• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What throating reamers should I buy?

Garvey

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 1, 2010
Melissa, Texas
This year I have purchased lathe, tooling, and reamers from Manson. I had the reamers ground 0 free bore, because I want to control the amount of free bore. I know it is another step, and that is fine.

Right now, I need 7mm and 30 cal. Eventually I will need all calibers from .224" to .338".

Price is not really a concern, I am more concerned with buying the best tooling, for years of service to come.

Jgs and PT&G sell “standard” throat reamers with a 1.5 degree leade. If you dont specify the freebore and pilot diameter, they’ll come .0005 over groove diameter and a standard pilot. Manson’s throaters are completely different in design, and have a fixed pilot. I recommend the JGS or PTG version.

One other thing, I've got spiral snd straight fluted versions and have no preference. Id say save your money and buy straight. They do so little work, they’ll last forever.

Can this be done with T-handle throat reamer?
The OP will be doing his own chambering, so it would be much better to throat while the barrel is still set up in the lathe. The actual reamer is the same though, just without the T handle and associated parts.

The OP will be doing his own chambering, so it would be much better to throat while the barrel is still set up in the lathe. The actual reamer is the same though, just without the T handle and associated parts.
I figured that. Just wanted to know if I could do it on one of my rigs with a T handle.