• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What's a good consistent scale for measuring powder?

I think that code is less a "sale price" and more "We can't show this below MAP."

CE products is good to go - I got my scale from them super quick. Just bit the bullet on whole system though - I think everyone with an fx eventually moves to at least the autotrickler.

I was just surprised that an online code was valid for such a long time. Looks like a slight price creep though 465+35 = 500 to the door.

Ok, something that drives me crazy is the inconsistency of my powder scale. I have the cheapo one that comes with the Hornady reloading kit. However the scale always shifts 0.1 grains and goes up to 0.5 grains off at times. My velocity is all over the place since I can't get a consistent charge weight, up to 30 fps spread.

What do you recommend $200 and lower? I don't have to have an automatic dispenser, just want a very accurate consistent scale.

Thanks in advance.
Jake, in the line of digital reloading scales there are are two common types. Type 1 is called a load cell. Type 2 is called "magnetic force restoration". I currently own 3 load cell scales (a really cheap Dillon and two good Denver Instrument scales) and one MFR scale (a Sartorius). In my experience, the load cell scales drift and the MFR scales do not. I suggest that you purchase an MFR-type scale. The A&D FX120-I scale is an MFR type.

When you throw a charge, you get a number. Take that charge off the scale and put it back, you will get the same number. Take that charge off the scale, turn off the scale, come back the next day and turn it on, let the scale stabilize, put that charge back on the scale and you will get the same number. Two of the three load-cell scales I have won't give the same number twice in a row. The third one is rock solid but it only reads to 0.1 grain. In order for me to get good groups at long range, I need more precision than 0.1 grain resolution.

My Sartorius is good to 0.02 grain or 1 milligram. I'm satisfied with that because the powders I use all weigh 0.02 grains (weight) or more per physical grain of powder. For 308 shooting IMR 4064, I accept charges that are either 41.50, 41.52, or 41.54. Anything else goes back in the hopper and I try again. That does not happen often. Given how and what I shoot, better powder charge precision won't help my targets.

I use Adam MacDonald's version 2 auto-trickler and auto-thrower. Some time back, I was having a trouble getting the auto-thrower to cycle and throw powder - it would get half way there, make a grinding noise, and throw a short charge. Instead of solving the problem, I put the thrower aside, set up my old Culver thrower, pitched a charge around 39 grains into the pan, set the pan on the scale and let the auto-trickler finish. It was fast and painless and I got the accuracy I needed. After a while, I decided to figure out the auto-thrower issue. I solved it and it is 100% reliable and faster than hand-throwing. If you can't afford both the trickler and thrower, buy the trickler alone and do what I did. The combination is sweet but the trickler alone is a real treat compared to the other choices I have tried.

Reactions: Protondecay123