• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What would you have done?

Re: What would you have done?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HillbillyfromAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bucksquirelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I'm not some hippy tree hugger either, just a realist,sportsman and environmentalist.

</div></div>
For your future reference a tree hugger is also known as an enviromentalist. Now please go play with people that are like you, that means somewhere other than here FUCKTARD. </div></div>

The ignorance implied in your screen name really shines through in that statement. I spend over 190 days hunting or fishing outdoors every year(yes I've kept track) and because I claim to be an environmentalist I can't be a sportsmen as well? or like guns? or like shooting? You sir are the "fucktard"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bucksquirelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dlc356</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Maser, really??? "Why wasn't the dog on a leash?". How about, "Why was the fucking deer in the front yard?". </div></div>

Are you serious? Do you honestly believe that the deer had no right to be there? Also do you really think people should just let their dogs run free through a neighborhood? Its interesting you pose the question of the doe attacking a kid, how many kids do you think have been mauled by unleashed dogs compared to how many have been trampled by a deer? Ive done my fair share of bike riding and have had a slew of dogs chase me down looking to have a taste. I have been bitten twice, after the first bite I started carrying pepper spray in addition to my pistol. I never even thought about actually using my pistol on a dog until the second time I was bit because the pepper spray failed to work in deterring the dog, that dog didn't live. I have ceased carrying the pepper spray.

Don't get me wrong, I love dogs and I have had a couple over the years. I really wish I could own one where I currently live but alas I can not. I'm not some hippy tree hugger either, just a realist,sportsman and environmentalist.
</div></div>

I NEVER said let your dog run free without a leash. I also understand when development, building, or whatever you want to call it encroaches on the deer's natural habitat but was not aware there was a 'Deer Bill of Rights'. In this case as far as I'm concerned it comes down to the fact the dog is a pet and the deer isn't.

Well, since none of us were actually there, and dont no the circumstances as to why the dog was off leash, or if it actually messed with the dear, etc, etc, etc.

The end state is this, neither the dog nor the dear have the cognitive complexity to understand zoning laws, their "bill of rights", land development, leash laws, trespassing laws, etc. No one knows who the owner of the dog was, or where it lived, or....anything for that matter.

That being said, if it was your dog...

You could save your dog and enjoy some venison later together, or you could be like some other folk on here, and take the pussie route and watch your dog get beaten to death.

...this all seems like a no-brainer.

My macho response is to say that I would have shot the deer.
But, something similar happened to me:

My dogs ran off into the woods behind my house as we were packing up to go camping in the GA mountains 4th July.
(My property, no leash required)

I heard the dogs yelping and screaming Bloody Mary! I ran down to see what kind of trouble they got themselves into and here they came runnin' like hell with a pissed-off doe in hot persuit.

I guess she and a fawn/yearling had bedded down out back in the woods and the dogs hit on them.

Dogs tore past me and she ran up to me to within less than a meter and stopped. There I was G-20 in hand with 220gr of hell about to launch at her head when my wife started screeching like an Irish Banshee. "Don't You DARE kill that deer!"

For bragging rights alone I should have dropped her (the deer not the wife
hysterical2.gif
).
Shot and killed a deer with a 10mm pistol... Shit!
That would have been a story to tell at the bar.

Well, I didn't shoot it and I'm still married but I would have done what needed to be done to protect my dogs.

Oh, and as for cats. She won't let me shoot them any more either.
Use to be fun as hell with .223 V-max 40gr @ a time.
I have to trap them now. (When she's home anyway)

DSC01887.jpg

Before I chose my target, I'd like to believe I'd have enough foresight to first ask myself whether I'd rather be eating venison or dog tonight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...If you had a domesticated Leopard, you'd keep that sucker on a leash, even if you'd raised him from a kitten and 'knew' he was 'harmless'. </div></div>
If this guy had a pet leopard that deer wouldn't have been a problem.

Hmmmm, maybe I need to get a leopard for deer hunting. Texas game laws address hunting deer with dogs but not with leopards. Now I've got a project!

Taken the dog through obedience classes so that it comes back when called, rather than running for whatever it feels like. The deer could easily have been a car, and the dog would have been a hood ornament. I also love how the videographer does nothing but film the deer attacking the dog. Yet, when the vicious deer goes to paw at her defenseless cat (that swiped at the deer's nose), she clearly takes off to try and scare the deer. I would jump in the car and drive down the street to distract the deer. They can't resist trying to outrun vehicles, and it would have totally forgotten about the dog and hauled ass across the street in front of a car.

I've kicked the shit out of a dog that came for me once (I tried to unscrew it's head at that point), a small doe like that would get the same treatment from me. Get in close, tackle, and keep 'er on the ground and unscrew her head. I may not be the size of some UFC fighter, but you don't fuck with my dog (when I had one), daughters or my wife. Either of the latter will get you a one way ticket to the morgue.

You may think that i'm being a 'tough guy'. Don't care, if you wouldn't do the same, man up and quit being a pussy. Read my sig, and you'll know how I solve situations.

Branden