• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What Sunglasses are you wearing?

ccasanova

Private
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2010
Southeast LA
Picked up a pair of Maui Jim’s today, tortoise frame/copper lenses. Nice for daily wear/driving. I’ve had multiple MJ, Ray Ban, Costa...grey, blue, rose, copper lenses...over the years.

What do you guys wear while shooting? Any specific color/tint to go with or stay away from?

Haven’t worn them out shooting yet but I just went from a busted old pair of Oakley Radar EV’s to a pair of Smith Optics Guide’s Choice in Matte Havana. So far I don’t plan on going back.

Gargoyle's were issued in 10th SFG(A)
the-terminator.jpg

Reactions: Snipe260
Back in '94ish I was wearing Serengeti Vermillion's when my rifle blew up. Sure was glad I was wearing them, as all the shrapnel ricochet'd up them into my forehead. Saved my eyes.

So yeah, ALWAYS wear eye protection. Who'd ever have thunk that a .22 lr could explode like that?????

(ammo recall - suspected 'overpriming')

Gatorz been around the block. The normal polorized lens may not be quite up to snuff as the MJ but they more than make up for by sticking close and tight to the head. I can shoot prone with them and the frame does not block the view even in heavy sweat when others might fall down.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
Add "prescription lenses" to the mix, and the plot completely changes.
We have a local guy that does Rx shooting glasses for the folks that shoot clays. I’m thinking about picking up an Rx Randolph Ranger Edge set for shooting.

My everyday dress eyeglasses are from Salt Optics -- their Hamilton model. Rims are acetate, in a very masculine-sounding shade called Matte Mauve Mist, and everything else is titanium (temples are springy Beta-Ti). Lenses are G15 polarized CR39, so the world looks great through them and they don't scratch too easily:

For shooting I like ugly wraparound Z87.1+ safety glasses -- the cheaper the better, so I won't feel bad about discarding them as soon as the scratches in the polycarbonate start to get annoying. Uvex Genesis XCs are good enough for the Army and are ugly and super-cheap -- perfect for me:

I don't shoot clays, so I don't obsess over tint, but those Uvex glasses come in a dozen shades if that's your thing. And for under $15/pair, you can try them in every color for the cost of one pair of cool-guy Oakleys. Tints are shown here:

https://www.uvex.us/en/products/military-grade-eyewear/uvex-genesis-xc

Oakleys . I don't know what the models are I just buy what I like . Mainly because the firearm and ammo addiction wasn't enough . I felt the need to hurt myaelf with a $200 + sunglass fetish . @021411 , yeah I find the prism lense in tungsten really easy on the eyes .

Native. All day, every day. It's like High Definition tinted protection. I used to like Oakley, and may try another pair again someday, but Native has me for a while longer. All come polarized, in a case, with another set of less tinted lenses (shooting, golfing, low light fishing, also polarized), cleaning cloth, and a great warranty. I'm running the Hardtop xp right now, last ones were the sprint.

Good Topic!
I have worn Oakley Frogskins for years. Not the "classic" frogskins, but an older style that they don't make anymore.
(http://www.o-review.com/database_detail_model.php?ID=70)
I like that they fit a larger head, and have that wrap-around bug eye shape. Best part for me is that even when riding my motorcycle, my eyes don't tear at all, they just deflect the wind perfect for me. They can only be had through ebay now though, and they're getting expensive.
Another pair that have become my favorite everyday wear sunglasses are a pair of Suncloud Optics "King" model glasses. I worked in an outdoor store for almost 10 years as a second job, and we sold Oakleys, Costas, Maui Jims, Ray Bans, all the big names. When it was slow, I'd go try on everything, and that one pair of Sunclouds fit like they were made for me. The guy that they had as our store's expert, and who went to all the manufacturer seminars for all the sunglass brands whenever they had them told me that Sunclouds were actually not too bad. (they cost < $50 compared to all the others costing 2-5 times as much. Polarizing is in the lens as opposed to just a coating like on cheaper glasses.

Nothing protects unless you're wearing them, and the more comfortable and good fitting they are, the more you'll wear them.

My best advice, go try on as many different brands and styles as possible and eventually there will be a pair that fits like no others, so buy those.

Every day wear is Costa and a few different pairs of Maui Jims.

For shooting, I still haven't found anything better than a 25yr old pair of Ray Ban Ambermatics.
The metal wrap around temples fit nicely under ear defenders and don't allow noise to leak in.
The only downside to them is the lenses are glass.

Oakley Fuel Cell's with multiple lens colors. My daily and shooting have been the Iridium Gold. It also works well offshore to make the floating kelp patties stand out in the summer. I've been playing with some of the Red Prism lenses too. I haven't shot with them yet but I think they will work well.

Gatorz Magnum or Oakley Half Jacket. Polarized. If I'm shooting indoors, Oakley Flak Jackets, clear.

Oakley Canteen. Oakley made a polarized brown lens a while back too that I really liked, but I haven't seen it in a while.

I've had a pair of Maui Jims since living in the Islands in the late 90's. Back then nothing compared to them. There are a lot of good high polarized glasses now (Costas for sure).

I have a narrow face so sunglasses have always been a struggle as far as finding the right fit. Gatorz Wraptors have been awesome. I wear them every day and shoot in them also. Im thinking about trying out some of their magnums but idk if they will fit like the wraptors do.

I’ve been wearing Magpul terrain shooting glasses in polarized copper. It’s like 4K for sunglasses.

Reactions: Alphatreedog