• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What's my rifle worth? Tikka CTR/McMillan A3-5, advise needed.

vno.helix

"comfort is the enemy of progress"
Minuteman
May 22, 2011
Los Angeles
www.linkedin.com
I have some decisions to make. I have had my mind set on a 6.5 creedmoor for quite some time now. Currently I have a 308 Tikka CTR in a A3-5 McMillan stock. I have shot 500 rounds through it, 168 GMM and 175 GMM. I still can't figure out which one it likes best, I shoot nearly "one hole" groups all day long with either. Question is; do I continue to build on this rifle, rebarrel, true the action, open the stock, remmington style recoil lug, cerakote etc etc. I have been quoted around $1500 for the job. Or...do I sell it and just buy a AICS or GAP in 6.5 for 4.5K. I guess it all comes down to what my rifle would be worth. I have very little experience buying and selling rifles so; If any suggestions, please help me in the right direction.

My cost (approx) for the rifle without S&B, Spuhr mount and bipod:

- Tikka T3 CTR with break installed $1100
- McMillan A3-5 stock, pillar bedded $850
- CDI bdm $200
- AICS mag $75
- Badger 20 MOA rail $150
- Delta Tactical (Australia) Bolt handle and shroud $200

Total value: $2575

Would anywhere from $2000 to $2200 be too far off? Again, I have not the slightest idea where to start with this and what kind of market I am dealing with. Please advise.

Many thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3950.jpg
    IMG_3950.jpg
    684.2 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_3953.jpg
    IMG_3953.jpg
    695.5 KB · Views: 80
Looks like a nice rifle.

When you say re-barrel, do you mean to a 6.5?

The Tikka CTR's are no longer imported, that being said many people picked them up for around $800 new, the threaded barrel helps but probably plan on closer to that price plus your stock and other stuff.

If it shoots great and you want to keep a .308 caliber around maybe look at doing a separate build on a Tikka T3 action. The "T3 Lite" can be had for around $600. Plan to pull off the barrel (maybe sell it), have a smith put a 6.5 CM custom barrel on it. ($800 depending on your smith and including price of barrel, a lot of people don't worry about changing lug or "truing" Tikka actions because they just don't need it)

Throw it in a KRG Whiskey 3 or X-Ray if you don't need a folder or wait for AI to come out with their Tikka Chassis. The X-ray Chassis from KRG would be nice and light and you would end up with a custom 6.5 CM in a smooth action and a nice Chassis that takes AI mags for under $2000 and would probably shoot lights out. At that price you would still be under the price of an AI AT and would have two rifles instead of one. Some people see 2 rifles as a positive, but then you may have to put another $3000 piece of glass on it or switch back and forth or put a cheaper scope on it.

Another option would be to sell your existing one, and maybe get $1700-$1800 for it? Then you would plop down another $2000 ($3800 total) for the AI AT base model, IF it's offered in 6.5 CM. If not you would have to buy an extra AI AT barrel which will run $850 I think. In that configuration you could have a switch barrel AI, which is probably the best action to be had and swap barrels between 308 and 6.5 and not have to worry about buying another scope. If you don't need/want .308 you could probably sell the .308 AI barrel on here and fund most the 6.5 CM barrel.

Honestly, I think you will have a difficult time getting that out of the Tikka. When I look at a used rifle, I will typically value the individual components, with a slight reduction depending on use. Money paid for smithing is usually not included. The Tikka is only the barreled action at this point. While you spent $1100 on it initially, the barreled action would be closer to the $600-700 range including the brake. Used, you stock is likely worth closer to $700. The bottom metal and mag are about right, as is the rail. The bolt knob and rail are likely worth about half of what you paid given what's available today. So, total used value of your rifle were you to sell it would likely be closer to $1850, or $1700 without the rail.

Spending an extra $1500 to convert to 6.5 CM will get you there with less cost out of pocket overall. But, your rifle will still be a Tikka. If you are wanting a GAP or an AICS, save your pennies and buy one. I can guarantee that if your heart is set on one, and you choose to pursue this build for "economy", you will remain disappointed regardless of the outcome of the Tikka. I've spent a lot of money on "good enough", only to wish that I had spent just a little more on something like a GAP.

Gentleman, both of you, thank you for your time. It is good to get a reality check and I will put the rifle up for sale for $1850. For that price I can let go of it without any bad feelings. As for a new rifle, 2 points are especially well received: 2 rifles, resulting in 2 expensive scopes, I do not need :), period. Also, Spending the extra and not looking back wishing "I had" is a very valid statement. That is how I ended up with the S&B without regrets. Again, much appreciated.