• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Whats the absolute worst conditions you'll go shooting?

Ultraman550

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2011
Utah
I'm wondering if I am being an insanely huge vagina for not shooting when it's 100 - 118 degrees out? I know there's guys over in the war covered from head to toe with 60+ lb packs on in 115 degree plus weather and theres guys here who train on days like this but for the most part do you guys only go shooting when it's relatively nice out? A slight drizzle, 15mph winds, minor conditions etc... is not what I'm talking about. I'm talking its either hot as Satan's ass crack where there is a continuous flow of salty sweat into your eyes and your back feels like its char grilled or it's cold as a witches tit and your fingers feel like they're freezing to the point of breaking apart like the Kraken.

Simple, as said two way ranges anything goes. Target shooting (unpaid) nice weather or I'll take care of the honey do list. Target shooting that I paid for (class or match) anything goes. Hunting season, if I'm breathing I'm going.

I guess having a purpose (hunting and paid classes) makes it easier to rally. Here I am chomping at the bit for my custom bolt gun to be finished but then I think to myself "whats the fucking hurry, you're not going to shoot it anyway".

Its always hot here, but I don't let weather stop me. The range gets shut down for lightning, but I"ll still shoot in torrential downpours and high winds. We got brushed by Hurricane Sandy earlier this year, I was at the range shooting through 40mph gusts. My scope needed a windshield wiper and I needed a scuba tank to breathe, but I still did it. I'm not into the 'fair-weather' shooting thing anymore.

I shot in the 2005 F-Class National. It was raining and cold the whole weekend. I had a hell of a time. Even did pretty well. Shot an 1146 with 42X using a Rem PSS .308 with a trigger job. Wish I could go do it again.

8 inches of snow on the ground. Shoot 5 rounds from 2, 3, 4, 5 and 600 yards. You think there are fair weather shooters out there? Last week shot a prone rimfire match on the 200 Yd. berm, raining so hard I had to blow the water out of my rear sight 3 times to see through it.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if I am being an insanely huge vagina for not shooting when it's 100 - 118 degrees out? I know there's guys over in the war covered from head to toe with 60+ lb packs on in 115 degree plus weather and theres guys here who train on days like this but for the most part do you guys only go shooting when it's relatively nice out? A slight drizzle, 15mph winds, minor conditions etc... is not what I'm talking about. I'm talking its either hot as Satan's ass crack where there is a continuous flow of salty sweat into your eyes and your back feels like its char grilled or it's cold as a witches tit and your fingers feel like they're freezing to the point of breaking apart like the Kraken.

I'm an hour away from you and I can say you're a vagina for not going out in 112 degree temperatures. Bring alot of water, ruck it out there and then with some simple fieldcraft you can affix your woobie over your shooting position for some shade. If you live out here in Nevada/Arizona/Utah and don't go shooting when its over 100, you've pretty much written off shooting for 1/3 of the year.

I'll be going tomorrow where I have to drop my car off at a certain spot because the road is all rock, and ruck about 2 miles with my rifle slung,backpack with water/gear/ammo/targets for the day, long pants, my summer boots and a BDU top. And then ruck the 2 miles back afterwards.

i will only shoot if the winds are less than 5 mph, and the temp is between 74-78 degrees, plain and simple, i've shot twice in past 12 years

@ The German, LOL. Duly noted. I need to sack up in the heat. Cold doesn't bother me but I hate the heat.

I shoot here in Texas when it get brutally hot. The biggest problem I have is the 300 yard to 600 yard lanes are not under a roof and I keep getting salt in my eyes. Usually quit by Noon or 1:00 Oclock. When it goes down to 96 degrees I can last longer.
How hot does it get here>

Went hunting while it was thundering, with lightning all over the place one time. The only way I knew there was a tornado warning was the sirens, and even then I really didn't care.

I end up outside during every hurricane that comes around the area I'm in, so I've gotten over it.

FYI, the sky in the eye of a hurricane is the bluest sky you'll ever see.

Don't mind the cold but hate the heat. I'll go shoot but usually early before its Satans ass crack hot outside. Age and several bouts of heat exhaustion bordering on heat stroke and I've become less tolerant to the heat. It's been pretty toasty here in Texas too luckily the range has covered area to prone or bench out if you want so that helps. Still sweat running everywhere.

Rain. Here in South Texas I don't know of any ranges with grass so it usually turns into a mud pit quick.

My range has no shelter and never ending winds so tarps don't stand a chance. With that said, if I get a chance to go shooting and I can afford the ammo I am going weather be damned, the hottest I have gone is 123 and I lasted over 100 shots before I had to wimp out. I was the first one off the line that day. By the way 50 miles west of PHX

Call me weird, but I tend to shoot more in the bad conditions. Not that I really want too, but the range is not crowded and I can shoot in peace.

I went for 3 hours on Sunday and it was 110. My 14 year old daughter went with me and we had a great time... Just bring lots of water and take advantage of shade.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Was shooting up in Yakima, WA in about 25 degree weather and unknown wind chill factor with a heavy, heavy snow fall. Had to paint the black marks on the targets to see them but the trace was bad ass through the snow.

I've shot in the snow. Shot in the rain. Shot in the heat/humidity. As long as I can see the target in the snow, I'm in. Rain, sucks a little.Tend to find something else to do untill it quits. When someone starts paying me to shoot, I'll be less particular about the weather. As long as I'm doing it for fun, it had better be fun. Weather contributes to that.

I'll shoot in worse weather than I'll golf, and I've played golf in sleet and freezing rain. I've not seen it too hot to shoot.
They make creams for your vaginal irritation.

It all depends on what you want. For people that take the tactical side seriously then training in any and all weathers is a must, as you never know when you might need it. For those that partake of the more genteel sport shoots or bench rest comps then you can and will be more picky.

Just remember that rarely do men rise to the occasion, they default to their level of training.

Absolute worst? Shooting and forgetting to pick up a can of Cope on the way to the range. Environmentals are negligible.

My range has no shelter and never ending winds so tarps don't stand a chance. With that said, if I get a chance to go shooting and I can afford the ammo I am going weather be damned, the hottest I have gone is 123 and I lasted over 100 shots before I had to wimp out. I was the first one off the line that day. By the way 50 miles west of PHX

Same...im in North Phoenix...anything goes. Hunting or Classes..."Actual Combat Conditions at no extra charge".

Actually i think us desert dwellers look for ways to get out of work during the monsoon's just so we get a chance to shoot in the rain...

Last edited:
Absolute worst? Shooting and forgetting to pick up a can of Cope on the way to the range. Environmentals are negligible.

Actually I totally agree about environmentals being negligible but can one up you on that. Had the Cope but the monster inlaw was in town and came out to watch since I had the father inlaw with me.

She kept bitching about me using the pouches until I finally turned around and said if I can pound that 8" plate at 930 yards I can definitely take out that whiny noise behind me.

Worst conditions ever...............................................

I shoot here in Texas when it get brutally hot. The biggest problem I have is the 300 yard to 600 yard lanes are not under a roof and I keep getting salt in my eyes. Usually quit by Noon or 1:00 Oclock. When it goes down to 96 degrees I can last longer.
How hot does it get here>

That's awesome! Haha

Yes, you're being a vagina!

I'll shoot between 25F (bout as cold as it gets here) and 105F (bout as hot as it gets here). Add our humidity, and it sucks! I've started taking a 10' x 10' "Quick Shade" awning with me. Plenty of room for two guys and all their gear to fit under. A few weeks ago we shot prone, did load work-up, and even shot off a barricade I brought with me.

Time is my enemy, if I have time, I go. Only precipitation will keep me from shooting.

fog, and I rather go searchin'for the nearest coffee place_
anything else is shootin'time, with something to learn_

Checking in from 5508 elevation and 105 degrees after a 2.3 mile uphill hike in the mountains to call you a vagina.

;)

Call me weird, but I tend to shoot more in the bad conditions. Not that I really want too, but the range is not crowded and I can shoot in peace.

Amen to that, The conspiracy theorists are almost as thick as the mosquitoes in nice weather, and they've not invented a DEET powerful enough for them yet.

Brought one of my former girlfriends out to the range on the first date-- 20 below zero, not a cloud in the sky.

I dressed her up in my Army Bear suit, and told her that if she shot my M1A on rapid fire, she could warm up her hands on the action. she really liked my M1A. That, and whenever we got to shooting the bolt actions, she used me as a cuddle-heater. The cold hands in my armpits took a second to get used to, but overall, A highly successful first date.

Went shooting last Feb for CCW qual,, did pretty good too 356/360 at -14F. What was really cool was that the school made it very clear that anyone who wished to could shoot with later month's classes. 24 bodies in classroom Sat. 24 bodies at a -14 range Sunday.
Any colder than that,, yeah I'd have to be returning fire.

Amen to that, The conspiracy theorists are almost as thick as the mosquitoes in nice weather, and they've not invented a DEET powerful enough for them yet.

Brought one of my former girlfriends out to the range on the first date-- 20 below zero, not a cloud in the sky.

I dressed her up in my Army Bear suit, and told her that if she shot my M1A on rapid fire, she could warm up her hands on the action. she really liked my M1A. That, and whenever we got to shooting the bolt actions, she used me as a cuddle-heater. The cold hands in my armpits took a second to get used to, but overall, A highly successful first date.

When I lived in Florida and only had private ranges to go to, I would tend to only show up on Sunday's right as the round of football would start, in bad weather, windy days or any day the temperature was over 90 and there was humidity. This usually weeded out anyone that would go to the range to try and show off their TAPCO fucked AK, impress their friends, talk more than shoot or just be a general idiot.

At -40 the fingers get cold enough to lose feeling within 5 rds. (edit- with quality gloves on) Hate the heat but am ok with the cold. Will play in any condition. Never that hot up here!

Training days are scheduled month in advance. We train regardless. I've shot/qual'd after working the night prior, being sleep deprived , hungry and having been in a knock down drag out fight fight the shift prior. Train like you fight, fight like you train.

If it's a RDO, I can bee picky/lazy, but I live in the valley so it's 100+ often.

Now vs 30 years ago is a bit different. Back then I hunted ducks in well below freezing rain, howling wind, and often more than an hour from the dock in a small open boat. My only problem with hypothermia was that it made for uncertain trigger work, and all the shivering might spook a deer if that's what I was after. If your waders filled up and your legs went numb you just sucked it up. Considering weather conditions was not in the realm of possibility. I just considered adverse conditions better training. Those days are over, but I can still take the heat. I did a training day last month in 95ish temps in the open and for 5 hours. The sweat in the eyes can be a pain in the ass, but the real trick is shooting between the exaggerated pulses that the heat can bring on. I'm doing it again in a few weeks and for the first time I am considering using a tarp to shoot under. Hunger has never bothered me, but thirst is tough to fight through (I plan better than I used to), and as the years have dragged on sleep deprivation has made me more and more cranky. Actually, I'm just more cranky period.

I don't like the heat, but I'll shoot in it. I prefer rain, or snow to heat any time. I went shooting in 20 degrees and about 6 inches of snow in a kilt once. I prefer that to shooting in anything over 85 degrees. Rain doesn't bother me because I'm from the pacific northwest, and if I had to wait for rain to end, I would loose 2/3 of the shooting days every year,

When I lived in Florida and only had private ranges to go to, I would tend to only show up on Sunday's right as the round of football would start, in bad weather, windy days or any day the temperature was over 90 and there was humidity. This usually weeded out anyone that would go to the range to try and show off their TAPCO fucked AK, impress their friends, talk more than shoot or just be a general idiot.

Though I will admit, I am kinda chatty, but that's only because I'm waiting for my barrel to cool down. or when the old guy with the President's 100 tab shows up, because anything that he says is worth hearing.

The days I can shoot are generally limited. Because of that I generally shoot in any weather I can. The most extreme I remember was one Friday last Summer. The car thermo indicated 114º. We drank lots of water and grapefruit juice. We powered through, and had a hell of a day.

I remember shooting in hurricane Katrina at my house we only got 50 mph winds and it made shooting very interesting

You know, I made a bunch of my in-laws angry over our joint vacation this year because I told them the kids of today were sissies. Man, get out there and shoot. Last weekend it was just short of 100 degrees here in Louisiana and my wife and I cleared a fence row until 2:30 and then we did tactical pistol drills in the back yard.

One winter I was hunting the late doe season. I went out after work, it was just damned cold. The night before was something like -20. I went to a copse of trees in the middle of a 40 acre field and stood with my back to the wind. I waited an hour and a half and didn't see anything. I was out of the wind, bundled up and fairly comfortable.

We didn't really need the meat and the wife and kids were due home anytime, so I said screw it, time for a warm meal and a beer. I turned to walk back to the house which was 1/4 mile away and it suddenly seemed much colder. The wind hit me and I thought "this is going to be a cold few minutes getting home".

On the way 4 does walked out 75 yards in front of me. They looked at me and just kept feeding across the field. The cold was painful now, my hands and feet were going numb, even though my hands were in my pockets. I knelt and took aim at the closest doe, decided the temperature was dropping fast and I wasn't going to be taking care of a dead deer tonight. Put the safety back on and headed home. By the time I got home I was so cold it took both hands and some praying to get the key in the lock with my frozen hands. When the warm air hit me I got chest pains and had trouble breathing. When my wife came home I was just sitting on the floor in pain as the feeling returned to my extremities.

It was the coldest night of the year so I guess I quit shooting around -10, -15 plus wind.

I cannot wait for the next 90min to tick off of the clock here at the office so I can go shoot a round of sporting clays this afternoon in the MS delta...forecast heat index is close to 110*. It's going to be slightly uncomfortable but 100% better than being at work!

A few years ago before it got so hard for me to breathe, a friend and I were out shooting, working up loads on the hottest day that year. And a few months later we were shooting on the coldest day that year. The chronograph worked every time. If I remember right we were at the range about 30 times that year.

I was shooting a trap competition and it was freezing. Literally. Five minutes into a round it started to snow. We kept going. I have some special gloves that have a very very thin and flexible insulation just for such events. No problem.

I've also shot trap when it's over a 100 with SUPER high humidity.

And I've shot trap over a 100 when it's bone dry and super windy with mini-twisters on the range and crap blowing in your eyes.

I suppose pouring rain might make shooting on an open range basically not worthwhile; though I have shot in a light drizzle. But rain wouldn't keep me from hunting.

What really helps is having the right clothing and gear. And not being too lazy to clean up your gun when you're done.