• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Whatever Happened to Quality?

in theory i agree but most of the European and Japanese vehicles that are sold in the US are built in the US by American workers

and in reality if anyone thinks that running a 30 year old fridge is a smart idea they are confused.

the efficiency of a new fridge compared to running the older power hungry fridge pays for itself
Well in 10 years or less when your fridge shopping again ….I’ll be looking at that old fridge thats still running…..haven't done the math yet but probably not the savings you think….and we won’t even talk about that 1967 John Deere 4020 that still runs like a champ or the 50s square baler that still chugging along. Just saying….

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
Well in 10 years or less when your fridge shopping again ….I’ll be looking at that old fridge thats still running…..haven't done the math yet but probably not the savings you think….and we won’t even talk about that 1967 John Deere 4020 that still runs like a champ or the 50s square baler that still chugging along. Just saying….
I have done the math lol, just like the companies have…they are smarter than all of us put together.

In the last 15 years or so energy savings (depending on electric prices) a homeowner saves about 150$ a year comparing a new to old fridge.

depending on purchase price of fridge a new fridge in 2005 paid for itself just by energy savings.

if you still have a fridge from 2000 …you wasted about 75$ this year alone. And prob about 5-600$ so far.

no one is debating the usefulness of older quality equipment but don’t confuse dependable (which isn’t as dependable as one thinks) and less efficient/ less productive production rate.

If someone said a new tractor costs 100,000$ but that tractor on your land can produce 150,000$ more profit either by quicker production or less downtime (a though the parts might be more expensive)…do you take the deal

of course you do…if not we would still have a blacksmith in every town.

additionally finding employees to work on older equipment are getting harder to find, like finding a accountant that still uses green paper and pencil. If the current workforce is trained on neequipment and you are hiring “new” people…you need to have equipment they understand.

Again people have to think bigger picture, how much does it cost to get a new employee to understand older vintage equipment…that training has a cost.

even if the new equipment has the exact same failure and production rate as the old vintage equipment when it’s all added up, “I’m” making more money because I’m not wasting money with extra training per mechsnic.

Or wasting purchasings time sourcing a 20 year older part that’s not being manufactured anymore…that time costs money too.

Hey the Pacer was a chick magnet....

1632746410184.png

Man that's a serious trunk

Reactions: MarshallDodge
Oct 4 (Reuters) - A recently recalled batch of Glucagon Emergency Kits, Eli Lilly and Co’s (LLY.N) therapy for diabetic patients in crisis, was manufactured at an Indiana factory cited by U.S. health regulators this year for quality-control violations, including several involving that product, according to the company and a Reuters review of federal inspection records.

until you actually read the report card called a 483 you really cannot tell how serious the infractions were

something like the temperature monitoring could be as small as a recording device running out of batteries or as serious as the storage area being 100 degrees when it suposed to be 75 degrees

you can get the real info because of the freedom of information act later on

until you actually read the report card called a 483 you really cannot tell how serious the infractions were

something like the temperature monitoring could be as small as a recording device running out of batteries or as serious as the storage area being 100 degrees when it suposed to be 75 degrees

you can get the real info because of the freedom of information act later on
I get your point... I'm on prescription meds that keep me alive... Perhaps I have a different perspective than other's. Generic meds are only 80% of what brand names are... Most people don't read where their meds were manufactured. Many would be upset to know they came from Dr. Reddy's Laboratories is an Indian multinational pharmaceutical company located in Hyderabad, Telangana, India.... I have had the exact prescription from Reddy that I had from some of the Canadian labs. I can tell the difference, in a few days, as to how I feel... An infraction gets my attention.

Yep, I try to hold myself to a higher standard, just for my own personal satisfaction. But I now work for Koreans, they are pretty strict with production quality, but they don't give 2 shits about personnel, it's a constant struggle. I don't work production, but I see the same crap attitudes in maintenance.
Back when I built swimming pools, I ended up with 1 helper, living the philosophy "if you want it done right..." I wasn't fast, but sought after, several repeat customers. My son still does it, just as good, hell of a man!
If you ever listen to Mike Rowe or Jordan Peterson it's no mystery what's happening to society.
My words of advice "mentors: seek them out, and become one"

Headlines read "Where have all the worker's gone"?

Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged) visualized a place named "Galt's Gulch" a place where the mover's and shaker's of that time relocated to. Long story.

Many of the missing workers of today have gone mentally to Galt's Gulch. . . . Disillusioned, burned out and frustrated they withdrew as an act of survival.

Concerning

Headlines read "Where have all the worker's gone"?

Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged) visualized a place named "Galt's Gulch" a place where the mover's and shaker's of that time relocated to. Long story.

Many of the missing workers of today have gone mentally to Galt's Gulch. . . . Disillusioned, burned out and frustrated they withdrew as an act of survival.

Concerning
I never really looked at it this way. An interesting perspective that I’ll think on today.

Maybe instead of just being mooching bums, the people not working are actually realizing that they are selling 40+ hours a week of their lives. Maybe they are now placing a higher value on their time?

Oh well, kiosks and robots will replace them.

people are actually realizing that they are selling 40+ hours a week of their lives. Maybe they are now placing a higher value on their time?

My company doesnt understand why people avoid them when they are trying to force people to work on their days off for double pay. And doing it is VERY lucrative(hundreds of dollars per hour lucrative). I made 54 hours of pay(half a normal month) in 3 days work a few weeks ago, but back in July I gave the double time work days to somebody else and Saturday they didnt comply with the contract on how they were trying to notify me. NOW I could have still done it, but I didnt want to as I had already worked 4 extra days last month and was looking forward to my 4 days off in a row.

Now the gas shortage crap of the 70's is a different story. Along with the 80's American stuff that was pumped out to compete against the Japanese.
Anyone remember the Chrysler bailout of the 80's? Govt Reliant K cars were the bomb!
In fairness, Chrysler took a loan and paid it back in a very short period of time. The K models were actually a hit and sold well at their price point despite their spotty quality.

Just to clarify - When I use the term "movers and shakers".... I'm talking of the folks in their 40's - 50's with street smarts / business smart's that could start their own businesses, manage a company with 400 employees, lead an army into battle, home school their children, etc....

Not talking about the kid fresh out of high school with no real world experiences...

the efficiency of a new fridge compared to running the older power hungry fridge pays for itself
Lol I’ve had 2 of those shit boxes break and one that was repaired broke again. While the 30-40+ year old ones keep going.

Those overworked compressors sure cost a lot of money in time clean up and spoiled meat

think of the time "Sealed Bearings" came on the scene. A bearing with a grease fitting lasted a lot longer if it was greased frequently.. Thinking of farm equipment. A grease gun rode on the old tractors. Now the failure of a sealed bearing will take out other components.. How many people do not own a grease gun ?
Ahhh no fuck that.

Sealed bearings are great. They last a long long time when properly engineered. Look at u joints on pickups 20 years 100s of thousands of miles in dirt salt dust rain and still running.

Older equipment has a pile of ten hour fittings. New stuff has 0 and only a few 50 100 300 hour fittings. Nothing has been destroyed after lots of use.

Reactions: OlsenG_360
Quality is not dead. It will always be there. It's like temperature...sometimes it hot, sometimes it cold, but if we're lucky it averages lukewarm.

Reactions: Ks_Coyote
I guess I'm a "Sigma" male, March to the beat of my own drum, the only opinion of me I care about is mine. Have CDO (OCD w/ the letters alphabetical, like they should be) I'm my own worst critic and firmly believe a job worth doing is worth doing right, the 1st time. Not trying to impress anyone, just saticfy my need for perfection. And many time give the credit away.
As to working hours, 12hr night shifts, 14 days a month is plenty for me. Boss has started making me work every Sat/Sun (start-up) adding 4 extra days a month (all overtime) 3 months was too much, my time was worth more to me than the $$, I started taking 2 extra days off during the week (Mon-Thur off every other week is pretty cool)
This was pretty interesting;

27hr workweek... I want your job.

I work on average 3 days a week. I typically do that 4 times a month. I show up at 5am on day 1 and dont get to go home until usually 5 or 6pm on day 3. So I am "at work" on average about 55 hours. I only get paid about 24-26 hours while I am "at work" though... My hourly rate compensates for all the unpaid hours at work/gone from home. So my 55 hours "at work" beats out most 40 hour work week jobs.