• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What's a good starter precision 22?

kentuckyMarksman

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 7, 2018
Longest range I have access to is a touch over 300 yards. I love taking my 308 out and shooting at that distance, but ammo can be expensive. I thought a 22lr might be fun, and a little more challenging too. I don't have much experience with 22s, I own a Marlin 60 (iron sights) and I have a Ruger 10/22 receiver in the safe. Just wondering if it would be better to build up a 10/22 using Kidd / Volquartsen parts, or to buy a CZ 455 or 457 (when available)?

I love the look of the CZ 455 American, but I know the Precision Trainer with Manners stock would be a more accurate rifle.

Reactions: Seymour Fish
Tons of info here. Depends on your budget . You can go the CZ, Savage, Anchultz, or all the way to a Voodo.
Just set realistic expectations, and practice,practice practice.
( CAUTION! Extended range rimfire is very addicting! )

Reactions: kentuckyMarksman
You'll get more capability with a bolt gun if you think that you want to actually go down the 22 precision road. If you just want to have fun shooting an accurized 10/22 is all of that although you'll be saying "What the hell was that" a few rounds per 10rnd mag.

If you just want to have fun shooting an accurized 10/22 is all of that although you'll be saying "What the hell was that" a few rounds per 10rnd mag.

That sounds frustrating. Looks like a bolt gun is the way to go. Thanks!

Tikka T1X is another good bolt action option. Some have fitted theirs into different T3/T3X stocks. Might need slight adjustments, or not.

If you get a good starter platform to start with (Tikka, CZ, Anschutz, Vudoo, etc...), you will have lots of options to tweak and upgrade as your passion grows.

If you cheap out initially on the gun, your options will be limited.

Pay once, cry once.

If you get a good starter platform to start with (Tikka, CZ, Anschutz, Vudoo, etc...), you will have lots of options to tweak and upgrade as your passion grows.

If you cheap out initially on the gun, your options will be limited.

Pay once, cry once.

Thanks, I think I'm leaning towards the CZ 457 when it comes out, or the Tikka T1x.

Very true words. I cheaped out when I bought my 308 (r700, 26" varmint sps), had to upgrade everything but the barreled action to get it to shoot decently. Luckily I had bought a rifle with a lot of aftermarket support.

Thanks, I think I'm leaning towards the CZ 457 when it comes out, or the Tikka T1x.

Very true words. I cheaped out when I bought my 308 (r700, 26" varmint sps), had to upgrade everything but the barreled action to get it to shoot decently. Luckily I had bought a rifle with a lot of aftermarket support.

if your on a budget get the CZ455 if not go for the vudoo and be done.

Longest range I have access to is a touch over 300 yards. I love taking my 308 out and shooting at that distance, but ammo can be expensive. I thought a 22lr might be fun, and a little more challenging too. I don't have much experience with 22s, I own a Marlin 60 (iron sights) and I have a Ruger 10/22 receiver in the safe. Just wondering if it would be better to build up a 10/22 using Kidd / Volquartsen parts, or to buy a CZ 455 or 457 (when available)?

I love the look of the CZ 455 American, but I know the Precision Trainer with Manners stock would be a more accurate rifle.

I have a 2 CZ 455 Varmint, it is the lowest cost, way to go. Both of mine shoot very well. Then the 457, and Tikka T1x will be good. The Precision Trainer with Manners stock is the same action as the Varmint, but with a better stock. I am looking at the T1X. By the time the guns are here, everything like rails etc should be here. I was were DIP will have rail very soon.
I also have a Kidd Supergrade that is a great gun. If I were starting over today, I would go for a Anchultz , custom CZ, 40X, or Vudoo.

Mark

Don't let the semi auto haters talk you out of one if that's what you might like. But, don't buy a built 10/22. And, don't feed it crap ammo. You can build a 10/22 from a bare receiver, just as much as you can an AR. A turn key solution is the Kidd supermatch and Lapua centerX ammunition. I'm a middling shooter at our local center fire match (I generally shoot around 50% of the top shooter). Some of those top shooters were at our 22 match last weekend. That gun scored better than they did. I say "that gun," because all I did was pull the trigger. Over 8 stages from 50-150y and 70+ rounds, I missed 2 targets. One at 75 (wobbly support) and one at 140 (blown wind call). This includes a kyl rack at 50y that it went 10/10 on- 3x hits on the 1/4" target. It also went 10/10 on the kyl at 100, though I don't know the sizes of the targets. No wtfs on any mag, though I did see a few malfs on one bolt gun. The only knock I have on the Kidd is that it is not a "budget solution." But, it costs about what you would expect to put together a top tier precision 22 rifle.

Don't let the semi auto haters talk you out of one if that's what you might like. But, don't buy a built 10/22. And, don't feed it crap ammo. You can build a 10/22 from a bare receiver, just as much as you can an AR.

Yeah, one of the attractions to semi auto is I can build a 10/22 1 piece at a time, so I can spread the cost out.

Reactions: Seymour Fish
Don't let the semi auto haters talk you out of one if that's what you might like. But, don't buy a built 10/22. And, don't feed it crap ammo. You can build a 10/22 from a bare receiver, just as much as you can an AR. A turn key solution is the Kidd supermatch and Lapua centerX ammunition. I'm a middling shooter at our local center fire match (I generally shoot around 50% of the top shooter). Some of those top shooters were at our 22 match last weekend. That gun scored better than they did. I say "that gun," because all I did was pull the trigger. Over 8 stages from 50-150y and 70+ rounds, I missed 2 targets. One at 75 (wobbly support) and one at 140 (blown wind call). This includes a kyl rack at 50y that it went 10/10 on- 3x hits on the 1/4" target. It also went 10/10 on the kyl at 100, though I don't know the sizes of the targets. No wtfs on any mag, though I did see a few malfs on one bolt gun. The only knock I have on the Kidd is that it is not a "budget solution." But, it costs about what you would expect to put together a top tier precision 22 rifle.

Yep, I have a built 10/22 takedown, and a built CZ 455, and they are both great toys.

I use a Romeo5 red-dot on the 10/22 for relatively close quick shooting and a nice Leupold with an AO on the CZ 455 for longer, more precise, shooting..

:)

Yeah, one of the attractions to semi auto is I can build a 10/22 1 piece at a time, so I can spread the cost out.

I will add one thing on 10-22 build. I built 10-22 in the past. I then jumped in deep. You can get a KIdd Supergrade barreled action with everything but trigger for around $600.00. Supergrade is the same price as slip fit action. The 2 stage trigger is less than $300 ( it is the best 10-22 made). That is around $900 for a complete Kidd for $900. Put it in a Titan stock with their rear anchor. That is around $1100 complete Kidd.
IF you want to cut some cost. Get the complete barreled action, put a BX trigger for now, and add a Kidd 2 stage trigger later

Mark

Dude says "starter" and everyone is screaming Vudoo.
That's probably because people on here are mostly in on the "Buy once, cry once" motto from experiences of their own. I just sold a Kidd supergrade build and ordered a Vudoo Ravage build a month ago. A CZ455 or 457 might be more realistic given the price point but I'm not a huge fan of semi-autos.

LOL!
Would you believe i’ve never owned a .22 before?Shot plenty over the years though.
Decided to shit or get off the pot,but agonised over CZ 455,Tikka T1X,Sako Quad,Sako P94S,Rem 40X or the V 22.
I’m tired of building,accurising & accesorising so I opted for the almost turn key solution & got a Vudoo.
Now,will I shoot to it’s potential & really use it as a trainer to maximise my skills?
Debatable,
YMMV.

I have a CZ455 Varmint and it's a very nice gun and fairly accurate. I recently upgraded to a pillar bedded Boyd's Pro Varmint/Tacticool and it's been a huge upgrade. The best groups with the Tacticool are no better than the best with the original Varmint stock, but I'm getting great groups far more often. The adjustable cheek riser is a bonus.

The take away - buying a CZ gets you an accurate and well made .22LR, and a pillar bedding job is a cheap way to get a bit more out of it.

I have a used low round count CZ 455 Varmint already had a DIP Mag Well and Trigger Spring purchase price $330
Glades Tactical Bolt Handle $60
Boyds Pro Varmint Stock $ 150 Shipped ( Home Made Rattle Can Paint Job)
used EGW 20 MOA Rail $25
Pillared and Glass Bedded $8 in Materials
Mueller 8 - 32 Target Dot Scope $235
Vortex Scope Level $25
$833 All in ( Less than a Precision Trainer) and this Rifle Shoots 1/4" at 50 yards all day long
cz3.jpg

Dammit you basterds are talking me off the cliff into marital troubles. I did look at the semis last night , I am going to get a Supergrade as soon as I learn more about them.

LOL...Buy a Vudoo or an Anschutz like I have. Then you will know precision with a rimfire. I've owned a couple of Kidds...nice but not in a Bolt's league

For a budget 22LR, I like the RAR, because it uses 10/22 magazines.

Attachments

• RAR.jpg
    RAR.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 71
  • rar2.jpg
    rar2.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 66
  • RAR_BASE.jpg
    RAR_BASE.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 73
Get a voodoo if you can.....I have a nice cz455 that I have been working on, then I bought a sako quad range that shoots stupidly accurate. With the price of both of these I could have bought the voodoo and been done.

Sony ger me wrong, both the rifles are awesome...but it took some time to get the 455 to the standard of the sako.

Sako...about 1500
Dip parts, mags, scope rings and everything probably another 1500-1700.

Could have bought a voodoo and sold the 455 for a nice scope.

Kentucky, to get precision out of any 22 requires an ammo quest. Be prepared for the fact that you need to identify good ammo by the Lott Number beyond any certain brand. If semi-auto , send a box stock 10/22 to Randy at CPC. If cheap bolt with potential, a good bbl on a Savage MK 2 will do it. They are a crap shoot. CZ, old Rem 580 series. Well used Savage/ Anschutz, and on and on, a good barrel and chamber with ammo to match is 95% of it. Cheap ammo: SK standard plus, chi sv, tac-22, Fed automatch. If your cheap starter won’t shoot one of these, sell it

An interesting question that should have been asked is are we talking "precision" or "precision style". Generally I would think precision starts with rifles at the 1moa or better arena. While precision would definitely narrow down the choices or most certainly increase the cost factor especially once you start adding in modifications a precision style rifle in the 1.5 to 2moa area opens up a bunch of options. I ask this question because if you are talking a rifle that shoots Moa or better then you really aren't talking what I understood originally to be for the word starter meaning cheaper. That is also something that directly relates to the ammo discussion. To say that cheaper ammo doesn't shoot well is a misnomer. 100 yards an in my Vudoo will shoot SK plus as well as many rifles out there shooting match ammo at twice the cost.

Every conversation on 22's ends up the same place anyway so might as well get there now.

An interesting question that should have been asked is are we talking "precision" or "precision style". Generally I would think precision starts with rifles at the 1moa or better arena. While precision would definitely narrow down the choices or most certainly increase the cost factor especially once you start adding in modifications a precision style rifle in the 1.5 to 2moa area opens up a bunch of options. I ask this question because if you are talking a rifle that shoots Moa or better then you really aren't talking what I understood originally to be for the word starter meaning cheaper. That is also something that directly relates to the ammo discussion. To say that cheaper ammo doesn't shoot well is a misnomer. 100 yards an in my Vudoo will shoot SK plus as well as many rifles out there shooting match ammo at twice the cost.

Every conversation on 22's ends up the same place anyway so might as well get there now.
QD, very true. Define the precision you will be happy with and work from that whether a game or hunting. ARA you need 50 yd groups at .140” to compete successfully. Steel at 200 or better, could define it as some percentage smaller than smallest target size, hunting perhaps hold head shot out to x distance on a squirrel. Seems likely all might agree that 1/2” at 50 yds would be a starting reference for 22 accuracy. Frame of reference is needed for ammo too. I would propose 1) Junk - plenty duds, won’t shoot in a bucket with any 22 you lay hands on 2) Cheap - above mentioned SK, SV, automatch, tac-22 (rws), etc, where a good lot number will shoot lights out 3) expensive (to me) center x and the like. 4) absurdly expensive Use it for a money shoot, big championship, etc.

Dammit you basterds are talking me off the cliff into marital troubles. I did look at the semis last night , I am going to get a Supergrade as soon as I learn more about them.

I have been were you are. see http://www.coolguyguns.com/RIFLES_c_10.html I have mod a few 10-22. Before doing anything, price getting a 10-22 and add the mods you want. then price a Kidd Supergrade. A few years back I got Ruger Target. I paid $500 for the gun. It need a trigger, ( did not come with a BX trigger ) I later add a Kidd 2 stage trigger and changed the stock, for a total of $ 950. It shoots great but not as a Kidd.
You can get a complete Supergrade barreled action for around $600. What bites with a Kidd is the trigger. A 2 stage trigger is around $300. BUT they are THE BEST 10-22 trigger made. And IMO the Titan stock is the stock for a 10-22 . http://victorcompanyusa.com/titan-1022.html With their rear anchor and the Kidd action, is a great setup.
My Kidd with run 0.5 moa out to 150yds. I have win steel match out to 200yds. You can't go wrong with a Kidd
Hope this helps.
Mark

I have been were you are. see http://www.coolguyguns.com/RIFLES_c_10.html I have mod a few 10-22. Before doing anything, price getting a 10-22 and add the mods you want. then price a Kidd Supergrade. A few years back I got Ruger Target. I paid $500 for the gun. It need a trigger, ( did not come with a BX trigger ) I later add a Kidd 2 stage trigger and changed the stock, for a total of $ 950. It shoots great but not as a Kidd.
You can get a complete Supergrade barreled action for around $600. What bites with a Kidd is the trigger. A 2 stage trigger is around $300. BUT they are THE BEST 10-22 trigger made. And IMO the Titan stock is the stock for a 10-22 . http://victorcompanyusa.com/titan-1022.html With their rear anchor and the Kidd action, is a great setup.
My Kidd with run 0.5 moa out to 150yds. I have win steel match out to 200yds. You can't go wrong with a Kidd
Hope this helps.
Mark

Just built this set-up, kidd barreled action and titan stock, been killing me that I havent been able to get to the range yet!

I'll pitch for the cz 455 varmint as well. I've had one for a while and gradually tuned it to a sub moa rifle. There's plenty of room to tinker with it as you get better but they generally shoot well out of the box.

The biggest thing is FIND THE RIGHT AMMO!!! I've got about 20 different 22lr ammo on hand from tuning in different rifles. Some will do great with CCI SV, others want to fed ELEY Tenex....they're finicky biotches;)

Figure out what is acceptable to your pocket for a box of 22lr and go forth from there..lots of good starter suggestions above. If you go CZ, try Norma Match in it, I shot my first couple seasons of PRC with that and it did well in the factory cz barrel.

A built semi auto .22 can be as inherently accurate as a good bolt .22..... but you cannot beat the fast lock time of a bolt gun, EVER, with a hammer fired semi in field conditions. I don't care how good your follow through is.
A bolt gun is in the 2 millisecond range and a semi is closer to 8 ms.
So you have to hold a semi PERFECTLY STILL 3-4 times longer after you pull the trigger, than a bolt gun.

On a centerfire, the bullet is 50-75 yards downrange on a bolt gun BEFORE A SEMI'S EVER LEAVE THE BARREL!!

A built semi auto .22 can be as inherently accurate as a good bolt .22..... but you cannot beat the fast lock time of a bolt gun, EVER, with a hammer fired semi in field conditions. I don't care how good your follow through is.
So you have to hold a semi PERFECTLY STILL 3-4 times longer after you pull the trigger, than a bolt gun.

On a centerfire, the bullet is 50-75 yards downrange on a bolt gun BEFORE A SEMI'S EVER LEAVE THE BARREL!!

Not the case with the Kidd 2 stage trigger. It is the only 10-22 trigger with the lock time of a bolt gun.
Mark

I got a Kidd Super grade barreled action and just got a Titan stock for Christmas, picked up a Vortex PST 3-15 at $250.00 off from Midway (not here yet) :(. I have high hopes at the range and hope to shoot NRL 22 with it. I'm a lefty so didn't want to wrestle with the bolt or pump 2k into a lefty 22

A Field Target air gun would give a "long" distance experience in even less space than a 22.

:p

But more space in the wallet, by the time you get a carbon tank and or a compressor to fill it, even a cheap PCP air rifle will be north of a grand.

Reactions: PAYDIRT
But more space in the wallet, by the time you get a carbon tank and or a compressor to fill it, even a cheap PCP air rifle will be north of a grand.
So true, I almost got on the air rifle train back when people went retarded over 22 ammo. Glad I didn't.

I have a CZ455 varmint, fluted, laminated thumbhole stock and set trigger that was less than a precision trainer and shoots as well or better.
Have also had a varmint Savage with laminated stock that shot almost as good as the CZ.
Can't go wrong with either to start out. The Savage will save some money over the CZ.

Hellbender, you are correct sir. A Kidd 2-stage is still considerably slower lock time than a good bolt action trigger. Shot back to back on a silhouette range the difference is immediately detectable. Off full-on benchrest setup the slower lock time is moot

Hellbender, you are correct sir. A Kidd 2-stage is still considerably slower lock time than a good bolt action trigger. Shot back to back on a silhouette range the difference is immediately detectable. Off full-on benchrest setup the slower lock time is moot

Yes, that's why I stated "in field conditions".... a free recoil bench setup would negate most, (but still not 100%) of the lock time disadvantage.

People can't believe it unless you have them side by side, but you can immediately tell the difference, even by dry firing, the lock time difference.

You can even feel the difference in a titanium hammer vs. a steel hammer in a 1911 pistol.

Filling the tank with a manual pump will do you good :p :D

honestly i would go with the 10/22.....mainly for the ease of working on them.

the limiting factor of any rimfire is the barrel and the ammo.....you can buy ammo and rebarreling a 10/22 is childs play.....no other rimfire can you just order up a new barrel and slap it on in seconds.

plus there is no other rimfire with as much aftermarket support as the 10/22.......and considering you already have the action, you already have a head start

Didnt see it asked....

What is your budget? This with scope, rings, and extras?

Like I said above....my cz455 was a great shooter out if the box. I have a 17hmr barrel on it now and it still shoots. Both barrels are factory cut.

Depending on your accuracy expectations, that may determine the rifle.

honestly i would go with the 10/22.....mainly for the ease of working on them.

the limiting factor of any rimfire is the barrel and the ammo.....you can buy ammo and rebarreling a 10/22 is childs play.....no other rimfire can you just order up a new barrel and slap it on in seconds.

plus there is no other rimfire with as much aftermarket support as the 10/22.......and considering you already have the action, you already have a head start

On the contrary, The CZ 455 is a switchbarrel setup.. Takes about 15 minutes to switch out a barrel and whistlepig, fedderson and lilja are all aftermarket options. I know the lilja's have quite a good reputation, know of a guy with a fedderson that loves it but don't have any good intel on the whistlepig yet..

I think I'm leaning towards the CZ 457 with the Manners stock when it comes out. Would love a Vudoo, but at $2000+, it would be hard to justify when the CZ is half that price, and I have other things pulling for my money. I might end up getting the CZ 457 Varmint instead though. It will be a while before I have the cash available to pick one up.