• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What to do with 10/22 take off barrels?

TexAZ

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 4, 2013
College Station, TX
Between my dad and I, we have a few 10/22 carbine barrels laying around, collecting dust, seeing as much use as a snowmobile in Texas. Is there anything out there that makes these barrels worth more than tent stakes or $40 online sales? Please share if you have done anything interesting with a take off barrel!

I thread em for suppressors all the time for people. They make nice barrel to shoot this piss out of with no reservations.

I simply knock off the front sight post and turn down that section. I leave about .100 or so of the original diameter where the sight was as the shoulder. Works perfect and infact Ruger is basically doing the same thing on some of the newer 10/22 that are threaded.

Depends on what kind of tools you have available and your skill set. Personally, having neither, I sold my 2 take offs - both from rusty pawn shop buys to use as build hosts, one from a '76 edition with the "made in the 200th year of american liberty" stamp, sold both for $25 each plus shipping.

If you had the skill and tools, using one to make a rifle or pistol on your own, using an aftermarket receiver or 80% and making your own Tec-22 style pistol, etc.

I started thinking on this after reading your post. New weekend project! Thanks for the ideas!

Depends on what kind of tools you have available and your skill set. Personally, having neither, I sold my 2 take offs - both from rusty pawn shop buys to use as build hosts, one from a '76 edition with the "made in the 200th year of american liberty" stamp, sold both for $25 each plus shipping.

If you had the skill and tools, using one to make a rifle or pistol on your own, using an aftermarket receiver or 80% and making your own Tec-22 style pistol, etc.