• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

What type of case/bag are you using

Bigtee-02

Private
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2018
Grayson, KY
Just getting into long range shooting, I have a Tikka CTR, in 260, Bergar HMR in 308 and just purchased a Bergara BMP in 6.5 CM. I have to transport my rifles in a SXS and am wondering what you all are caring them in. I have about a mile ride to get to the farm where I shoot and it’s rough in spots.

Give plaino a look. Bought there hard case with cut out foam to match the rifle outline. You can lock it for transporting. Forget what length case i bought but fits my bolt 260 with 28"barrel. Best part its cheeper than pelican and just as good. Looking to buy another. 20180416_082740.png

Last edited:
I use soft cases for everything as none of my gear is supposed to be that banged up in a truck ride.

But if going hard case, 100% Pelican, and pony up for the custom foam. I know a guy with a store who is running a group buy deal on Pelican now, will be closed in a week, so — if allowed for me to say that here — ping me for the info on it.

Reactions: SonicBurlap
Academy Sports has a Plano WB that is a really solid case for about $110. The Pelican was right beside it, and it was in no way $125 better than the Plano.

I use soft cases for most of my rifles. But on my long range bolt action 260 that I spent a arm and a leg on . The plaino hard case was a no brainer and it don't break the bank for the quality.

If anyone is interested in pistol hard cases came across this MTM case for very short money. It locks , fits 4 pistol plus mags, firearms fit snug, 20180416_081137.png

Army surplus shit. Doesn't have to be American.

I bought a couple of drag bags from Midway when they had them on sale a couple of weeks ago. Pretty darned good bag for the $$$$

Thanks for the info, I'll check out the Plano's since it looks like I'm going to have to purchase 2 or 3 of them. The drag bags be a good idea also.

Thanks for the info, I'll check out the Plano's since it looks like I'm going to have to purchase 2 or 3 of them. The drag bags be a good idea also.
Your welcome. There are different ones available. I have posted a pic of the one I purchased. See previous post

For going to the range: VISM 46" Drag Bag with plenty of pockets for cleaning equipment and other range gear.
For flying Pelican hard case, middle foam layer custom cut out with an electric knife for rifle, sling, mags, bolt, etc. ... (mag well pointing upward so TSA doesn't even need to handle anything, open lock - one look - close case - close lock - Done!)

Pelican is the gold standard. If there's potential for submersion, I wouldn't trust anything else. If you're just looking for bump protection, anything hard with foam will do.

Reactions: SonicBurlap
Give plaino a look. Bought there hard case with cut out foam to match the rifle outline. You can lock it for transporting. Forget what length case i bought but fits my bolt 260 with 28"barrel. Best part its cheeper than pelican and just as good. Looking to buy another.View attachment 6894681
I use this case. I hate it. It’s way too heavy.

Pelican is the gold standard. If there's potential for submersion, I wouldn't trust anything else. If you're just looking for bump protection, anything hard with foam will do.
If you have access to ExpertVoice, pelican cases can be had for slamming deals.

Thanks for the hint FingerBlaster! I was not familiar with Nanuk cases but after checking out the reviews and seeing they use stainless steel hardware and come with the TSA locks already I'll have to look for them and check them out next time I'm out range shopping. On some of my Pelican cases the locks have been a pain to close.

Thanks for the hint FingerBlaster! I was not familiar with Nanuk cases but after checking out the reviews and seeing they use stainless steel hardware and come with the TSA locks already I'll have to look for them and check them out next time I'm out range shopping. On some of my Pelican cases the locks have been a pain to close.

DO NOT put TSA locks on your firearm case, ever.

Thanks for the advice. Haven't had to check any flying yet, but will when I'll visit friends in Alaska. Didn't like the idea of TSA checking the case without me anyway. So far when traveling by plane my weapons were in one of Uncle Sam's Conex units. Does put a damper on the Nanuk cases though as their locks per advertisement come with TSA keys.

TDoes put a damper on the Nanuk cases though as their locks per advertisement come with TSA keys.

You can not use tsa locks when flying with a gun per federal regulations. There are reinforced eyelet holes for padlocks on the nanuk, just like what you would use with a pelican case.

Its pricy but I LOVE my GAP drag bag, for the money the Armegeddon Gear precision rifle case is perfect, and the Patriot hard case is nice for my hard sided needs

Eberlestock drag bag for local

The Eberlestock packed in a Nanuk 995 when flying or extra protection is needed

Seems pelican is the standard. Will have to give it a look on my next build. Thanks for tgge input

Eberlestock pack for local with single gun and a condor double bag when I need more. For air travel been using a Kalispel heavy .080" aluminum case for 20+ years that has seen enourmous abuse. Built like a tank. Built and welded by Americans.

You can not use tsa locks when flying with a gun per federal regulations. There are reinforced eyelet holes for padlocks on the nanuk, just like what you would use with a pelican case.
Amazon description of the Nanuk Rifle Case: "...Four Powerclaw (patented) triple action latches. Two equipped with TSA compliant key locks | Latches molded in super-tough Nylon to keep the case securely closed " Maybe the Nanuk guys aren't quite aware of the fact. I got the hint after OzzyO20 informed me.

This is the VISM drag bag I use for range time. Space for two scoped rifles with padding in between and plenty of space for cleaning equipment, tools, eye and hearing protection, gloves, notebook, sling, a.s.o. ...

Attachments

• SN Removed for Privacy.jpg
    SN Removed for Privacy.jpg
    392.3 KB · Views: 157
Op is months old but...
I bought a 1750 pelican a while ago real nice of course.
But the Hardig storm case I think is just as nice, couple extra latched too on the ends.
Also I had a rifle shipped to me in nothing but a cabelas case no cardboard around it or anything.
That's also really nice, the plastic looks the same as pelican.
Looking online u see they are half the price.
Eagle industries drag bags are great very heavy duty but bring money$$
The voodoo tactical ones are probably good enough.

For local range trips like you mentioned I have a few Triad drag bags hanging next to the door to throw rifles in. For hard cases I use Pelican. I couldn't be happier.

Everything I own other than a cheap shotgun is in Pelican. No matter how hard I look, I can't find anything that even comes close, and with the wheels, weight is a non-issue . . .

I bought a gen 4 42" and it is very nice and evidently is a good fit in a Pelican 1720.

If 42" is enough, that's a good way to go.

Beside that, Pelican is good stuff, SKB also. I have one Cheytac branded Starlite case which is nice but longer than I need and the company seems to be defunct.

I got an Allen brand 42" soft case which is light weight and probably good enough for a car ride to the range and doesn't scream rifle case as much as my Cryptec camo SERT.

I have a couple old USGI parachute jump cases, those are tough as hell and not much more expensive than an average cheapo zippered case.

I have an Eagle case/shooting mat which might be convenient but I'm not sure I'll use it that way. Beside that, it's very nice, I just think a shooting mat with GSR and gun oil on it will wind up staining my clothes, get dusty and transfer that to my gun and not be that much more convenient than separate case and mat.

was just thinking about this yesterday. anyone have a recommendation for a single rifle soft case that would fit inside of the pelican 1750?

i dont have the need for hard case protection every day but would be nice to just drop the soft case into the hard case for trips, much easier to swap rifles around than having cut foam for each of my rifles.

I think SERT makes one but it will be $200+ because it won't be previous generation on sale.

Larue makes one I think but even more $$$.

I'm sure there are others.

DO NOT put TSA locks on your firearm case, ever.
This has been beat to death. Gun is no different than any other luggage to TSA. install TSA locks and be done. Install non-TSA locks and they will cut them off to get inside. TSA does not care if your luggage is unsecured after inspection.

Pelican all the way. But, I dont care about scratches either. So, from time to time, they will all eat dirt or take a rough ride. If it breaks, I dont want it. Plus, scratches add horsepower, or something like that.