• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What to expect for accuracy.

blacklab1

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 23, 2018
I put a B14r together and finally had a chance to shoot it today. I only had 3 different brands of ammo, Remington gold bucket, federal match and CCI. All three grouped 6 shots slightly under a half inch at 25 yards and right around an inch at 100 yards. Vertical the shots were all pretty close but horizontally is where the groups opened up so I’m pretty sure I still need to work on my form. My question is what size groups should I expect from my rifle with quality ammo? There happened to be another guy at the range shooting .22 when I was there so I started asking him about what he was shooting. He was getting one hole groups at a 100 yards…. but he also had a custom rifle. So what will a stock Bergara barreled action in a MDT chassis do if I do my part?

Random acts of accuracy will happen. Consistent results are another story.
Expect American made 22lr to produce 1 inch of spread at 50 yards, 3 inches at 100 yards.
Occasional bugholes will happen but are not predictable.
The real question is: Can you hit what you aim at?
Try shooting for score, not groups. Y'er gonna learn more, faster.

My B14R in a KRG Bravo chassis consistently shoots Lapua Center-X at 0.30" @ 50 yards, 5 shot group. Don't bother with anything with "Remington" on the box. Eley, Lapau, SK, RWS all offer a variety of match grade ammo.

My B14R in a KRG Bravo chassis consistently shoots Lapua Center-X at 0.30" @ 50 yards, 5 shot group. Don't bother with anything with "Remington" on the box. Eley, Lapau, SK, RWS all offer a variety of match grade ammo.
My 22/45 and 10/22 I use for steel challenge runs Remington gold bucket best so I have a ton of it on hand. I’m not really planning on using it for the MARS season. I haven’t had time to look any quality stuff yet……I was like a kid on Christmas morning and wanted to get my new toy to the range.

Random acts of accuracy will happen. Consistent results are another story.
Expect American made 22lr to produce 1 inch of spread at 50 yards, 3 inches at 100 yards.
Occasional bugholes will happen but are not predictable.
The real question is: Can you hit what you aim at?
Try shooting for score, not groups. Y'er gonna learn more, faster.
I have a lot to learn yet😕

May I see a picture of that please.
I didn’t think to take a picture. I seen it through a spotting scope. His 100 yard group was tighter then my 25 yard. These are my 25 yard groups.

Attachments

• 39A007C7-8BC9-44A1-B3DA-389E8B7277C9.jpeg
    39A007C7-8BC9-44A1-B3DA-389E8B7277C9.jpeg
    256.8 KB · Views: 181
Reactions: usafa77
10 shots in a group under an inch at 100 is very good. Rimfire ammo often has a lot of vertical vs horizontal spread, with a few in every box throwing your average group size off, often vertically. There are many more sub MOA ten shot groups at 100 mentioned than there are shown in pictures. A good rifle/ammo combo will do consistent 10 in 1/2” at 50, a great combo will do 10 in 1/4” at 50 on demand. There is a very large difference between the best groups that a gun/ammo combo shoots, and the average ones it shoots. Rimfire can be super frustrating that way if you shoot off the bench or prone. Once you start shooting various positions it’s a lot easier to find a combo that out shoots you, so you can spot the areas to improve. I shoot paper mostly because I need to see where my misses go so I can fix my errors.

10 shots in a group under an inch at 100 is very good. Rimfire ammo often has a lot of vertical vs horizontal spread, with a few in every box throwing your average group size off, often vertically. There are many more sub MOA ten shot groups at 100 mentioned than there are shown in pictures. A good rifle/ammo combo will do consistent 10 in 1/2” at 50, a great combo will do 10 in 1/4” at 50 on demand. There is a very large difference between the best groups that a gun/ammo combo shoots, and the average ones it shoots. Rimfire can be super frustrating that way if you shoot off the bench or prone. Once you start shooting various positions it’s a lot easier to find a combo that out shoots you, so you can spot the areas to improve. I shoot paper mostly because I need to see where my misses go so I can fix my errors.
Hmmm, maybe I caught one of his better groups, I didn’t look at his 200 yard targets. I know it was very humbling when I seen he was doing better at 100 yards then I was at 25.

Hmmm, maybe I caught one of his better groups, I didn’t look at his 200 yard targets. I know it was very humbling when I seen he was doing better at 100 yards then I was at 25.
There are certainly shooters and rifle/ammo combos that can do it, just not as many as we hope. Some of the electronically measured groups at the 22 ammo test Centers show 100 yd groups about 2.8X the size of 50yd groups measuring the same shots as they go farther down range. Rimfire can be frustrating, but its a lot cheaper to shoot more of than centerfire.

Reactions: Sixgunjeff
This is a good representation of what I AM able to do with my B14R... Somewhere between awful and fairly good. My B14R gives me about the same results with a lot of consistent ammo, the usual SK Std+, Lapua Midas or RWS R50. I think it's limiting factor is mainly the shooter aka. trigger monkey. And I have a lot of issues with my eyes retaining a clear image with the cheap Hawke optic I'm using.

geco-sa-b14.jpg

Dots are point of aim. If I go for group size, I like to retain my aim point and dial it up or down a bit. I find that using the POA as POI usually gives me larger groups, as I "wander" inside the increasing aim point.

So - lots and lots of factors that influence the result on paper...

Not to hijack this thread, but I‘ve shot my B14R only one session. I’m a little disappointed in the trigger pull weight. It does break very cleanly, but just seems heavy after my CZ 457. Who has gone to aftermarket triggers, which one, and why? Looking hard at the Triggertech Special vs the Diamond right now. Is the Diamond worth $75 more than the Special?

B14 R with Lapua Center X lot tested. This is 10 rounds at 50 yards with an ATS tuner on it.
Just an example of what you can get if you work at it.

Factory stock and carbon barrel with Diamond trigger.

Attachments

• 20210820_122548.jpg
    20210820_122548.jpg
    323.4 KB · Views: 126
My question is what size groups should I expect from my rifle with quality ammo?
Random selections of match ammo (even expensive varieties) won't guarantee a high level of performance.

In other words, the name on the box of ammo can't promise great results. Since lots of the same variety of quality ammo vary in how they shoot in a rifle, it's necessary to test for those that shoot to expectations -- on the condition, of course, that the rifle's barrel is up to the task.

Not to hijack this thread, but I‘ve shot my B14R only one session. I’m a little disappointed in the trigger pull weight. It does break very cleanly, but just seems heavy after my CZ 457. Who has gone to aftermarket triggers, which one, and why? Looking hard at the Triggertech Special vs the Diamond right now. Is the Diamond worth $75 more than the Special?
I have the same question. Not real happy with the trigger.

My B14R shoots almost any ammo well at 25 yards - so I use 100 yards to "see" the capability of the B14R with a certain 22 ammo. The bunch I shoot with tends to use SK brand - and we see good results with most of the SK family. I like Biathlon Plus for mine. I use my B14R for PRS rimfire so I need capability past 100 yards to 300 yards+. In my experience, if you switch bands - say CCI to SK - you need to shoot some foulers with the "new" brand before shooting for groups.

There's a very easy to do mod for the stock trigger, it's almost as if Bergara intended this... https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1219859 If this doesn't float your boat, the B14R is compatible with Remington 700 triggers. A lot of people use TriggerTech Diamond triggers, I use a Jewell HVR.

Reactions: AZ Dan
I swapped my B14R to a Rem 700 Trigger Tech Special. Happy with results. I got the "red-white-blue" version that is often found on sale.

You’ll have to test to find what it likes best. My B14r and my Vudoo both like faster match ammo. I typically run SK LR match for serious stuff and for 100-300+yds. SK std. + is great practice ammo, and very good for 50-100yds, but the extreme spread has it coming apart for 100+ yd shooting.

I had horrendous results with Eley Team, Match and Tenex in the past. Then, I tested lots over the past 3 days that were great. The target below is with my Vudoo, but my B14r was able to hang very close to it (shooting small pieces of broken clays on the berm 27/30 hits) at 100yds.

The only absolute with rimfire is that there are no absolutes when it comes to ammo/lots.

Attachments

• 51BEDB17-9047-4238-AE58-425AA9778F42.jpeg
    51BEDB17-9047-4238-AE58-425AA9778F42.jpeg
    459.3 KB · Views: 116
Reactions: Emerson0311
I put a trigger tech special in mine before I moved it to my RimX. It broke at 14oz which is lower than the advertised 1lb. Breaks the same way with the RimX. When my Bergara chassis gets here I will buy another spceical to put in it. I don’t need or want a trigger that breaks less than that. It’s feels just right. I also have found that I like flat shoes. I have a AI and it breaks right at 2lbs with a curved shoe. I don’t even feel the need to upgrade to the comp trigger. So it just depends on the rifle IMO. The stock trigger in the Bergara isn’t horrible. Mine broke at 2.5lbs right out of the factory.

Get the Diamond
Mark

Reactions: Fire Cop
if i have any of my rimfire rifles shooting 1-1.5MOA at 100yds, i consider that an exceptionally well shooting rifle.

the BEST groups ive been able to consistently shoot from my Anschutz small bore rig was 0.75" at 100......and that was 10 shot groups in a testing tunnel with no wind.
I have three rifles that are capable of sub-moa 10 round groups at 100 yards, but often have 1 round that's a "flier". That's the main problem with .22lr ammo and groups. Whither the "flier" is ammo inconsistency or fool behind the trigger, I'll always blame the ammo. 🧐 A poor excuse is better than no excuse. 😎

Tha
if i have any of my rimfire rifles shooting 1-1.5MOA at 100yds, i consider that an exceptionally well shooting rifle.

the BEST groups ive been able to consistently shoot from my Anschutz small bore rig was 0.75" at 100......and that was 10 shot groups in a testing tunnel with no wind.
That sounds like the about same results that I’ve heard from other bench rest shooters with quality rifles and ammo. Many shooters exclude “fliers” and report best, not average groups.

I have the same question. Not real happy with the trigger.

You can pull the weight screw completely out. Add a sear adjustment for further tuning.

Or you can do what I did and buy a bix & Andy.

Only problem is I ended up with $900 in triggers because I had to replace a few center-fire ones after using it on the b14r.

Reactions: 629-4
I have a Tikka T1X in the factory config.

It likes Ely Club and will stack em tight at 50 yards.

I decided to move out to 100.

I, as the shooter, and the rifle, and the ammo, were quickly humbled.

Distance, variability in the ammo, and wind wreck havoc on rimfire at distance.

I can see how a 2” at 100 every day gun is a VERY GOOD gun.

For bench rest the Diamond is definitely worth the extra $75. I will say that for my hunting rifles the Special is what I like, but I have four diamonds in my BR rifles

Remington golden bullet? That’s what we shoot when I want the kids to practice malfunction clearance. Fail to fire. Fail to eject. Fail to extract. Fail to feed. You never know what you’ll get, but there’s one in every mag. Accuracy out of a Kidd 10/22 that shoots sub moa at 50y (with Center X) is ‘meh’ at best. I‘ve got a brick I cant bear to open. And, a random assortment of other American brands that suck to varying degrees.

Even Blazer runs better.

Eley, SK, Lapua, RWS. That’s where I’d start if I were looking for accuracy. Center X seems to be the best bang for buck in my rifles. I shoot CCI sv for plinking, and CenterX for matches.

Better ammo, better groups.
At 50 yards I get,
CCI SV .5 to .8
SK pistol and rifle best of .26
RWS .3`s