• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What Tools are in your bag?

SourMash

Private
Minuteman
Aug 18, 2012
GA
I'm fortunate in the fact that I have property to shoot from and that I don't have to go anywhere. The problem is that I don't know what tools to put in my bag IF it do decide to go and shoot a NRL22 match, since I will have to travel for it. Granted, I don't feel like I will have to work on anything at the range but I'm curious as to what tools you guys seem to think is necessary to have handy.

I have a set of metric and standard hex key wrenches, a Torx set, a leatherman, a single small crescent wrench, some gun oil and a breakdown coated cleaning rod. I also have spare battery’s for everything in the kit. I have yet to find anything I couldn’t take care of with that tool list. I have one set that stays in a Molle pouch on the my competition bag and I have another set that lives in my range box.

Depending on whether I'm shooting 2Gun, 3Gun, Carbine or any of the bolt rifle disciplines, I have a couple different "go bags" for the range. Each bag has one of these in it and there's never been anything I couldn't handle whether it was dealing with something I had going on or helping someone else get back up and running.

https://store.fixitsticks.com/collections/all-shooting/products/the-works-w-all-in-one-torque-driver

They have a few options for shooting related kits, so take a look and see what fits what you're looking for.

MB

Reactions: littlepod
That fixit it set looks pretty awesome. I haven't gotten myself to invest a lot of money on a nice compact set like that, but I carry basically -

Which contains all the metric and imperial hex wrenches and I've used quite a bit of them... as every stock seems to have different attachment screws.

I then use the Wheeler torque wrench

I also have

And I threw in the extra bits I needed for my setup in the torque wrench box as it doesn't include everything.

I guess I can probably stop carrying the hex wrench set and just carry the two wheeler sets and I'd be covered.

Screwdriver with required bits and basic cleaning supplies.
Any issues that require more tools I'll likely need spare parts that I won't have with me.

Thanks fellas! I've never had anything break at the range but murphy's law says that it will one day. Thanks for the insight

I just bring spare guns to 3 gun.

Everything else, just a cleaning rod (always in the truck) for a stuck piece of brass, and a set of Allen keys and torx bits with driver.

Only thing I've ever actually needed was lube. You can get that off the dipstick of the closest truck though.

Look at your rifle and scope. Have a bit set and driver with a bit for every screw/nut/bolt/fastener on the gun. A punch set. A "fat wrench" works well and doesn't take up too much space or break the bank for torque. Some sort of "gun oil." 3 piece cleaning rod. Your favorite cleaning accessories. A non-marring hammer.

Not specific to 22lr match, however, the bolt shroud on my RPR 6.5 creedmoor broke at a match and lodged such that I could neither close the bolt, nor fold the stock to remove the bolt. I had to remove the stock, then remove the receiver extension to remove the bolt shroud. Then I could rotate the cocking piece so that the bolt would close and I could fold the stock assembly to remove the bolt. As it happened I had just built out a tool kit, including an ar15 armorers' wrench and was able to get the gun going between stages. My kit contains all of the tools necessary to build an ar15, except a vice- and I've contemplated a receiver hitch vice to eliminate that deficiency.

Last edited:
Reactions: jeronimo