• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What twist for 243 Ackley

Alabama556

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 15, 2008
    Birmingham, AL
    What do you think the best twist would be for a 243 ackley shooting 90-100 grain bullets? Primarily Nosler accubond’s or swift scirocco’s.

thanks

1:9 would be okay for those bullets,but I would go a touch faster just in case you choose some 100+ grain match bullets. Go for 1:8.

mine is 1:10 and I don't run anything heavier than 87 grain VMAX's. Rebarreling this winter with a 1:7.5 to shoot 110 Sierras.

I just had a 243 built and did a 8 twist to shoot the heavier bullets down to the 90-87 grain range. I would not do any other twist than that except a 7.5 for those range of bullet weights. I had a old box of 58 grain Winchester and was really surprised at how well it grouped them.

1:9 would be okay for those bullets,but I would go a touch faster just in case you choose some 100+ grain match bullets. Go for 1:8.

mine is 1:10 and I don't run anything heavier than 87 grain VMAX's. Rebarreling this winter with a 1:7.5 to shoot 110 Sierras.

Just a "FWIW" and "It's worth exactly what you've paid for it" but an acquaintance has a 7.5 and can't shoot the 110's. The holes in the target at 200 aren't round. I'd go (and am going) 1:7 for that bullet.

As to the OP, an 8 should do well depending on where you are.