• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing what to modify on savage 10fp

anthonylapoint

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 8, 2011
central CT
Hey everyone, im new to snipershide. Dont know why I waited so long to join because I have been reading the posts for years. I have a Savage 10FPLE2A completely stock and it does shoot well, with Federal Gold Match 168g I can shoot a 3 round .5 moa group at 100 yards. With the other then brands im shooting .75. The rifle is capable of shooting better but I am getting the occasional fly I would like to eliminate. I would like atleast .4 moa consistantly not occasionally. My question is, what should I do first? Im a full time student and I have a child on the way. Best bang for the bucks is what im looking for. A stock replacement with a glass bed would be good but would a better recoil lug + screwing in the barrel a thread + trueing the action and head space/timing be a more wise decision? The crown looks fine but would a recrown help as well? Eventually I plan to do all but im lookng for the most accuracy for my money right now. Also, those of you who own savage 10fp's, are 175's more accurate? Any advise will be much appreciated. Celer Silens Mortalis

Re: what to modify on savage 10fp

Best investment is powder and projo's. Shoot it until IT becomes the limiting factor. Then upgrade. If you are not capable of shooting the rifle to its current maximum potential, then you need to train until you can. Then you can worry about the equipment. Good luck and welcome to the Hide.

For budget, a stock and bedding will probably help most. I say this because its the cheapest of your listed options as trueing the action isn't cheaply done unless you're capable of doing most of the work. By that I mean you have proper tools/training or knowledge to do everything else yourself. When you have the action done or separate the barrelled receiver then I would absolutely add a new recoil lug. Oh amd yes 175's perform better in my 10fp. However these were my hand loads and not factory.118lr should perform pretty darn good though.

If it's the HS stock version, I wouldn't do anything to the stock. Federal Gold match is decent ammo and so is your rifle. I would put the money into reloading equipment. Make better ammo. In the end you'll spend as much on ammo as factory, but you'll shoot way more for that same money and shoot better ammo.It won't take major bucks to make better ammo either. Don't get sucked into all the expensive presses and gadgets to get started.

Unfortunatly, I live in a two bedroom apartment with no room, I cant reload. I have a friend that will help me out in that category. Replacing the stock ugly Choate Ultimate Varmite would help probably eliminate the flyers. How tight is the tolerance in the barrel for head space? With reloads, head space at a tighter tolerance and new stock, should be good for now right? Is that the right track? And yes, I feel im fairly competant in maximizing my rifle, but who doesnt have room for improvement?

I doubt that changing the headspace will help. Bedding the action properly so there is no deflection upon tightening and loosening the action screws will probably help the most. Remember to float the tang. Take the online course the Hide offers. That and practice would be my suggestions. Good luck.

Did you say Ultimate Varmint stock? Sorry I like Chaote and I am using a tactical stock that they make, but I'd throw those sniper/varmint stocks in the trash. That's just my opinion...tried one once and was not impressed at all. I know alot of guys are running them and it could have just been the one I got. Not my choice to make though.

Now on to the headspace. The headspace really is either right or wrong. Yes you can play with it alittle, but there's no point in tearing things down if you're not going to do anything other than move the barrel a small degree really. Sure some factory settings have a tad of play, but unless you have a barrel nut wrench and an action wrench and a vise to support things, etc. Well you're most likely only going to ruin your gun by bending up the action. If I'm gonna separate my barreled action, then I'm gonna add a recoil lug! Otherwise it's really pointless to go through the hassle. If you do indeed mess with headspace then make sure you have the gauges to set back to proper spec!

Again, I'd at least do a skim bed on the stock you have and bed the recoil lug, however if you do that and later you replace the recoil lug, well be prepared to have to do the bedding in the lug area again, because it won't fit then.

Do a search for Stockadegunstocks. Kevin can get you fixed up with a new heavy recoil lug, a new bolt handle, and a bolt lift kit. He can also fix you up with a nice stock if you want to spend the money and wait for it. If you want a tactical type stock and not really have to wait then find a dealer with a Choate tactical or a B&C stock that is the right spacing for your gun.

Just my opinions and they aren't for everybody, but all these are options are fairly simple and should help increase the accuracy and operation of your rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kenda</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Best investment is powder and projo's. Shoot it until IT becomes the limiting factor. Then upgrade. If you are not capable of shooting the rifle to its current maximum potential, then you need to train until you can. Then you can worry about the equipment. Good luck and welcome to the Hide. </div></div>

+1 If you are already sub-MOA I would spend the money on ammo. If it likes 168's, so be it - they're good out to at least 600-800 yards (over 1,000 - hit steel at 1,370 last weekend - at 4,700 feet of elevation). There is so much more to long range shooting than the rifle.

Thanks for some advise. Think ill replace the stock cause I am not a fan of the varmint stock to begin with. Ill replace the recoil lug now so I only have to bed once. 1000 m shooting is more then .5 inch groups, learned that from my days spent at the south end of Fallujah. Anywhere having some awesome veteran sales this weekend and willing to hook up an old Recon Marine? Celer Silens Mortalis

Well, as a full time student myself, I was in your exact place 1 year ago. I had a bone stock savage FCP-K and wanted to mod it a bit. It was a .5 to .6 shooter. After a bunch of research, I found the most effiecient way of making it an all around better shooter was to add a choate tactical stock,SSS com trigger and skim bedded it myself. It now will hold .4 MOA with groups occasionally dipping below that. The ergonomics of the choate are much better than the factory stock and the SSS comp trigger is miles ahead of the accu-trigger. The cost for all of this was under 300 bucks. I wouldn't mess with the recoil lug because not only will you need to buy the lug, then you need to buy a nut wrench and have a vise , etc. Keep it simple for now until you are ready to rebarrel, then get the lug. Forget about blueprinting, there is no evidence that Savages benefit in the least from that process.

You can get a Bell & Carlson Medalist stock for $200 and bed it yourself, your total cost would be around $250, The B & C stocks are great stocks for the money and will give you some improvement. To change the recoil lug you will need a nut wrench and head-space gauges so if you are trying to make improvements without spending to much money, changing out the recoil lug is an upgrade that is more ideal to do when you are upgrading the barrel.

Just my 2 cents

Just came from a local gun smith here in Connecticut and I was advised to not even bother with B&C, to just get a H&S because with the aluminum spine and lug reciever, it isnt necessary to bed it. Then they would cut the barrel and bring it in tighter. How many of you wouldnt bed an H&S precision stock? Think a stock and Vortex Viper is what I will only do till the barrel is smoked.

Forgot to mention. These gunsmiths hate Savage and are really biased, so the advise I always get is "well, I have this remy 700 with a Pac-nor barrel over here..." Excpet for the occasional flyer, im getting half in group. I dont need a $3000 rifle that shoots the same groups.

what tacticalj said. plus listen to what others said. i wouldnt spend a dime having anything done to the rifle until you eliminate the flyers. i reload on a space barely bigger than my laptop. its a library carel??(sp) carrol? anyway its a desk i mounted a press to and everything else is stowed. i could stow the press if i had to. my work area is 2x2 if that and i reload for my savage. i have the hs and skim bedded it. had the action trued and sold the factory barrel unfired to get a shilen ss match and good recoil lug. did it all myself, didnt pay a dime to a smith except the T&T @ SSS. you can reload easily in any space.

Get the trigger down to 2 lbs, skim bed the stock(recoil lug, and the action behind the lug for about 2"). Be sure you only very gently snug the screws down when you bed, and coat the metal and front screw well with wax, like Kiwi shoe polish, so you don't glue it in! Devcon steel from the hardware store will do a decent job. Tighten the screws after the epoxy sets. I built a Palma rifle from a Savage, and it took WAY less tweaking than the M700 I used for a F-Class rifle. I did grind the recoil lug flat, but I have the barrel vise and wrench to do the job. BTW, DON'T try 168 gr at 1000 yds, they go subsonic and are all over the paper. Been there, done that! Use 175 gr BT Match---Black Hills Remanufactured is a great bargain ammo.

+1 on the SSS trigger. I put one of these in my rifle and I really like it. I actually have an extra one I have never used. PM me if you are interested.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JWV</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, as a full time student myself, I was in your exact place 1 year ago. I had a bone stock savage FCP-K and wanted to mod it a bit. It was a .5 to .6 shooter. After a bunch of research, I found the most effiecient way of making it an all around better shooter was to add a choate tactical stock,SSS com trigger and skim bedded it myself. It now will hold .4 MOA with groups occasionally dipping below that. The ergonomics of the choate are much better than the factory stock and the SSS comp trigger is miles ahead of the accu-trigger. The cost for all of this was under 300 bucks. I wouldn't mess with the recoil lug because not only will you need to buy the lug, then you need to buy a nut wrench and have a vise , etc. Keep it simple for now until you are ready to rebarrel, then get the lug. Forget about blueprinting, there is no evidence that Savages benefit in the least from that process. </div></div>

If you can have ammunition at the apt, then you can reaload, assuming you're referring to some legal reason you can't.

If it's simply space then try an arbor press and a hand primer. I can put all my reloading gear in a rubbermade legal tote.

What to do to the Savage 10? Nothing, just go shoot. If you're not shooting sub MOA then it's most likely you and not the gun so long as you're using qulity ammo like federal gold

I have the accutrigger, and its set at 1.5 lbs. Its not a bad trigger, i like it more then my 700. For starting out reloading, what is the minimum equipment list if im operating with VERY little space?

Press, scale, measurer, dies & shell holder, primer seating tool, primer, powder, bullet. I would also suggest, at a later point, brass prep tools, such as flash hole deburring and neck chamferring tools. Depending if you're using new or used brass a tumbler & media or sonic cleaner, which would be my choice at this point. That's a start! Buy a kit or look on some of the forums and you can find some of the stuff used and save!

The thing I did to eliminate flyers was to screw on a Shilen match barrel. I have a Model 10 that I put a match barrel on and a MCM A5 pillar bedded stock. Not many flyers and I can usually call them. Absolute hammer. My other savage is a Model 10 308 with heavy barrel and muzzle brake. Factory barrel. This shoots good, but a lot more flyers than the other barrel. Along the order of 2 shots touching and one a little under a inch away. The flyer is not always the last shot in the group so it isn't nerves. You will notice a difference with a premium barrel. The 308 has a B&C tactical and I like it, but want to move to a Manners or another MCM. Probably whichever shows up in the classifieds first. You can find all the premium addons for good deals if you are patient.

After I married my very tolerant wife, 46 years ago, I had a Sears bench about 2 x 4 feet...that did everything in our apartment of about 850 square feet. Including loading for .45 ACP for Bullseye matches. And casting my own bullets. One tiny bedroom. One tiny bath. An extremely tiny kitchen. The living/dining/reloading room were one. Shot Master class from that. Including kissing our live in cat goodnight. It can be done. That bench served through 13 years of Navy active duty and through about 8 more years of servitude. Still have it, but a lot more space helps. JMHO