• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns What's available to secure pistol from grandchildren, but still somewhat readily available for Daughter-in-Law

DIBBS

Old Mountain Man-Tired occasionally Grumpy SOB
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Aug 21, 2008
    WARSHington State
    I would like to purchase a pistol for my Daughter in Law. However, there are 3 grandchildren as part of the equation, ages 10, 3 (mini-tornado), & 1.

I am aware of the combo/keypad safes you can mount to bed frame etc... but am wondering if there is something out there that would make the pistol inoperable in her purse, but could be put into action fairly quickly should the need arise.

Thanks in advance.

Proper Training............
    Does she want a weapon or is this your idea?
    Where is your son in this matrix ?

EDIT: What about a tear gas pistol and then a real pistol... Training wheels on a bicycle.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Deets
    Agreed, proper training is the number one biggest thing. My son got his first gun at age 4.

In her purse you are very limited, basically probably better on a belt so she never loses control of it. Simplex small safes are good but bulky for that. Only other idea is lock cable through the action with a quick access pad lock type set up (they have directional combos that can be access very quickly instead of numbers etc)…still slightly bulky but not much else available if it has to be in her purse.

Son has a CWP, but DIL works a couple days a week as a hairdresser in town.

(My idea to buy her a pistol, particularly with these crazy times we're in... Agreed re: training needed... )

Also my wife would fall under the same umbrella somewhat... she has had training put on by Countty Sheriff, but she watches Grandchildren occasionally at their home, and travels alone at times.

First, make sure she buys the gun otherwise you'll be making a straw purchase for her, and advertising it online for the world to see. Remember that first question on the 4473? :)

My advice would be to take the mystery out of the firearm for the grandchildren. Teach the kids gun safety and drill it into their heads. Explain the rules and WHY each one exists. Have them repeat them back to you, ask them questions. Make sure they understand. Let them practice gun safety by actually handling the gun. Let them know if they want to handle the gun, all they have to do is come ask you--And make sure you (your son, DIL, etc) make that time for them. This is an ongoing discussion, not just a one-time thing.

EDIT: also take them shooting when they are age appropriate and explain to them that everything they see on tv regarding gun handling is wrong :rolleyes:. A gun safe at home is always a good idea, as is keeping the gun in a spot the small children can't get to, like a top dresser drawer or another high spot in the bedroom. Keep the chamber clear.

Last edited:
    Keeping the pistol ON BODY is the way to go. A quality, rigid polymer holster with active retention, on a gun belt and not paddle, like a Safariland model with ALS, or 5.11 Thumbdrive equipped model, is a safer rig. There are quality fannypacks with dedicated holster compartments that might work with them.

As long as there's no state law against it, you can legally buy someone a firearm if they're not prohibited from possessing one. You just choose "Gift" on the 4473.

Reactions: DIBBS
    You're asking a lot if you really want it in her purse. Not much available that I can think of that would really work well.

As for small lock boxes, go with a simplex lock. Electronic, biometric locks fail at the wrong time. Those fingerprint readers suck and any water/blood/gunk on you finger will make them fail.

Fort Knox makes some nice locking boxes

Reactions: DIBBS
    That’s a tough order to fill.
    A friend of mine recently was In the same situation and wound up buying a good quality tazer with a 20’ range.
    That might be an option for your DIL

First, make sure she buys the gun otherwise you'll be making a straw purchase for her, and advertising it online for the world to see. Remember that first question on the 4473? :)

My advice would be to take the mystery out of the firearm for the grandchildren. Teach the kids gun safety and drill it into their heads. Explain the rules and WHY each one exists. Have them repeat them back to you, ask them questions. Make sure they understand. Let them practice gun safety by actually handling the gun. Let them know if they want to handle the gun, all they have to do is come ask you--And make sure you (your son, DIL, etc) make that time for them. This is an ongoing discussion, not just a one-time thing.

EDIT: also take them shooting when they are age appropriate and explain to them that everything they see on tv regarding gun handling is wrong :rolleyes:. A gun safe at home is always a good idea, as is keeping the gun in a spot the small children can't get to, like a top dresser drawer or another high spot in the bedroom. Keep the chamber clear.
    Not true, it is entirely legal to buy a firearm as a gift.
    Some state laws still require a background check through an FFL

Reactions: AznTactical
    First, make sure she buys the gun otherwise you'll be making a straw purchase for her, and advertising it online for the world to see. Remember that first question on the 4473?
    In most states this is false. You can buy a firearm as a gift. See the Mr. Brown example on sheet 4 (Question 21.a.) of Form 4473.

On the body carry.

Also, as @Buzzinga said, teach the kids about safety. Remove their curiosity by letting them hold and examine the pistol (unloaded of course, show them this as well so they understand).

When I was showing my son all this, I took him out in the back yard and had him watch me shoot a watermelon with a hollow point, so he could understand that this was something he should take seriously. It did the trick.