• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

what travel case do you use for your precision rifle?

trickyric

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 28, 2012
South Florida
After participating in the GAP Grind I am thinking I may start entering more events.
I was able to drive to K&M but a lot of the good competitions are going to require air travel.
Having said all that what cases do you guys use to protect your rifles on these journeys?

My case is an SKB that I "re-foamed". It was supposed to be a double rifle case but maybe if they were flat sided lever-guns.

I tossed the egg crate separator and purchsed some 3" foam from the Foam Factory. My custom 700 fits great along with cleaning rod, cleaning supplies, Sling, etc.

Perhaps a little big and heavy but there's plenty of padding inside to keep a multi-thousand dollar investment safe from the airport gorillas should I need to fly.

When I buy my next, it will be a Pelican.

That starlight is on sale and the thicker foam is also an option.
What do you guys think about the thicker foams like Kaizen or High Density Polyethylene Foam

Pelican and Plano. Pelican for sure if travel by Air. But if just riding in the back of my truck for a long ride, then either works. Here is my gear cased and ready for the Nightforce comp in Birmingham next weekend. Pelican for the bolt gun, Plano key locked hard case for my gas gun, Plano lockable trunk for the rest of my gear and ammo.

I recently purchased a pelican 1750 for travel. But I use to fly with an air glide Plano case. I traveled several times with no problems with it. The pelican was on sale and I said what the hell. Just buy it.

I've never done it, but I've heard of guys using rigid, locking golf cases to transport their rifle(s) by air. Lots and lots of room for padding, and less desirable to thieves (golf clubs vs. rifles).

Pelican 1750, and DO NOT put TSA approved locks on it.

Why no TSA locks?

The guidelines with most airlines are that you must be the only one who can open the case and the TSA locks are to allow anyone to open the case.

Meanwhile, I would recommend Pelican, all the way. They are known for more than just firearms protection. They also are THE "go to" case for camera equipment and such. If someone is willing to trust their $15,000 camera lens to the standard, it is fine for my measly $10,000 rifle.

I prefer the Pelican (owned) Storm cases. Their iM3300 is size-wise comparable to the 1750. See iM3300 Storm Case (Long Case)

I like the latches better - less likely to snag the piece that releases the latch. And no "pick-n-pluck" foam (if Pelican still uses that disaster of an approach to doing a cheap and dirty "custom fit").

I like the Storm series as well, rock solid build, large wheels, and the latches as someone else mentioned. Look around before you buy, some good buys from places like B&B camera can be had.

As most others, Pelican 1750.

Me too.
If you're going to make a long trip in a vehicle or take your stuff on a flight the Pelican is tougher than a hammered cat turd.
If you're gonna stay somewhere a few days take out the center foam section, put your gun in a bulky soft case like the Eagle case, and put it between the top and bottom foam pieces and sit on it if necessary to close it.
When you get where you're going you can leave the Pelican in the room and you'll have the soft case to carry the gun back and forth in the vehicle. When it comes time to go home just put it in the soft case, jam it back in the Pelican, and throw it in the vehicle or check it at the airport.

The guidelines with most airlines are that you must be the only one who can open the case and the TSA locks are to allow anyone to open the case.

Meanwhile, I would recommend Pelican, all the way. They are known for more than just firearms protection. They also are THE "go to" case for camera equipment and such. If someone is willing to trust their $15,000 camera lens to the standard, it is fine for my measly $10,000 rifle.

Can you give more details ?
I traveled to the Midwest last month.
I had a note in my check bag where they inspected it ,
It said if I had locks they could not open they would have tore case apart .

PSE EVO 60 Lbs.
Blacked out

SKB I series here... have a pelican for accessories as well but the SKB gets the job done just as well for more than a couple dollars less. I'm not knocking the pelican 1750, I just can't find any real discernable difference between the two other than SKB offers content coverage in cases of catastrophic failure.

Can you give more details ?
I traveled to the Midwest last month.
I had a note in my check bag where they inspected it ,
It said if I had locks they could not open they would have tore case apart .

Good question. Here is the link for Alaska Airlines :Transporting Firearms | Alaska Airlines

You will find where it states :"All firearms must be unloaded and carried in a locked, hard-sided container where only the customer retains the key or combination."

Meanwhile, at Southwest, similar story: Special Luggage | Southwest Airlines

Where it states "Firearms must be encased in a hard-sided, locked container that is of sufficient strength to withstand normal handling, as follows:
A firearm in a hard-sided, locked container may be placed inside a soft-sided, unlocked suitcase.
A firearm placed inside a hard-sided, locked suitcase does not have to be encased in a container manufactured for the transportation of firearms.
The locked container or suitcase must completely secure the firearm from access. Cases or suitcases that can be pulled open with minimal effort do not meet the locked criterion.

Only the Customer checking the luggage should retain the key or combination to the lock. No exceptions will be made.
"

So make sure that you check with your airline carrier first, but I suspect that they all follow the same guidelines per FAA regulations.

Regarding locks.....

I know that three years ago when I checked, this was how it went, "A locked container is defined as one that completely secures the firearm from access by anyone other than you ."

Now I see it has changed to, "A locked container is defined as one that completely secures the firearm from being accessed."
Firearms and Ammunition | Transportation Security Administration

So, as of now, you may use a TSA lock, or not. I would NOT. Carry a spare set of locks in your carry on in case the twerps decide to cut your locks off should your case trigger an alarm (read the TSA web page).

Here's a good read:
What Type Of Gun Case Do You Need To Fly With A Firearm | Explore Products Outdoor Gear At Discount Prices

Fw707, what soft case do you use. I find that the soft case outside dimensions are larger than the hard case inner dimensions. I've tried this on my 42 in hard cases.

get the smallest Pelican that will work for the longest gun you have. go big and it will not fit in any med/small car or truck. my 1720 will not even fit behind the seat of my chevy 2500 reg. cab (3 person one) with out taking my jack out.

ps the airlines usually only x-ray the case, they have a "don't open it with out you" kind of deal, so no tsa locks

Last edited:
Pelican 1750 for my APA hunting stick. Storm for my AE Folder. No issues yet. Travelled with em 9-10 times

Pelican 1750. Heavy, bulky, tough.

As mentioned above, going convertible with soft case inside hard case work for some applications. Also mentioned above, get the smallest one that will work for you as you can encounter space issues. I have an old Doscocil case that I use regularly for general protection. It's smaller and much light than the 1750.

Keith

The best way to handle the air transport issue is to take your case to the TSA office in the terminal, which is usually in the ticketing area, and pre-check the case. A TSA officer will inspect it with you present, you put your locks on, and the agent puts a tag/sticker on that says it has been pre-checked. This precludes the possibility that your locks will be cut off for a later inspection. I do this regularly with expensive, sensitive gear for work to ensure it isn't pilfered after it leaves my control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guys, most bigger airports don't need to open your case anymore, they X-ray it to make sure a round is not in the chamber and the ammo is stored properly ( not loose). It is MUCH faster for them than opening the case.

I have Pelican and Boyt. I like some things better about each one, but both are excellent. When I travel with guns (Alaska Airlines), they send me over to TSA so they can inspect them and then I put the locks on that only I have the key for. They don't need to get in them after they inspect them in front of you.

For those that want to go small, I just put together a Pelican 1720 with Tac Ops small drag bag for an 14 AI AX short action folding stock with 24"barrel. The shooting mat has to be removed, but it makes for a pretty manageable package.

STORM, they named it that for an obvious reason.

Sold all my standard Pelicans for the STORM, more rugged and the Latch will not allow the hinge pins to run out like the occasional Pelican