• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What testing are you going to do??

BigDKC

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2010
KCMO
So When you get your new PST what kind of testing are you going to perform on it? While I am waiting in line for my 6-24 MIL PST to show up I have been thinking about what all I need to have ready to take it out and put it through its paces to verify if its good or has a problem.

The thing is though, I am very new to all of this! Long range shooting <span style="font-style: italic">and</span> precision optics. I have to admit I am a little bit concerned that the biggest cause of error doing any kind of testing will end up being shooter error rather then equipment! Either by my shooting ability or by failing to understand what I am to be doing for testing. That being said I decided to hop in this game so I will suck it up and give it a go. I just gotta figure out what I plan on doing when I get to the field to test it out, and what I need to have at the ready to do so.

<span style="font-weight: bold">The Box Test</span>, if you are going to run this test on yours, what is your setup going to be for the testing environment and perimeters?

I have read about 15 different varients on the box tests. One article said shoot it 50 yards, one said a hundred, another said shoot it at half of your max intended range. I've seen lots of instructions on where to mark and on what sized paper at what range for MOA but very little for MIL. I've seen use 4 clicks, and I've seen use 20moa. What are you going to use?

<span style="font-weight: bold">Checking the reticle click calibration.</span> Will anybody be following Lindy's method of checking the clicks with a yard stick and 1" dots? I am planning on doing this test also but wasn't sure if there was a better/newer/smarter way of doing this now?

<span style="font-weight: bold">Check and set for mechanical zero (or "spinning").</span> Do you guys do this to your new scopes? Will the PST's be set at mech-zero from the factory? Just a check needed or if it's off do you try to set it back or leave it and adjust in the field?

<span style="font-weight: bold">What else needs to be done?</span> What all are <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">YOU</span></span> going to do when you get your scope in?

Hell maybe some standard testing formats would be pretty helpfull to have to see where our scopes all stack up to each other. It might make it easier to tell if someone could be having an issue, or tell if there is a specific trend.

At any rate I am curious to know what your "new optics ritual" is, so I can use your suggestions to start building mine!

Re: What testing are you going to do??

I don't have a PST on order, however, I do the following checks on EVERY scope I own before I fire it.

<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*]Box test on graduated paper at 100yd. [*]Reticle "straightness" - ie, is vertical truly vertical and is the horizontal truly 90* from vertical? Again, graduated paper at 100yd [*]Tracking reticle in each direction along 1 axis at a time to check for proper erector alignment. [*]POA check when changing magnification, like a magnification box test. Box test on graduated paper at 100yd.[/list]

I've done this on everything from my cheap Tasco scopes through the Zeiss and NF's. It makes me feel better to know I've validated the scope rather than trust any manufacturer claims.

Thanks for the response bohem!

You mention you do these tests on graduated paper before ever firing a shot. Care to offer your measurements on the paper? What size paper? How far apart are your box tests? Do you just draw your intended targets on the paper? Print it off from a PC? Do you pull out the full kit with plumb lines and levels at the range to true your target?

Anyone else??? 75 views and only one response?? Help me out here! Surely some of your guys are going to be testing these scopes or any new scope you spent several hundred dollars for right?!?

I usually do a box test at 100 yards as well as hang a plumbob from a tree and see how vertical the crosshairs are. I also crank the turrets around to see if they will come back to zero as well as how many clicks of adjustment I actually have once I'm zeroed at 100.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigDKC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
<span style="font-weight: bold">What else needs to be done?</span> What all are <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">YOU</span></span> going to do when you get your scope in?

</div></div>

When my PST gets here I will be so happy tht I will strip naked and run through the streets, cradling it in my arms, yelling "It's here! It's here! Thank God it's finally here!!!"

I'll be sure to post a link for the Youtube video.

I'm gonna wait for all the beta testers to post their results here on the hide and see if the kool-aid tastes as good as as all the thirsty folks thought it would.

Thanks for posting the link. Since that's the thread that started all the questions, I figured it best I post in it.

Nope, thank you for the great information and pictures!! Being a complete newbie to shooting precision rifles and optics, this information is very valuable to me! Showing me how to verify my $900 scope is much appreciated!

Horus offers some really nice targets that aid in scope testing.

http://www.horusvision.com/cats.php

pr_4_cats.gif

Link to instructions.
http://www.horusvision.com/download/manual_Horus_CATS.pdf

I went and sighted my 6-24 today. It was dead nuts already at 25, went to a hundred got a zero, box tested it 8 moa UPS and horizontal tract good. Shot it on different magnification and no hiccups. Only had 27 rounds loaded though. But I plan on takin it to 1k on fri, be my first time there too.

Thanks for that SWFA! Very interesting indeed! I remember running across another large scope calibrating target at some point also but I spent quite a while this afternoon looking for it with no luck!

I wonder though, if the $25 spent on this would be better spent on a collimator like Jon A uses instead..?

ubet, is that 6-24 you referenced a Viper PST? if so that's now two of those that have been reported with good results so far!

Yes it is a 6-24 pst. If it holds up I think it will be a strong competitor, only time will tell though.

BigDKC-

I don't have reliable access to a plotter so I just take the leftover movers paper and roll it onto the dining room table. With a yardstick I lay out dots at specific points. I use a 2 foot level and set the target up at 50 or 100 yards. This way I have fine resolution on the turrets against the actual travel on paper.

Once I'm satisfied it's ready to shoot it I then fire on the targets at close range. Assuming it passes there I put them up at 300yd and fire.

I shoot them on a rifle that's proven, not a new rifle. This way I have only 1 equipment variable in the test.

First zero your gun at 100 yards (use sandbags on a good bench), zero all knobs.

Shoot a 10 shot group after zero is established, (say you shoot a 1" group for discussion) this is your constant, you know you are zeroed and you know how large the group size is.

I draw a big (3' wide and 4' tall) upside down "T" on a large piece of paper (make the lines big enough to see at 100 yards, I use a black magic marker & make sure the T is square), put it up with a level so it is square with the world. The cross of the T is your aiming point for everything.

Shoot 1 shot at your aiming point (should impact at the cross, or within 1/2", ie half your group size).

Dial up 10 mils (or 36MOA if MOA scope), shoot another shot.

Dial back down to zero, shoot 1 more, repeat this for 10 shots, you will have 2 each 5 shot 1" groups exactly 10 mils apart (or 36 moa if moa scope) and both groups should be centered on the verticle line if the scope has good elevation controls (and you have leveled the scope properly).

Do the same thing for the windage (I only use 5 mils each way on windage for a total of ten mils).

That Horus 0303E target looks a lot like what I make, only I just use a tape measure to measure.

I don't believe in any form of objective "testing", as it violates the spirt of internet forums. My plan? I'll just write a review based on hearsay and dubious 3rd-party claims and pass it off as fact in a blatant attempt to stir-up a flame war and (most importantly) bring attention upon my otherwise dreary and lonely existence.

To each their own.

Bohem, thanks for your methods! You also bring up a good point I hadn't thought of. Unfortunately for me range time, especially long distance range time is at an ultra premium right now! I'm probably taking on way too much at once but I really don't have much choice! The next time I go to the range, I will only be shooting my new savage for the 2nd time! This is also after having some work done to it by SSS. I will be using and testing the PST for the first time, and doing a ladder test load work up!!

Naturally that is not the best scenario by far but like I said I don't have much choice. I need to check the scope, I need to check the rifle, and I need to get load data so I can get going on some reloading!! It could be a few weeks before I can get back out there. Oh well, could be a great day of shooting, or could be a total disaster! Either way, I'll be giving it a go!

Hellbender, thanks for your tips also! Probably pretty close to what I will be doing! I like the target system that SWFA put up, but I think I can get by doing the same myself like your suggestion. Couple that with checking it out on a collimator and I should be able to prove the scope ok!

Luckily Savage's are pretty well known to be shooters, and Sharp Shooter's Supply are highly praised for their smithing work. Hopefully the rifle itself shouldn't be much of a concern.

That leaves a ladder test and then finish fire forming a bunch of cases at some steel targets!