• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision What thermal Scanner to buy?

HuntND

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2018
North Dakota
What is the best thermal scanner to buy for long range scanning for coyotes? It’s mainly for calling at night and will be helmet mounted. I have a haloxrf on my gun but need a scanner. Thanks

The Nox35 is good to use with a helmet? Not too heavy? Suggestions on where to get a helmet and attachments needed to mount it?
Thanks

he Nox35 is good to use with a helmet? Not too heavy? Suggestions on where to get a helmet and attachments needed to mount it?
Thanks
Probably need a counterweight for it, but I believe those are available. Lots of Helmet options out there

I think Strictly Offensive Kit has some mounting options for the Nox, not sure if they have helmets as well.

Probably need a counterweight for it, but I believe those are available. Lots of Helmet options out there

I think Strictly Offensive Kit has some mounting options for the Nox, not sure if they have helmets as well.

Nox 35 is a great longer range scanner. On a helmet, the Nox 35 does benefit from a counterweight system.

We do provide thermals, mounts, and bridges, but we do not stock helmets at this time. We work with several other entities that carry them, and we're happy to make a recommendation or referrals based on the end-users needs.

If helmet mounted the NOX is your best bet. Too much difference to go down to a Breach. If not helmet mounted, the Phenom 640 or the Helion 2 XP50.

That makes sense.
I found a used Trijicon Patrol M300W close to home, price is okay, I still would rather buy new, how do the patrols compare to Nox35?
Thanks

How do these two compare to one another are there any discernible differences between these two?
Bering Optics Phenom 640
* Less expensive: Around $850 cheaper
* Better warranty: 4 year vs 3 year
* Lighter: About 3 oz
* FOV: 13° vs 12.4° (not a huge difference but FOV is important for a scanner)
* 12µm (Phenom) vs 17µm (Helion)

Pulsar Helion 2 XP50
* Integrated battery packs: Expensive but last a long time vs Phenom 6 hour internal
* Records audio and video vs just video on Bering
* Fit and finish a little nicer
* Image Control: Pulsar has more levels to their adjustments
* Better end cap. The one on the Phenom is poor ($20 endcap from Amazon works great)

A lot of people will ask about image quality. I have used the Helion XP50 (not pro or 2) and have used the new Trail 2. The Phenom image in my opinion is better than both. However, the Helion allows for more image adjustment. I own the Phenom due to the price and warranty. In general, the sensor in the Bering thermals handles humidity better than most brands. Both are great choices.

Reactions: DIBBS and QRE23
That makes sense.
I found a used Trijicon Patrol M300W close to home, price is okay, I still would rather buy new, how do the patrols compare to Nox35?
Thanks
Never had a side by side comparison of the two, but I would say the Nox image is slightly better.
If it was my money, unless I was saving thousands with the used patrol, I would go Nox. Primary reasons would be the 5 year warranty vs what (if any being used) you would get with the Trijicon. I also really like the run time with the 18650 compatibility of the Nox versus having to use a remote pack to extend run time.
And although I have not had to use it, I hear good things about customer service if you do.

Reactions: Edgecrusher
I can see getting a nox. I would always recommend get the best scanner you can possibly afford. I have a pulsar helion xp50 and love it. I spend about 90% of my time looking through the scanner.

Get a Voodoo-S. Helmet mount and have a clipon or dedicated TWS if/when necessary.

Does anyone use the bino thermal scanners like the Pulsar Accolade Pro with the LRF or the N-Vision Atlas?