• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What to expect for 20" 260 AR platform

coltm4

Major PITA
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2014
I'm at a crossroad for my large format AR build. I'm seriously considering a 260 Rem because I've always wanted the ballistics of the 260/ 6.5mm projectiles. But the back of my head keeps nagging me that 260 is and should be a bolt gun project and not an AR. That said, I'm considering a 20" Lilja barrel in 260. How hard is the AR platform on 260 brass and what kind of performance (velocity, range, per type of bullet) should I expect? I plan on adjustable gas with selector for "on, suppressed, off". Help please. I reload and I'm pretty agnostic about the issue.

I run a DPMS .260 bull barrel, i run a mellow 142gr Sierra at 2700, (123's can run a lot faster)
an adjustable gas block is the way to go for nice non hammering on the brass, i suggest going with a more tuneable gas block (as apposed to full/half/off)

Mine throws the brass 3 1/2 feet at 2:00, same with my suppressor on (brass dose get dirtier with can on) but no plugs needed :)

I think .260 Rem and the AR10 go hand-in-hand, with some caveats.

The firing pin hole size can be more of a limiting factor than anything else as far as hand loads go. Armalite BCG's, or a bushed DPMS style BCG will deal with that better.

Other than that, you're off to the right start by looking at the Lilja barrel option. I have a Bartlein on mine that GA Precision did, and it's a shooter, printing consistent .4" to .6" 5-round groups at 100yds, and well under MOA out to 1000yds. I'm very pleased with it.

From a 20" barrel, you can expect to shoot 123gr at around 2800fps. 130gr will be in the mid-2700's.

Last edited:
Since I only know enough to be dangerous... Don't I want the higher BC projectiles in the 130+gr at 2800 and above? Is this doable without killing brass. And by killing brass, I mean I get 6 reloads before scrap bin. I don't have high hopes as compared to bolt guns, but I think 6x isn't too unreasonable. Thanks for the replies so far. I'm really wanting to learn. Thoughts on JP BCG and bolt?

That's where I'm at with the 130gr VLD, 2820fps avg with H4350. I get several loads on my 7mm-08 brass before pockets are loose, maybe 4-5 loads, but that was when I was using N540, which was too hot for my tastes in the long run.

My Lapua brass is holding up well. I can push the 142gr SMK to 2700fps with RL17, but I really like the 130gr for a 22" barrel gasser. Very nice balance of speed, retained energy, wind drift, and low recoil compared to .308 Winchester.

Any chance you can get behind one and shoot a few rounds? For me, I just could never get used to the multiple recoil impulses when shooting "precision". If I think about it, I feel 4 distinct pulses, if I am thinking about groups, I still feel three. I really enjoy my ARs, and I might again try a large pattern in the DPMS G2, but I just never felt comfortable with my .260 AR pattern rifle.

I have DPMS AR in .260. Love it. Very accurate, reliable also. You're on the right track. Mine is a 24" bull, my next will be a 20". Go for it.

It beats the brass some, but I'm sure I'll get numerous loads per casing. I use Lapua brass for my bolt .260. and Southwest ammo for my AR. I shoot out the ammo, and then reload the brass.

I have the 20" .260 barrel on my LMT MWS. It pushes the 123 Scenars about 2825 fps out of it with H4350.