• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Whats Acceptable Grouping?

M36

Private
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2013
Arizona
For some reason I have it in my mind that shooting sub MOA at any distance is acceptable. I think I have finally developed a couple loads Im happy with for my .308 and Im moving on to the next stage. Yesterday I shot my sons rifle at 300 yards. The vertical grouping was 2.587, horizontal 1.97 . Same load in my rifle at 500 yards was 2.777 vertical, but the horizontal spread was 7 1/2".What groups are you happy with at longer ranges?

Both are Rem 700 SPS Varmint 26"

175 SMK
42 gr 4064
CCI LR
LC LR brass
2.825 OAL

1 MOA is certainly a worth goal. I like to keep it at .5 at 100, but after that I'm happy with 1 MOA. I'm no "target" shooter or competitor, though. I'm looking to maintain a realistic level(combat conditions realistic) of skill with the minimal amount of training that I get to do.

The horziontal stringing is most likley due to wind; it doesn't take much at 500 to affect the bullet.

For comparison, the F class target 10 ring is 1 MOA. The x ring is 1/2 MOA. Cleans are rare at even at 600 yards. A 1 mph full value cross wind will blow you right out to the edge of the 10 ring, more or less.

Shooting 1 MOA at medium and long range is not easy.

1/2 MOA is not too difficult to load for and shoot at long range, it suits all the shooting I do with all my buddies. 100 yds little groups don't mean shit to us, that close shooting is only to zero new scopes and a starting point for developing dope.
Cheers

Elevation always takes precedence over windage for me when load testing. All things being equal, with a good repeatable hold and good shot calls, vertical stringing over .5 moa tells me to look elsewhere. In F-Class if your load won't shoot .5 moa or better elevation consistently you're probably not going to be in the hunt. Sub .5 moa gives you some slop (damn little, actually) in the 10 ring for a less than perfect shot call or follow through (if you don't adhere to free recoil), an undetectable imperfection in your load (void under the bullet jacket, powder scale anomaly, no one or their load is perfect, see my signature). You cannot buy windage...but you can buy elevation, with sweat and treasure. If all you have to worry about is windage, you're almost half way there.

.5 or lower means you have a good grasp on the fundamentals and a good load. The way I see it, there's actually a huge upside to practice shooting groups alot; Just like a basketball player practices dribbling with dribbling drills, despite there being countless other dynamics to practice, perfection of the fundamentals gives you the critical edge to succeed. Shooting groups in my opinion is just practicing the fundamentals, and the smaller the shot group you strive for, the more you'll learn about shooting and after so long, your critical edge is now second nature.

Whats Acceptable Grouping?

Shooting groups in my opinion is just practicing the fundamentals, and the smaller the shot group you strive for, the more you'll learn about shooting and after so long, your critical edge is now second nature.

Caveat is that you are shooting said groups in the position that you are anticipating being in when needed.

If your goal is hunting and you'll likely be taking your shots kneeling sitting or prone practicing your groups on a bench is probably not gaining you that much.

To the original question the answer is subjective and requires you to assess what your objectives are. If I'm in a fairly stable position ie on a bench/prone I obviously am after 1/2 minute groups but these days I've found I'm more thrilled when I can take the 'ole hunting weight 30-06 with $150 Nikon scope with no fancy adjustable turrets and pop a solid 1st round hit on the small steel plate at 300 or 400yards while kneeling (not that it happens as often as I'd like)

I try to get my rifles an loads to group at 1.5"s or under for 5 shots at 300yds. I had read somewhere that if your capable of that with your gun you should be competitive at 1000yds.

Whats Acceptable Grouping?

"Shoot a group? Show me five Taliban and I'll shoot a group."
- Lindy