• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What would you do? Scope level issue

trauma1

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 23, 2012
This is the average Rem 700 SA receiver with a 20MOA base. Wheeler receiver level says we are off. Base level says we are on.
Which one do I level the reticle to????

Attachments

• F3A56F94-4776-4A43-A397-621698473BA0.jpeg
    F3A56F94-4776-4A43-A397-621698473BA0.jpeg
    364.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 0DD9304E-CD0E-4604-B092-E2DCB8FE709E.jpeg
    0DD9304E-CD0E-4604-B092-E2DCB8FE709E.jpeg
    342.7 KB · Views: 37
Just to make it more confusing, I moved the wheeler level to the back and it is level.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    401 KB · Views: 33
It looks like your wheeler level isn’t sitting right in the receiver.

That wheeler level is somewhere under my bench in the basement. I dropped it one day and it’s so worthless I didn’t bother picking it up. That was about three years ago.
I’ve come to the point, that I level the rifle, get behind it, make sure it feels right, then try to dissect the rear of the bolt with the crosshairs as close as I can, then confirm/tweak at the range, dialing up to check vertical travel, then set a anticant device.

Reactions: trauma1
The reticle needs to be plumb to the world when taking the shot. Other than that, every thing is optional. I used to work to get the reticle, the scope (according to uncapped turrets), the bubble, the rail, and gun all level. Now I just make sure that the reticle matches the bubble. The rest can be done, but doesn't have to be. At least that is where I have my head now. I'd love to hear if I'm wrong.

Reactions: trauma1
I level off the rail. You might also want to consider doing a search here for "feeler gauge scope level" for an alternative leveling process.