• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

What's a good gun powder to start with for precision 6.5 creedmore?

Venomgland

Banhammer
Banned !
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2019
It's my first time reloading and there is a gun show in my city this weekend. I'm hoping to find what ever powder everyone suggests. I'm reloading for Ruger precision rifle if that matters.

H4350 is a well known as the benchmark powder for 6.5 CM and 260.
I’ve had good success with IMR 4451 as well.

H4350 is my go to for 260, 6.5 Creed and 6creed for that matter. Living in TN the weather can be 80 one day and 30 the next reloader 16 way to damn temp sensitive for me, but in a vacuum I get hellacious results out of it.

H4350 for bullets 120gr and up and Varget works very well with bullets up to 130gr. Currently, my best load is Varget behind 130gr AR Hybrids.

John

Just wondering, but what bullets and weights of bullets are you looking to use?

H4350 and Reloder 26 work for me with 143 Hornady ELD-X, and H4350 REALLY shines with a 130 Berger Hybrid OTM. Being that your just getting started, I would stay away from the Reloder 26 as there is little to no published data for it for 6.5 Creed from manufacturers.... at least that I’ve seen. Stick with H4350, IMR 4350, and Reloder 16, and 17 and you should find something that works really well for you.

I finally got into reloading for my 6.5CM. I went with the H4350 based on recommendations and haven't regretted it one bit. Kinda hard to find locally sometimes. Seems to show up in spurts. It is working well with the Hornady EDL-M 147s. Lots of data out there for the 6.5 CM and H4350.

Last edited:
Just wondering, but what bullets and weights of bullets are you looking to use?

H4350 and Reloder 26 work for me with 143 Hornady ELD-X, and H4350 REALLY shines with a 130 Berger Hybrid OTM. Being that your just getting started, I would stay away from the Reloder 26 as there is little to no published data for it for 6.5 Creed from manufacturers.... at least that I’ve seen. Stick with H4350, IMR 4350, and Reloder 16, and 17 and you should find something that works really well for you.
Honestly I have no idea. I haven't looked into it yet. Bullets are 2nd on my list for the gun show. I was going to look for something Hornady and probably what ever my Hornady Match bullets are. I'm at work so I don't know off hand.

140 berger hybrids are the easy button, can be swapped out with 140 eld-m's although I havent had much luck with the hornady 140s. If you suspect you will have issues getting a bullet seated (ie long damn factory throat) then the 130 OTM berger is really nice.

Reactions: Venomgland
Honestly I have no idea. I haven't looked into it yet. Bullets are 2nd on my list for the gun show. I was going to look for something Hornady and probably what ever my Hornady Match bullets are. I'm at work so I don't know off hand.

Werd. Some folks like to go heavy with bullets for higher bc’s and more energy on target, others like the lighter bullets for speed. Neither is wrong, it’s up to you. I’ll usually start with bullet selection based on what I’m doing with the round (hunting, paper punching...), then I look at powder and everything else.

I’ve had good luck with Hornady 143 ELDX (1/2”-3/4” 5 shot groups at 100yds.)It’s a good hunting bullet, but can be used for other things as well.

I recently switched to the 130 Berger Hybrid that @Sutherlandsd was talking about, and my groups shrank to ~.300” on a factory Howa barrel.

I don’t think you can wrong with any of the Hornady ELDs or any of the Berger Hybrids.... your results will likely be better with the Berger’s though.

reloader 16 way to damn temp sensitive for me, but in a vacuum I get hellacious results out of it.

That's weird. In all my testing, RL16 was more stable to temp variances than H4350. RL17, on the other hand, would send a 140 at 2950 without pressure signs, but it was insanely sensitive to temperature variances, to the point I wouldn't chamber the next round of it had to sit in a hot chamber for more than a few seconds

H4350 is my go to for 260, 6.5 Creed and 6creed for that matter. Living in TN the weather can be 80 one day and 30 the next reloader 16 way to damn temp sensitive for me, but in a vacuum I get hellacious results out of it.

I thought RL16 has actually tested less temp sensitive than H4350.
I know RL17 works well but is definitely temp sensitive.

I thought RL16 has actually tested less temp sensitive than H4350.
I know RL17 works well but is definitely temp sensitive.
Just going by my personal observations rl16 fluctuates for me more than h4350. I live in the mountains so temp swings are pretty drastic at times. I will agree can get higher velocity with rl16 over h4350. Ymmv.