• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What the pros use confusion

SniperFan78

Private
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2023
North Idaho
I came across tactec.com, which shows what the PRS pros use and ranks the gear by the number of winners.

The #1 scope for 2021 was, by far, the Tangent Theta and the #2 scope was the Leupold Mark 5HD 5-25.

The article for 2022 was just published and the two scopes have completely reversed. However, I am unsure which Leupold Mark 5, because that data is omitted this year. It could be the 7-35.

My question is: is this accurate? Any idea which 5HD? Why have they reversed so dramatically?

Never heard of that site.

Regardless, the 5-25 will be the most used mk5.

I’d also be surprised if there are more TT’s on the line than vortex and/or Leupold overall.

Also, the 2021 post is confusing, as they say they don’t polled the top 10 but their chart show much more than top 10.

Any equipment on a top X list is going to be g2g though. There’s very, very rarely anything that is complete junk and ends up being used by a decent amount of shooters.

I wouldn't read too much into these sorts of lists. Being first or fifth on the list doesn't necessarily mean something is better or worse. That said, it's great to see American companies that support our sport at the top of the lists like Leupold, Foundation, Impact, and Alpha just to name a few.

You know you can just go to the PRS website and not only see what every shooters is using, but they have it all compiled at bottom of home page?

The MK5 is an incredibly popular PRS scope. First, Leupold put it in the hands of about 20 top PRS shooters so its sold a ton just from that. Gadarzi, Pynch, Millard, King, Heckler, Colon, Allison,ect ect ect. Second, its a solid scope you can get for 1500-2k. Most are running the PR2 Reticle.

Aren't most of these guys sponsored by the scope manufacturer they use? How much stock can you really put in lists like this? Honest question.
What are you trying to get at?

If the scope tracks, has a usable reticle and you can see your target you can win with it. On the list what one should worry about trying to win a match, glass quality is way at the bottom. Almost every scope on the list is perfectly serviceable. You can show up to your first match with a TT or ZCO and come in last place, just like many before you who thought the same.

The #1 most used optic does not mean the #1 highest quality. I didn't think this needed to be said but here we are.

Its a list on whats used, and has debatable merit. The only people who care about this dumb shit, are people who don't shoot PRS and the like.

Aren't most of these guys sponsored by the scope manufacturer they use? How much stock can you really put in lists like this? Honest question.
its all pro deals , certs, or free stuff...although there's nothing wrong with that.

Fact that "mid" grade gear is good enough to win, also shows its the indian vs the arrow.

What are you trying to get at?

If the scope tracks, has a usable reticle and you can see your target you can win with it. On the list what one should worry about trying to win a match, glass quality is way at the bottom. Almost every scope on the list is perfectly serviceable. You can show up to your first match with a TT or ZCO and come in last place, just like many before you who thought the same.

The #1 most used optic does not mean the #1 highest quality. I didn't think this needed to be said but here we are.

Its a list on whats used, and has debatable merit. The only people who care about this dumb shit, are people who don't shoot PRS and the like.
I guess my curiosity about “dumb shit” has offended you. This is why I rarely post on forums. So many angry people making assumptions about motives. I didn’t ask about quality. Nor did I ask what would win a PRS match. I already have a 5HD and a TT along with many other optics. I was curious about why the 2 optics seemingly changed in popularity.

I think I’ll going to go back to lurking and let people like you get worked up on someone else.

A lot of top shooters use the gear their sponsors want them to. Nothing wrong with it, just don’t fall for the “ it must be the best because…… is using it.

Reactions: Stoweit and Hegre
I guess my curiosity about “dumb shit” has offended you. This is why I rarely post on forums. So many angry people making assumptions about motives. I didn’t ask about quality. Nor did I ask what would win a PRS match. I already have a 5HD and a TT along with many other optics. I was curious about why the 2 optics seemingly changed in popularity.

I think I’ll going to go back to lurking and let people like you get worked up on someone else.
Well said. I'm beginning to feel the same way

I guess my curiosity about “dumb shit” has offended you. This is why I rarely post on forums. So many angry people making assumptions about motives.
He's a legend in his own mind and quite often comes in with this same arrogant type of attitude. Just ignore him.

"Oooooh, I shoots PRS"...which about a thousand people give a flying fuck about.

He's a legend in his own mind and quite often comes in with this same arrogant type of attitude. Just ignore him.

"Oooooh, I shoots PRS"...which about a thousand people give a flying fuck about.
You have added nothing to this thread of value.

Any gear pretty much any sponsored shooter is running, you can win with. They wouldn't run something that they couldn't win with and they wouldn't continue to be supported unless they shoot well and are good ambassadors.

Again it's people like you who don't shoot compete running your face about stuff you don't know.

If the gear was garbage they would not use it. This game is more about what's between your ears than the label on the equipment. Doug keoining will smoke you with a ruger and Matt Alwine will make you look retarded with a savage. Vibbert will eat your lunch with a USO and King will make you cry with a MK5.

While on the subject of Morgan King ( who is a member here btw)...he shot TT before Leupold. Got tired of sending them back for warranty so switched to leupold and can't say enough good things about them.

You asked about what the "pros" are using and why some things are more popular than others. If you don't give a shit about it then why make the thread in the first place?

You have added nothing to this thread of value.

Any gear pretty much any sponsored shooter is running, you can win with. They wouldn't run something that they couldn't win with and they wouldn't continue to be supported unless they shoot well and are good ambassadors.

Again it's people like you who don't shoot compete running your face about stuff you don't know.

If the gear was garbage they would not use it. This game is more about what's between your ears than the label on the equipment. Doug keoining will smoke you with a ruger and Matt Alwine will make you look retarded with a savage. Vibbert will eat your lunch with a USO and King will make you cry with a MK5.

While on the subject of Morgan King ( who is a member here btw)...he shot TT before Leupold. Got tired of sending them back for warranty so switched to leupold and can't say enough good things about them.
Fuck off.

I shot registered skeet for decades and have seen many, many people like yourself who think because you compete that you can therefore condescend and school to the poor fools who just shoot for enjoyment.

I called it as I see it. You very, very often dive into a thread with a completely arrogant attitude that just screams "asshole"

And I will say it again....nobody but MAYBE a thousand people in the country give a flying fuck about PRS or your participation in it. You have zero excuse for your rotten attitude.

Oh, and as for whether I have anything to add to this thread or not....this is just another example of your overweening arrogance as its not your thread. So let me repeat...fuck off.

thumb_esus-loves-you-but-everyoneeisethinks-yourean-asshole-quickmeme-com-jesus-loves-51086387.png
1679772663398.jpeg

Last edited:

What you should do is grow a slightly thicker skin and ignore the assholes. Why stop doing something because of assholes? Then the assholes win. Just put him on the ignore list if he bothers you that much. Did I mention there are assholes on the internet?

Fuck off.

I shot registered skeet for decades and have seen many, many people like yourself who think because you compete that you can therefore condescend and school to the poor fools who just shoot for enjoyment.

I called it as I see it. You very, very often dive into a thread with a completely arrogant attitude that just screams "asshole"

And I will say it again....nobody but MAYBE a thousand people in the country give a flying fuck about PRS or your participation in it. You have zero excuse for your rotten attitude.

Oh, and as for whether I have anything to add to this thread or not....this is just another example of your overweening arrogance as its not your thread. So let me repeat...fuck off.

thumb_esus-loves-you-but-everyoneeisethinks-yourean-asshole-quickmeme-com-jesus-loves-51086387.png
Registered skeet......this dude is serious haha.

Reactions: 545fitter01
I already have a 5HD and a TT along with many other optics. I was curious about why the 2 optics seemingly changed in popularity.

My guess is... the difference a TT can give you over a 5HD is less and less...or non existent even. It's sort of that, "what is the minimum I need to insure my equipment is not what costs me points" sort of mindset.

I would imagine that a lot of top competitors are utilitarian with their gear. PRS is easily one of the most expensive disciplines so why use something that costs double if it brings no advantage.

You asked about what the "pros" are using and why some things are more popular than others. If you don't give a shit about it then why make the thread in the first place?
Negative. I didn’t ask what the pros are using. I asked why the TT and 5HD seemingly reversed in popularity. Didn’t say I “don’t give a shit” either.

I’m now quite sorry I bothered asking anything at all. I wish the mods would delete this thread.

Negative. I didn’t ask what the pros are using. I asked why the TT and 5HD seemingly reversed in popularity. Didn’t say I “don’t give a shit” either.

I’m now quite sorry I bothered asking anything at all. I wish the mods would delete this thread.
Popularity of what.....stay with me.....

What the pros use... IE competitive shooters.

My guess is... the difference a TT can give you over a 5HD is less and less...or non existent even. It's sort of that, "what is the minimum I need to insure my equipment is not what costs me points" sort of mindset.

I would imagine that a lot of top competitors are utilitarian with their gear. PRS is easily one of the most expensive disciplines so why use something that costs double if it brings no advantage.
The TT (and zco) has alot of advantages over the mk5. Once you get past the basic needs of an optic you get Into things like glass quality, parallax forgiveness, fov, turret feel ect really set them apart. It's why alot of people spend 2x as much on scope...they are just more enjoyable to use. PRS is all KD know the course of fire so you can setup the gun before you get up there. There is no finding targets on clock. Some guys don't really care and will use whatever works that's cheap and others like the Gucci stuff. When you get into other disciplines like prs22 or elr.....the advantages of the better scopes really magnify and set them apart.

Why anyone hasn't checked the ignore button for DeathbeforeDismount is beyond me, all I see is "You are ignoring content by this member" but I see people responding and being riled up by this guy, don't give him the time of day, just hit that ignore button. And the beauty of it is if he responds to this post, I'll never see it and I don't care :ROFLMAO:

Let me try to decipher this for the easily triggered:

It appears the question is more about how many scopes are provided rather than purchased, or at least that’s the impression I had when reading the question. Honestly that is the question we want answered…. So if you were buying your competition scope and not having it given to you by a sponsor which scope would you spend you hard earned dollars on? Counting all the free scopes in with purchased would tend to fudge the numbers, no?

Reactions: motocross308
Regarding the OP and scope list, a couple thoughts. Leupold has ramped up their sponsorship program in PRS... I do not think Tangent Theta sponsors anyone (I could be wrong) and if that is the case then that is all the more impressive. What is strange is the lack of ZCO scopes in this list, not one ZCO in the top 15 shooters for the past two years? I find that surprising. I just did a quick list of my own based on the PRS website but one thing to keep in mind, when you click on a shooter and it shows their gear, that is the gear they use today but that is not a guarantee that was what they used last year or two years ago.

2022 PRS Open Division Champions - https://www.precisionrifleseries.com/profiles/standings/?year=2022&division=O
RANKSHOOTERLocationPOINTSScope Used
1​
Jeffrey GuerryTN
498.93​
Tangent Theta 5-25x56
1​
Austin BuschmanOK
498.93​
Nightforce ATACR 7-35x56 F1
3​
Matthew CarusoTX
496.151​
Kahles K525i 5-25x56
4​
Morgun KingWA
494.652​
Leupold Mark 5HD 5-25x56
5​
Ben GossettGA
493.583​
No information
6​
Nick Gadarzi--
490.654​
Leupold Mark 5HD 5-25x56
7​
Ken SanoskiPA
490.31​
US Optics B-25 5-25x52
8​
Austin Orgain--
488.129​
Tangent Theta 5-25x56
9​
Chad HecklerMI
483.086​
Leupold Mark 5HD 5-25x56
10​
Chris KutalekTX
481.597​
Tangent Theta 5-25x56
11​
Kyle MccormackOK
478.131​
Tangent Theta 5-25x56
12​
Jimmy MooreCO
476.577​
Tangent Theta 5-25x56
13​
David PrestonPA
474.405​
Vortex Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27x56
14​
Jake Millard--
474.259​
Leupold Mark 5HD 5-25x56
15​
Greg HarrisKS
473.06​
Tangent Theta 5-25x56

2021 PRS Open Division Champions - https://www.precisionrifleseries.com/profiles/standings/?year=2021&division=O
1​
Austin Orgain--
500​
Tangent Theta 5-25x56
2​
Morgun KingWA
495.322​
Leupold Mark 5HD 5-25x56
3​
Ken SanoskiPA
494.152​
US Optics B-25 5-25x52
4​
Austin BuschmanOK
490.966​
5​
David PrestonPA
489.707​
6​
Jake Millard--
488.446​
Leupold Mark 5HD 5-25x56
7​
Clay BlackketterOK
486.094​
Tangent Theta 5-25x56
8​
Allison ZanePA
483.626​
9​
Brandon HembreeGA
481.486​
Leupold Mark 5HD 5-25x56
10​
Chad HecklerMI
480.055​
Leupold Mark 5HD 5-25x56
11​
Justin Watts--
474.822​
Tangent Theta 5-25x56
12​
Keith Baker--
474.426​
Vortex Razor HD Gen III 6-36x56
13​
Gregory BellAR
472.807​
Tangent Theta 5-25x56
14​
Matthew CarusoTX
472.546​
Kahles K525i 5-25x56
15​
Tate Streater--
471.434​
No information

Regarding the OP and scope list, a couple thoughts. Leupold has ramped up their sponsorship program in PRS... I do not think Tangent Theta sponsors anyone (I could be wrong) and if that is the case then that is all the more impressive. What is strange is the lack of ZCO scopes in this list, not one ZCO in the top 15 shooters for the past two years? I find that surprising. I just did a quick list of my own based on the PRS website but one thing to keep in mind, when you click on a shooter and it shows their gear, that is the gear they use today but that is not a guarantee that was what they used last year or two years ago.

2022 PRS Open Division Champions - https://www.precisionrifleseries.com/profiles/standings/?year=2022&division=O
1​
Jeffrey GuerryTN
498.93​
Tangent Theta 5-25x56
1​
Austin BuschmanOK
498.93​
3​
Matthew CarusoTX
496.151​
Kahles K525i 5-25x56
4​
Morgun KingWA
494.652​
Leupold Mark 5HD 5-25x56
5​
Ben GossettGA
493.583​
No information
6​
Nick Gadarzi--
490.654​
Leupold Mark 5HD 5-25x56
7​
Ken SanoskiPA
490.31​
US Optics B-25 5-25x52
8​
Austin Orgain--
488.129​
Tangent Theta 5-25x56
9​
Chad HecklerMI
483.086​
Leupold Mark 5HD 5-25x56
10​
Chris KutalekTX
481.597​
Tangent Theta 5-25x56
11​
Kyle MccormackOK
478.131​
Tangent Theta 5-25x56
12​
Jimmy MooreCO
476.577​
Tangent Theta 5-25x56
13​
David PrestonPA
474.405​
14​
Jake Millard--
474.259​
Leupold Mark 5HD 5-25x56
15​
Greg HarrisKS
473.06​
Tangent Theta 5-25x56

2021 PRS Open Division Champions - https://www.precisionrifleseries.com/profiles/standings/?year=2021&division=O
1​
Austin Orgain--
500​
Tangent Theta 5-25x56
2​
Morgun KingWA
495.322​
Leupold Mark 5HD 5-25x56
3​
Ken SanoskiPA
494.152​
US Optics B-25 5-25x52
4​
Austin BuschmanOK
490.966​
5​
David PrestonPA
489.707​
6​
Jake Millard--
488.446​
Leupold Mark 5HD 5-25x56
7​
Clay BlackketterOK
486.094​
Tangent Theta 5-25x56
8​
Allison ZanePA
483.626​
9​
Brandon HembreeGA
481.486​
Leupold Mark 5HD 5-25x56
10​
Chad HecklerMI
480.055​
Leupold Mark 5HD 5-25x56
11​
Justin Watts--
474.822​
Tangent Theta 5-25x56
12​
Keith Baker--
474.426​
Vortex Razor HD Gen III 6-36x56
13​
Gregory BellAR
472.807​
Tangent Theta 5-25x56
14​
Matthew CarusoTX
472.546​
Kahles K525i 5-25x56
15​
Tate Streater--
471.434​
No information

It’s not strange, ZCO does not provide sponsorship that many other manufacturers provide that go beyond free or heavily discounted gear. When some of the top shooters can be provides more than most will ever know…

It’s no conspiracy or a reflection of gear, it’s the size of a company’s pocket book and how long they have been in business.

Last edited:
There's always an overestimation in the industry as to how much free gear is given out to sponsored shooters.

It's not remotely as much as people think. It's actually pretty rare to see any company that isn't Vortex or Leupold handing out free scopes(both companies make good optics BTW). This isn't like the NBA where people buy a shoe because someone's name is attached.

I'd estimate that about 90% of "jersey" shooters aren't officially sponsored and at best got a small discount on gear. And I'd estimate only about that top 5% of shooters receive anything absolutely free. The majority of official "team" or "sponsored" shooters still pay for their gear out of their own pocket.....just at a discounted rate down to about the manufacturer's cost of the item.

And most sponsorships evolve from a shooter using a piece of gear at the full price to begin with. It's fairly rare that a company seeks out a shooter to put a product they weren't using in their hands.

There's always an overestimation in the industry as to how much free gear is given out to sponsored shooters.

It's not remotely as much as people think. It's actually pretty rare to see any company that isn't Vortex or Leupold handing out free scopes(both companies make good optics BTW). This isn't like the NBA where people buy a shoe because someone's name is attached.

I'd estimate that about 90% of "jersey" shooters aren't officially sponsored and at best got a small discount on gear. And I'd estimate only about that top 5% of shooters receive anything absolutely free. The majority of official "team" or "sponsored" shooters still pay for their gear out of their own pocket.....just at a discounted rate down to about the manufacturer's cost of the item.

And most sponsorships evolve from a shooter using a piece of gear at the full price to begin with. It's fairly rare that a company seeks out a shooter to put a product they weren't using in their hands.

Yes that is the majority of Jersey Shooters, covered in your post. But those I’m referring to are some of the top guys who this topic is focusing on.

It’s not strange, ZCO does not provide sponsorship that many other manufacturers provide that go beyond free or heavily discounted gear. When some of the top shooters can be provided a salary, tons of free gear, pay for match fees, travel, lodging etc…

It’s no conspiracy or a reflection of gear, it’s the size of a company’s pocket book and how long they have been in business.

Does Tangent Theta sponsor anyone? They seem well represented.

Yes that is the majority of Jersey Shooters, cover your post. But those I’m referring to are some of the top guys who this topic is focusing on.

I know many of the top shooters in the lists above. They don't get a ton of free optics, actions, etc etc. At least 7 out of the top 15 above didn't get a free optic.

And companies aren't knocking at their door unsolicited to get gear into their hands.

People get pretty hung up with the flashy jerseys.

It's a hobby. The term "professional" gets used very liberally in this sport.

These guys are plumbers, pharmacists, bank tellers, etc. 5 days a week.

Companies aren't giving huge handouts to subsidize a hobby with no spectator/commercial value.

I know many of the top shooters in the lists above. They don't get a ton of free optics, actions, etc etc. At least 7 out of the top 15 above didn't get a free optic.

Yeah and we do too, so are we going to break out a ruler? :cool:

Welcome to Sniper’s Hide, you are not the only SME on here :)
Richard

Yeah and we do too, so are we going to break out a ruler? :cool:

Welcome to Sniper’s Hide, you are not the only SME on here :)
Richard

You quoted my post, not the other way around. Don't get angry when you decide to correct someone and they correct you back.

People get pretty hung up with the flashy jerseys.

It's a hobby. The term "professional" gets used very liberally in this sport.

These guys are plumbers, pharmacists, bank tellers, etc. 5 days a week.

Companies aren't giving huge handouts to subsidize a hobby with no spectator/commercial value.

That “you” know of…

Why anyone hasn't checked the ignore button for DeathbeforeDismount is beyond me, all I see is "You are ignoring content by this member" but I see people responding and being riled up by this guy, don't give him the time of day, just hit that ignore button. And the beauty of it is if he responds to this post, I'll never see it and I don't care :ROFLMAO:
Living rent free in your head is great

Let me try to decipher this for the easily triggered:

It appears the question is more about how many scopes are provided rather than purchased, or at least that’s the impression I had when reading the question. Honestly that is the question we want answered…. So if you were buying your competition scope and not having it given to you by a sponsor which scope would you spend you hard earned dollars on? Counting all the free scopes in with purchased would tend to fudge the numbers, no?

Generally speaking, Leupold and Vortex have better sponsorship programs than other optic manufacturers. ZCO offers a good discount and I'm not aware of any TT program. Kahles has a tiered program, but is still discounted mostly.

Most action companies give little to no discounts as they are small companies.

Triggers, regardless of what is given or not, you'd still see Bix and Triggertech anyway.

That “you” know of…
I'm not aware of anyone that makes a living off of shooting PRS.

But maybe I'm wrong. There could be the odd shooter that's getting a killer sweetheart deal from a company he/she is really buddy-buddy with.

PRS is very much a grass roots sport, there's little commercial value when you compare it to any mainstream sport that has spectators.

I don't know if I'll ever see in my lifetime true professional PRS shooters, that make a genuine living from this hobby. That would require appeal to spectators which could be commercialized, something I don't see happening.

But maybe I'm wrong. There could be the odd shooter that's getting a killer sweetheart deal from a company he/she is really buddy-buddy with.

PRS is very much a grass roots sport, there's little commercial value when you compare it to any mainstream sport that has spectators.

I don't know if I'll ever see in my lifetime true professional PRS shooters, that make a genuine living from this hobby. That would require appeal to spectators which could be commercialized, something I don't see happening.
AMU shooters, subsidized by uncle sugar.
The Hornbacks, keonigs ect who made their fame in other more lucrative shooting disciplines are probally the closest to pro shooters with their big name sponsorships.

Reactions: kthomas

Oh I didn’t say anyone was making a full living on it, but there are different tiers that many do not know about.

Oh I didn’t say anyone was making a full living on it, but there are different tiers that many do not know about.

I'm sure there are many different tiers of sponsorships, I certainly wouldn't expect differently.

Not all shooters would bring the same value to a sponsor.

Reactions: CSTactical
I can answer one of the questions in here not related to the list of popular gear. The desire was expressed that the mods would delete this thread. That will not happen. The most that might ever happen is that it gets locked and then floats downstream. But it is here forever and ever. Check out the section of Lowlight Directives.

There was another person who wanted his account deleted and all of his reponses erased. It will not be done. The big reason is that it is a record of a member ID. They do not want a person coming back in different IDs. The best solution offered by Lowlight is log out and don't come back. This is a specific and tight little community but none of us has to be here. Also, I would say, before a person logs out and doesn't come back, change the profile settings to not get email updates. Otherwise, a guy will be reminded of the halcyon days he now misses.

IOW, if you crap the bed, you have to lie in it or clean it, yourself.

I can answer one of the questions in here not related to the list of popular gear. The desire was expressed that the mods would delete this thread. That will not happen. The most that might ever happen is that it gets locked and then floats downstream. But it is here forever and ever. Check out the section of Lowlight Directives.

There was another person who wanted his account deleted and all of his reponses erased. It will not be done. The big reason is that it is a record of a member ID. They do not want a person coming back in different IDs. The best solution offered by Lowlight is log out and don't come back. This is a specific and tight little community but none of us has to be here. Also, I would say, before a person logs out and doesn't come back, change the profile settings to not get email updates. Otherwise, a guy will be reminded of the halcyon days he now misses.

IOW, if you crap the bed, you have to lie in it or clean it, yourself.
Hello my friend. I think if the OP deletes his originating post that the thread will be deleted. Emphasis on “think”

Reactions: spife7980
Hello my friend. I think if the OP deletes his originating post that the thread will be deleted. Emphasis on “think”
I do not have a paid membership. I do know this. You can edit and erase whatever you wrote but if someone else quoted your words before deletion, those words will be in there post.

Reactions: Baron23
I do not have a paid membership. I do know this. You can edit and erase whatever you wrote but if someone else quoted your words before deletion, those words will be in there post.
I think it’s only the originating post…the very first one…that if deleted will delete the thread but I may be wrong.

Also, to those who participated in this thread, I apologize for losing my temper and the free use of vulgarities (tho they are my super power! Haha).

I hate losing my temper and always regret it, particularly losing it at some dang anonymous Internet forum user . It’s just silly to take this stuff that seriously.

Cheers.