• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What's in a Snipers Back Pack???

Name Enough

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2013
Rosenberg, Texas
Was at the range recently and a guy from the Sheriff's Office was there at the 200 yard line. In his pack he has a tripod that was quite sturdy and folded down to about 24 inches - it wasn't a hunting tripod the tubes on it were about 1 1/2 inches thick at the base and it had a heavy duty leather padded yoke. He had a small stool the also was about 24 inches long and folded flat. I seems he may have wanted to be comfortable if in place for a long time.
I went out to post and when I got back he was gone so I didn't get a chance to ask him what it was.
Anybody know what that stuff was?
So what all do you have in your back pack besides the usual and how do you use it.
I have a Swiss Made Multi tool and I won't leave home without it. Most of the time I am loaning it out to someone else.

Baby tears, dead kittens, I am sure feinstein can tell you everything else.

Seriously though A LRF, Databook, bleeder/blowout kit (wouldn't believe some of the yahoos at the ranges), shooting sticks (they work perfectly with a tripod when utilized as rear support), Weather meter, Rear Bag, field cleaning kit. Usually targets ammo etc. Oh and currently my Thunderbeast 30P-1.

Baby tears, dead kittens, I am sure feinstein can tell you everything else.
You forgot false hope, empty dreams, hate and discontent to be spread around as well! Oh, and ground unicorn bones for wind calls.

Sounds like the guy had a PRS tripod so something similar to that. Store - PRECISION RIFLE SOLUTIONS, LLC I prefer the Hog Saddle and wish I had one back in my younger days, simply for being able to take my hands off the rifle but keeping it in position. Having a chair is always great in urban areas, but like anything you tailor your gear to the mission. I always had chow, water, radio(s), batteries, batteries and more batteries, ammo, ghillie top and veil, and all the other fun kit to top out at 80+ lbs on a good day. Don't forget plenty of snuff.

I can imagine that a police sniper may have an instance where they would need to hold on a position from inside a building using a window and backing off the window as to not be seen. Hence the stool and the tripod.

I'm not leo/mil or a sniper by any means but I do shoot a lot of precision matches where you can't expect to go back to your rig so you have everything you're gonna need with you. In addition to all the basic gear (ammo, book, binocs, etc.) some of the items I find the most handy and keep in my pack are a couple zip loc sandwich bags, usually a garbage bag, bottle of water, some kind of food source such as trail mix or protein bar, and of recent I started packing some Cabela's packable rain gear instead of depending on the coat I often wear. Keep in mind I live in Oregon where we never really know what the weather is going to do until it happens. I also have a small pelican case that holds my car keys, cell phone, wallet, etc. that I throw in the bottom of my pack just to lighten up the pockets. With that stuff in a pelican case I don't have to worry about it being on the bottom out of the way. There is also a Herfador with some cigars usually in the pack.

If you're talking about the ruck I'd take when stalking or going out for a full day to hunt, or a rifle class, that is totally different than what I am taking to a range.

The range bag just has ammo, water, shooting glasses, etc - whatever you need at the range.

The other ruck is mission/goal specific but the mainstays are usually water, logbook and all that comes with it, compass/map of AO, a small bit of basic snivel gear, LRF, kestrell, ammo, minimalistic hardware such as basic cleaning kit and tools and a small IFAK. Other than that, it can range from a spotting scope, tripod, comm gear, more water, camo netting, ETool, a ton of food, whatever. Mission/goal specific.

]My shooting pack holds
-ammo
-shooting sock
-log book, whiz wheel, mildot calculator
-laser ranger finder
- para cord
- mosquito netting
- electrical tape
- pencils rubber banded together (works great for with or in place of sand sock)
- ear plugs
- binocs or spotting scope
- hoodie or small jacket
-pair of gloves
- and Copenhagen snuff:)
View attachment 5473

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366821007.411434.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366821007.411434.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 18
Why don't you tweet Tom Beringer?

Seriously, are you a slotted sniper? If not, why do you want to know what's in a sniper's back pack. There is no one answer, it's whatever he needs for that mission, that day. It's not a Call of Duty load out.

Did the guy have a name tag that identified him as a "sniper". 200 yards is quite a stretch for LE as all of the ones I shoot with tend to stay at 100 yards or less. If you get a chance, find the article on the net about the LE sniper team that was about 40 yards from their target and after firing three rounds with no effect, they realized the scope was pointed over the retaining wall but the barrel was not; however, they sure suppressed that wall for a bit. Our LE sniper types have their own range at a secure location for just military and LE use. Nice thing about LE work, the vehicle is close by so there is not a need to carry a bunch of trash with you.

Why don't you tweet Tom Beringer?

Seriously, are you a slotted sniper? If not, why do you want to know what's in a sniper's back pack. There is no one answer, it's whatever he needs for that mission, that day. It's not a Call of Duty load out.

I am not a slotted sniper - I don't even know what a slotted sniper is. I have been shooting for over 50 years and I am new to long range. Up to now 300 yards was where I quit. I will now go for 300 to 600. My question was pertaining to the two unique pieces of equipment that I saw and have not seen in the past.
This site should be a place where the novice can ask questions and further their education.
I am a novice and that will soon pass.

Last edited:
Tripod and unsupported shooting are what separates the serious shooters from the pups. So he may or may not be a snipey but if he's using a tripod he has a level of skill that is very difficult to achive.

Night eagle

The tripod could be one of many. As you shoot, read, and look more you will see everybody has their own preferences on what's best. What he had was probably for sitting and shooting. Nothing special, just what he finds to work best for him. Just my thoughts.

I've heard of many experienced shooters using tri-pods for various shooting reasons. They work great for standing or sitting which will come up often in Leo sniper applications. I personally don't use one because I don't have an application for it.

I think the whole LE and sniping thing is rather funny. How many times does a LE sniper even shoot over 50 yards. Sorry to hijack.

Very true! I would actually consider them designated marksman more than snipes, due to the fact they don't stalk or due other sniper trade techniques. But they are much more precise than a military sniper.

Nice thing about LE work, the vehicle is close by so there is not a need to carry a bunch of trash with you.

One thing about military work, the FFP is usually a ways away, so you don't want to hump a bunch of trash with you.

Prairie dog setup ? We have a guy that goes with us to South Dakota and uses that type of setup.

You guys have it all wrong. We're talking about LE Snipers aren't we..

DONUTS

Seriously, I realize I'm old school, or a has been if you wish. All I carried was my rifle, a scoped Rem in 223, with a M1907 sling, and a mag full of M193.

My main job was patrol. So I had my normal duty belt w/servicer revolver, but I didn't pack a ruck full of crap. Didn't need it.

Counter Sniper was an additional duty, didn't get SWAT (called them SRT) until later in my career. When we did get SRT, I kept the rifle per the LTs request. He said if he needed a rifle he wanted a rifle, may not have the time to wait for a call out so I carried until I retired.

Somebody must have thought I knew what I was doing, I was the one the Dept picked to do the rifle training when we started the SRT program, and the sent officers to the Sniper School I was running for the Alaska NG.

Last edited:
tripod he had could also be manfrotto, it comes in a nice keyhole kit with a rifle rest attachment, I lugged that and a small fold out stool around AFG, along with some lickies and chewies, a sand sock ammo water LRF can and vs17 and a smoke :) hope this helps you. btw the manfrotto is wicked expensive I believe it to be like 4 bills. we carried different stuff based on the job but that was a good start. + 1 on the shooting sticks I didn't have em but I utilized a cool y shaped stick the locals used to hold up a water hose once.

Very true! I would actually consider them designated marksman more than snipes, due to the fact they don't stalk or due other sniper trade techniques. But they are much more precise than a military sniper.

more precise? as in only b4 quadrant shots? ,,eh ok maybe but mil snipers don't usually work at 50 meters. I suppose I see your train of thought but I still disagree with the statement.

Comparing military snipers with LE snipers is like comparing a screwdriver to a wrench. Both are tools but with very different functions. Personally the only people I consider to be worthy of the sniper designation are the military school trained guys. But by definition, I guess the label "sniper" can lend itself to the LE community as well.

The differences in the two are pretty obvious. Everyone knows that LE engagments distances for the most part never exceed 100 yards (and I'm being conservative) while military guys routinely go 1k and beyond. There is also AOO to consider and ROE's. On my time on the job, we've never had one of our snipers or DMs if you will engage a target. While our guys call themselves snipers and train out to 200-300 yards their primary task has been observation and intelligence gathering. Regardless if its a barricade or hostage job, they're put in place to observe. They also serve as over watch at high profile events. It's no secret that snipers have a very broad and diverse skill set. Something that isn't feasible or needed in the LE field. There is no reason to teach a cop the art of stalking, how to call in a polar mission, environmentals, advanced comms, E&E etc since none of that is needed in an urban setting. Besides, time and budget constraints prevent the extensive training that the military guys get so the focus stays on shooting.

As to who is better, hard to say. I would bet money on a Marine hitting a plate or hostile beyond 1000 yards but the LE guys have to be surgical if they're going to pull that trigger, more so than the military guys. I don't know, perhaps the whole comparison thing is moot since a lot of the guys on our Sniper/Observer teams are former Marine corps scout snipers or Army snipers. I guess the LE guys are better at their jobs and the military guys are certainly better at what they do.

As to the OPs original question, I have no fucking idea what's in a snipers bag. I'm not a sniper.

Comparing military snipers with LE snipers is like comparing a screwdriver to a wrench. Both are tools but with very different functions. Personally the only people I consider to be worthy of the sniper designation are the military school trained guys. But by definition, I guess the label "sniper" can lend itself to the LE community as well.

Really? I was a sniper, in a team for fifteen months before I went to the school. I may have just been a pig technically, but that doesnt make me any less of a sniper for that period of time because the unit needed slots. I most definitely agree with your stance on LE not being real snipers though, I dont care how much movement, wind or stress is going on, 100 meters aint shit,

Really? I was a sniper, in a team for fifteen months before I went to the school. I may have just been a pig technically, but that doesnt make me any less of a sniper for that period of time because the unit needed slots. I most definitely agree with your stance on LE not being real snipers though, I dont care how much movement, wind or stress is going on, 100 meters aint shit,

Well you can call yourself what you want but in the Marine Corps, it didn't matter if you spent 10 days or 10 years in a STA platoon, if you didn't graduate that school you weren't a "sniper" and God forbid if you were caught calling yourself that. Weid rule if you ask me but its something that's been in place for a long long time correct? There were guys that weren't school trained and had been on multiple deployments acting in the capacity but weren't given then MOS. Meanwhile you could have had a guy go to the school right after indoc and graduate and he was given the label.

Temp Deployment bag=Small and fast.. Extended, more stuff is hauled in for a hide

Rifle
Extra Ammo
Barrier Ammo
Log Book
Rear Bag
Tri Pod
Spotting Scope
Binoculars
Shooting Pad
Pancho for rain, or shade
Netting
Para Chord
Couple Flashlights
Extra knife
Glow Sticks
Blow out bag
Compass
Rifle field kit
Water
Snacks
Pens
Note Book
Calculator
Mildot Master
Range Finder
Coms
Smoke canister
sun screen
Hat with camo attached to cover your neck
Bug juice- I fucking hate ants. They are big here and they bite.
Signal Mirror
And a bunch of other little shit not counting gun belt with basic duty stuff.

What a bunch of happy horse shit.

Man the egos sure came out in this topic. No law says a person has to go to sniper school to be a sniper. There are military snipers, (that means Army too), there is LE Snipers, and there are criminal snipers. WEATHER OR NOT they went to "military" or any other sniper school.

Carlos Hathcock was a sniper before he went to sniper school, Herbert McBride was a sniper (not sure he ever went to sniper school. Simo Hayla never went to sniper school. I don’t see how you can say they weren't snipesr.

To say civilian LE snipers aren’t snipers is hideous at best. Sure the job is different then military snipers, they have different missions. Military snipers are taught to shoot center mass. That won’t work for LE snipers. For them the emphasis is on marksmanship, extreme precision at close range do to the need of an instant incapacitating shot required in hostages situations where the ability of the bandit to pull the trigger needs to be removed RIGHT NOW.

Actually, the biggest asset for a sniper is not shooting, is not field craft, but “mindset”, You can shoot, you can call for and direct artillery or close air support, but your head has to be in the game, You need to be able to pull the trigger. It’s one thing to do it at 500-1000 yards or more, its another thing to do it when you can count the whiskers on his chinny chin chin. It’s a whole new ball game when you see a couple inches of the bandits head behind a child at 60-75 yards with his mother screaming her head off.

KraigWY,

I don't disagree with what you're saying. In fact I think you're right. I was simply pointing out how the Marine Corps does things. At least that's how it went when I was in. Things maybe different now.

My apologies if I offended anyone as it wasn't my intent.

Last edited:
What a bunch of happy horse shit.

Man the egos sure came out in this topic. No law says a person has to go to sniper school to be a sniper. There are military snipers, (that means Army too), there is LE Snipers, and there are criminal snipers. WEATHER OR NOT they went to "military" or any other sniper school.

Carlos Hathcock was a sniper before he went to sniper school, Herbert McBride was a sniper (not sure he ever went to sniper school. Simo Hayla never went to sniper school. I don’t see how you can say they weren't snipesr.

To say civilian LE snipers aren’t snipers is hideous at best. Sure the job is different then military snipers, they have different missions. Military snipers are taught to shoot center mass. That won’t work for LE snipers. For them the emphasis is on marksmanship, extreme precision at close range do to the need of an instant incapacitating shot required in hostages situations where the ability of the bandit to pull the trigger needs to be removed RIGHT NOW.

Actually, the biggest asset for a sniper is not shooting, is not field craft, but “mindset”, You can shoot, you can call for and direct artillery or close air support, but your head has to be in the game, You need to be able to pull the trigger. It’s one thing to do it at 500-1000 yards or more, its another thing to do it when you can count the whiskers on his chinny chin chin. It’s a whole new ball game when you see a couple inches of the bandits head behind a child at 60-75 yards with his mother screaming her head off.

^^^^^^^this.........

Way off course from the OP's question but why give all Mil examples from early 1900's and mid 1900's that just happen to employ their skill-set and learn much of their fieldcraft in time of war? No matter what is said, until it is formal, in at least in the USMC no matter ho many targets are engaged, deployments are completed, how good all other required skill sets are; you do NOT have said MOS on your SRB.

Anyone who gets off their butt, takes an oath whether to defend against enemies foreign/domestic OR serve and protect gets my respect.

Let's not use some of these examples stated above though. Hitting a 2 inch target while listening to the mom of a perp screem at 50-100 yds VERSUS knowing every move, every shot you make can result in Muj, Taliban or Alqaeda closing on your location with mortars, 73mm rockets or a DShKM can be challenging to ones nerves as well.

As to the implied trauma of a 50-100 yard shot where whiskers are visible being different or harder on a shooters psyche in some way as compared to multiple deployments, many targets, sleeping in the same place a trained enemy wants you dead, many months at a time away from home living under stress during that period and not being around for those family struggles; I don't really want to pick that scab.

Anyone that takes an oath and picks up arms for the US, CONUS and OCONUS deserves respect.

Not a sniper, but i would like to mention that not all LE are urban based. County Sheriff's Depts. are usually rural. I know where I work it's not a rarity for a residence to be in the middle of a pasture with several hundred yards of flat pasture grass surrounding it. Our snipers have to train stalking to some degree (admittedly not to the degree of Mil. snipers) An LE sniper's training and methods defer from one department to the next depending on their terrain.

There's already a legit list, but I don't think anyone I ever worked with forgot to pack a woobie, a couple logs of cope, moon floss, wet wipes, hot sauce, ect. You can pack all the gear you want, but forget one of those and you might kill yourself before it's time to collapse back. And maybe a slingshot to kill rats if you're in the city and don't have far to hump.

Kraig described it best........Most all LEO have tripods, and if they dont they need to get one. Its all about precision, the medulla oblongata. Very rare they have to take a shot, but when they do, in the end they become a hero or a zero.

100 meters ain't shit....you're right when no one elses life is on the line. 100 meters, hell, 50 meters, is a lot of shit when you're target is bobbing, holding a child in one hand, and walking behind another person. Thats an easy shot for most internet "snipers" I guess. I don't care what people want to say about LEO snipers and what they are labeled in the world until they have have been there. I'm sure that when that frantic mother who just had her hostage taker shot off her back with a well placed shot from a trained LEO shooter won't give a fuck about what his title was at that time.

Most of what everyone else said I carry and I also carry two pee bags. I was an Army aviator for 12 years and always had 2-3 on a long flight. Just pull, squirt, cap and toss. Don't know how many times I have been set up for 8-10 hours and you can't exactly ask to go use the rest room. With hydration being a big concern where does all the overfill go? Now it goes into the pee bag and I don't have to violate my position.

Now onto the LEO sniper thing. I am a LEO sniper. I have been to 10-11 sniper courses over the last 6 years. Some 2 week others 1 week. Some with an emphasis on concealment and movement. Others hide building and others shooting. I train 2 x month with the team and shoot weekly with the other guys on our own dime. We never sit and plink at 100, we find unique places to go and more the 50% of our training is done in the 300-500 range from unusual positions and controlled movements into and out of the shooting areas. Every year we send the team to the Sig Academy 1000 yard two day event and reconfirm our data from 15-1000. When the weather is the worst, like today at 4 degrees without factoring in the wind chill, we go shoot. I now know what my rounds will do at this temp. I also know what my body and mind will do.

As for call outs, I work in a community that had 13 towns and one small city along with two islands. We respond to upwards of 30 instances a year and I personally have set up as close as 11 yards away in a vehicle hide and 480 yards away at a farm house. And no one knew we were there. I have had call outs lasting 12-14 hours where we set up hides on building tops using.... various techniques... we adapted from the guys coming home from deployments. I have had to do stalks into position for observation and reporting that were as long as any military operator would go. Why? Because the bad guys own the neighborhoods and we have to get to a good point of observation somehow and just walking in and setting up will not exactly provide the desired effect.

So I hear the myths all the time. LEO not real snipers, LEO shoot 100 and in, LEO do not stalk or develop hides, LEO..... Well I hope the wolves in my community that I am called upon to watch think the same way, it will make my life a easier. But do not think for an instant LEO snipers are not snipers. Some perhaps are not. After all there are two types of designated snipers, those who get a cert, hang it on a wall and buy bumper stickers and patches to "designate" to the world who they are. The miss lots of training, never do follow on schools, go to the range in nice weather and shoot 100 and in. Fine for them and more power to them. The others seek to push training and skill development to the limit. They are in total research mode and are always striving to perfect the skill set so, when needed, in any condition, at any time, in any place the life saving shot can be made. Most of my LEO brothers fall into this category. We don't demand or need your respect (mil snipers) we have enough self respect to off set any insults. But what we would like, what I would like, is the understanding that the LEO sniper plinks at 100 once a month is the real myth.

The thread hijack is now over.

Sully

My pack carries a rifle, and the rest is full of Skittles. I don't need anything else.

He had a small stool the also was about 24 inches long and folded flat. I seems he may have wanted to be comfortable if in place for a long time.
I went out to post and when I got back he was gone so I didn't get a chance to ask him what it was.
Anybody know what that stuff was?

I don't know if this is the stool that he had or not but the Walkstool from Sweden is a sweet little stool. It folds up into a very small package and is very lightweight. It would easily fit into a pack or you could get the optional carry case and attatch it to a pack.

Outdoor Tactical Enterprises | Walkstool

I don't know if this is the stool that he had or not but the Walkstool from Sweden is a sweet little stool. It folds up into a very small package and is very lightweight. It would easily fit into a pack or you could get the optional carry case and attatch it to a pack.

Outdoor Tactical Enterprises | Walkstool

Awesome link on that stool, thanks. I'm tired of "disposable" folding stools. That thing looks like it may be the last one I have to buy (until I want a different size).