. But that's just my preference, as I have not fully mastered being a proficient hand gunner, yet.

You know what I like about this post. Your flat out honesty and self awareness as a shooter. Good on you man. Self awareness in areas we are weak in is what makes us better shooters when we practice the things we aren’t good at. Your choices are phenomenal for someone wanting to shoulder fire a home defense rig. Get out there and put some work in with you pistols. Really appreciate your candor.

Reactions: Ric O'shay
Depends on what room of the house I'm in and what's closest. Glock 21, Glock 30, Taurus 605, Keltec P11. The 21 is for what gets the dogs barking, the others are what I may have on or just put on the end table. My large 9's SIG 226 and Beretta, and 1911's generally are put away except for matches.

Reactions: DaleGribble82
Depends on what room of the house I'm in and what's closest. Glock 21, Glock 30, Taurus 605, Keltec P11. The 21 is for what gets the dogs barking, the others are what I may have on or just put on the end table. My large 9's SIG 226 and Beretta, and 1911's generally are put away except for matches.
Dude gunsnjeeps are the shit ??

Reactions: gunsnjeeps
My personal opinion is that the size doesn’t matter too much. Full-size, compact, it’s irrelevant in my eyes. I do prefer compacts in general.

Biggest thing is a rail for a good light, night sights, and proper ammo.

This is the 9mm FBI-approved duty load list posted a few years ago on the internet by DocGKR, pick one and you’re G2G.
  • Barnes XPB 115gr HP (35515) such as loaded by Cor-Bon (DPX09115)
  • Winchester Partition Gold 124gr JHP (RA91P)
  • Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)
  • Winchester Ranger Bonded 124 gr +P JHP (RA9BA)
  • Winchester Ranger-T 127gr JHP +P+ (RA9TA)
  • Winchester Ranger-T 147gr JHP (RA9T)
  • Winchester Bonded 147gr JHP (RA9B/Q4364)
  • Speer Gold Dor 124gr JHP
  • Speer Gold Dot 124gr JHP +P (53617)
  • Speer Gold Dot 147gr JHP (53619)
  • Remington Golden Saber 124 gr +P JHP bonded (GSB9MMD)
  • Remington Golden Saber 147gr JHP (GS9MMC)
  • Federal Tactical 124gr JHP (LE9T1)
  • Federal Tactical 135gr JHP +P (LE9T5)
  • Federal HST 147gr JHP (P9HST2)
  • Federal HST 124gr JHP +P (P9HST3)

Most of the brothers in Chicago are doing good with 9x17. I prefer 9x18 commie ball ammo. Plenty of heavy reliable Eastern Europe bloc weapons out there that can also serve as a rock. But there is no denying the .45 ACP sent the 1st Marine Division back to the sea if you ignore there was 180,000 chinamen shooting at them. You have received a lot of impressive inventory by others. Basically, something well used on a regular basis is the only thing. The dumbest thing about bullets is in one case target ammo did fine and over powered ammo just created a huge mess or vice versa. Personal preference but the stats show mildly cheap ass reliable shit is putting more people down than nice weaponry.

I would recommend a pistol that you are most familiar with, and can operate in the dark, under great stress, when you have been awakened from a deep sleep, without having to think much about how it works. I'm not suggesting grabbing a gun when you are half asleep, what I am suggesting is that you choose something you have so much familiarity with that you can operate it under the worst possible conditions. A caliber of 9mm or greater would be great, but if the gun you are the most familiar with is a 9X18 makarov, then I would go with that. Magazine capacity, and whether anyone else in the house (wife/girlfriend) would need to operate the pistol is also a consideration.

For home defense, it would also be highly recommended that the firearm also have a light, or that you practice various flashlight techniques (Harries/Chapman/FBI are worth practicing) in conjunction with the pistol.

In addition to the firearm, it would be recommended that you walk around your house during the day time and take a look at places from where you might shoot, and consider what lies beyond any direction in which you might be shooting. Doing these things BEFORE an incident occurs will help you greatly. Think beyond just the firearm, consider what you would do when you call the police, after you call the police, legal rights, what you would or wouldn't tell the police. It is highly recommended that you also study use of force laws, and police report writing on use of force so you know what they might consider or be looking for when they question you. It is not generally recommended that you talk with the police without an attorney present.

The firearm is just one of a great many considerations. Think beyond just the firearm or how you would shoot it. If you are ever unfortunate enough to have to shoot in self defense, the things you consider BEFORE any incident will help you out immensely.

I leave out a G22 full of 180gr Speer +P. My wife can rack the slide and its got plenty of rounds. My carry pistol is always out too. P938 with 115gr Critical Defense. Both have night sights but if I was doing it over I would just run a trijicon sight up front. I tend to be a front sight shooter under stress anyway.

Neither are great for home defense. No lights on either but my shotguns are either too expensive or too long to leave out.

Funny how I almost always have money for cool shit but can't choke up $700 for a good home defense shotgun and a light.

Edit: said fuck it after I wrote this and bought a gen4 G19 and a light today. Thumb switch is still a little far for my wife's hand, but it's better than the g22 with nothing.

Last edited:
Suppressed Sig Rattler shooting 220 subsonics. Who needs a shotgun?

So you basically got a 30 round fed 45 acp shoulder fired ... I still would prefer my 12 guage loaded with 9+1 of my personal slug/ buck shot party mix track

Reactions: FatBoy
So you basically got a 30 round fed 45 acp shoulder fired ... I still would prefer my 12 guage loaded with 9+1 of my personal slug/ buck shot party mix track

To each their own... The Rattler is way overpriced IMHO, but it has proven ultra reliable for me, and I shoot it well. A shotgun wouldn't be as handy in tight quarters for me. Hopefully neither of us will ever need to test our choices...

To each their own... The Rattler is way overpriced IMHO, but it has proven ultra reliable for me, and I shoot it well. A shotgun wouldn't be as handy in tight quarters for me. Hopefully neither of us will ever need to test our choices...

I agree. At the end of the day just be proficient with whatever you choose.

I don't need a light on any HD firearm. My house is full of light fixtures and switches. I don't plan on fighting in the dark.

Home defense changes the selection equation because:
1. You don't have to conceal it on your person. So light weight and compact size are not important.
2. You can choose a pistol that you can shoot accurately and is comfortable in your hands. Longer sight radius helps.
3. Chances are that you will need it at night. Have a light available.
4. Firing a gun indoors is loud. Consider having muffs that enhance your hearing, yet block gun shot noise,
5. Choose a pistol that you AND your sig. other can use as well.
6. Practice house clearing your home in the dark. Have a plan for the family when an intruder threatens.

Reactions: tomcatmv
I've been giving some serious thought to taking a training class for working with lights. I do very little formal training since I ETS'd, but when I got out we didnt work with lights so they are somewhat new to me. I am torn between the ease of a weapons mounted light and a hand held so in the off chance my kid tries to surprise me one night, I dont muzzle sweep the fuck out of her. Not sure how or if a hand held would translate over to a shotgun or rifle.

I need a refresher in field trauma too. Thinking I'm going to add a small trama kit to my bag, instead of just a boo boo kit. Been a long time since combat life saver :) Guy I stuck and who stuck me is a GD SMG now.... Life is crazy....

Large frame with rail for a tac light, no question in my mind. Nothing match oriented or put together too tightly, either. Off the top of my head I would suggest the HK45T, the Sig P226 family (no Legions), or a large frame Glock. I use a Beretta M9A3 and Steiner light/laser simply because of familiarity, but I really fell in love with the HK45CT with a TLR-3G for its crossover ability to be an EDC on the side. For a while, I rocked only the 45CT for everything and I plan on owning one again in the near future. That said, for dedicated home defense, I would probably go with the full size.

+1 for the 300BLK or 9mm pistol/SBR ideas, too. Anything in a PDW type of configuration will probably be the best thing for the money.

Given the time to open the safe, I'd much rather have my suppressed 5.56 SBR. That said, if I don't have time, then I have a Gen3 Glock 17 wearing an RMR, SiCo Octane 9 HD, and Surefire X300U stashed away somewhere discrete that I can grab quickly and easily. It stays loaded with a 23rd mag of Speer Gold Dot 124 +P (note the FBI duty ammo list posted earlier).

Glock 23.3 with 165 critical defense, and a H&R 12 gauge single shot with a variety of shells handy.

Depends on where I am in the house really.

Different flavors of 9mm, .357 magnum/.38 special, or 45acp if i don't have time to grab the shotgun.

Reactions: gunsnjeeps
For home defense only... anything 10mm, and not the sissy 10mm ammo.

For home defense and "all around", G19 and done.

I have a Glock 23 in 40 cal that I didn't like at first, but then it grew on me. It's small enough to be a good conceal/carry gun, but big enough to have a sight plane long enough for good accuracy. It came with white/hi-vis sights on it. The only safety to worry about is the one of the trigger. You pick it up and pull the trigger, and it goes bang.

As far as pistols go, I’ve got a Kimber Custom Target with Crimson Trace grips. I’ve had the gun for 20 years, so I’m really familiar with it. I don’t know of I like the Crimson Trace grips, but I’d rather have them on there as an option. I’m just shooting 230 gr ball.

After years of griping, I finally got my first piece of tactical tupperware. It’s a Gen 4 G19 that’s going to be stashed in the living room.

I’ve thought about loading them both up with some Lehigh rounds.

I think whatever you enjoy shooting and is consistent is a good first step. My dad has a Sig 938, which is a decent little pistol, but neither of us enjoy shooting it, so nobody practices with it.

Lot of good stuff here. My question would do you share a pistol with your wife or older kids and have they been trained in case you get your switch turned off?
If not, I would recommend either having one she or the older kids can shoot.

I had my oldest girl trained at 12 with an AR-15 and a 66 smith and yes,,,she was competent enough to be trusted.

For my house, of course, if I have time I will use a shotgun and preferred it for any clearing. My clearing gun was 14 inch barrel but my home gun is a 18, 870.

My first instinct is my pistol and my light, I always have both night and day and an extra behind my pillow in a kydex holster. The wife always has one and has hers by the bed too.

Hard to beat a dog! Even a Jack russell that hears a mouse fart and barks is a premium. A 75 pound Pit on the couch is nice too. If I thought someone was messing around? I will set some special surprises outside for them. Nothing dangerous, just something that makes a little noise.

Forgot to add, there is nothing wrong with a 92 Beretta. If you already know the system I would get another one and they even have a compact model. For CCW I prefer a smaller 9mm like the G-43 and my carry load is nothing hot but gets good penetration with XTP Hps in the Fiocchi brand. I like penetration and controlled expansion. I always figure out the best bullet stopping place in the house like a freezer for my Grandkids but if someone is in my house? I am gonna take it to them and the wife knows she is the back up.

Last edited:
Awesome thread . I prefer a .45 for stopping power . And I think that Unknown's response deserves a second read as he is spot on . Know your house and know your weapon . I would also recommend prepping your family with occasional discussions of what to do and where to go . If you are the primary defender have a signal word . Ours is dog . We have a dog so it would not be to odd to an intruder and yet if the wife screams it I know there's a problem .

Opinions will vary depending on skill level and what fits you best. My home defense pistol is a Beretta Px4 Storm in 9mm. Lots of really great choices but for home defense I'd choose a full size pistol with big magazine capacity.

VooDoo
+1 full sized pistol even a 12 gauge

Reactions: Davo308