• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What would be the best length barrel for creedmoor hunting rifle build

Fly

Private
Minuteman
Jul 14, 2018
Almost done with my 6.5 grendel build so next up is the 6.5 Creedmoor and I am building it for hunting in open clearcuts and mule deer country so I am wondering what barrel to put on it, a 20, 22 or 24........ I am going with the full length stock to help Balance it out, I really like the RR A-2 operator fixed long stock because I think it will help balance the gun out and its light wieght. Also should I go with a pencil barrel to help keep it lighter or stick with the heavier barrel ................... all help is much appreciated.

Thanks Fly

20" light profile barrel.
Shorter = stiffer, but you're not shooting long strings with it anyway so there's no big advantage to going with a heavy profile.

If suppressed 20 is nice. If you want better velocity for longer shots I think 22 is a good length. The difference in weight for the 2 inches of barrel is usually only 2 or 3 ounces on a light profile barrel. To short of a barrel may prevent you from taking advantage of high bc heavy bullets if you can't get enough velocity. Especially with wind.

I say 20" Insignificant loss in velocity from 22" and plenty to kill at 400 yards and a little beyond.

Shorty build = 16.5 - 18.5" ; compact and useful with suppressor
Standard build = 20 - 24" ; best length for the round
Susceptible to penis envy = 26+ inches ; if you have to be that guy with the biggest everything ?

Last edited:
Here's another thought. Try it 22" for a season. You can always lop off another 2".

If the 22" works ok for your hunting style, that leaves 2" of barrel to rechamber if needed. Anyone still doing that? In my old hunting days, it was common practice to shoot out the throat and rechamber to regain some life in the barrel.

I have read on the hide length vs velocity and it's pretty much 25fps per inch loss.
A recent 6.5 thread was on that topic.
The op used a crony and was nearly exact.

I am having a light weight hunting rifle built by LRI in 6.5 CM. My thought was 22" but they suggested 20". Great to 400 yards and you have to question the ethics of shooting animals with 6.5CM much past that. Not that it can't be done, but who wants cripples.