• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Whats the absolute worst conditions you'll go shooting?

A buddy and I shot the three forks match in montana last december. The morning temp was -27 and the temp at the match was steady at -17. I do believe -18 is at which point I wont shoot a match in.

This is about the worst for me...

me2unube.jpg

I prefer going to the range when it's well below freezing. Never crowded then. Cold has never bothered me though.

To answer the question though; if it's above about 100 I am not getting out of the AC.

I don't know if this counts as conditions BUT...... I have been to the range on severl occasions where I was surrounded by annoying tacticool guys chattering about this and that.. that's pretty poor conditions. nothing else really bothers me to much

Last edited:
Heat doesn't bother me, drink plenty of water and wear appropriate clothing, also being in Wyoming where it is always windy mirage isn't too big a deal. Luckily my local range has a really nice shooting shed with stove so when it gets brutally cold (single digits and below) and the arthritis kicks up I can still shoot even if its only on the 100yd range, that is as long as I can get my car through the snow to get to the range! Rain (not sprinkles but actual rain) is a no go though... I've spent enough time in the field soaking wet I'm over that!

As long as I can see the targets, I'll shoot at them so the absolute worst conditions would be fog to keep me from pulling the trigger.
Cheers

I prefer the shitty conditions, not because I prefer the shitty conditions but because the range morons stay home. 18 degrees and snow blowing sideways is totally worth having the place to myself.

As long as I can see the targets, I'll shoot at them so the absolute worst conditions would be fog to keep me from pulling the trigger.
Cheers

When we shot Thunder Ranch HART (which is where the picture above is from) there was a lot of snow and also low clouds between us and the steel at the end of the range. You could see the targets for a fraction of a second and then they'd disappear. Not enough time to be sure of the shot.

However we could see a large pine tree at the same distance. We lined up on the trunk at a certain spot and the next few times the target was visible we just noted the offset on the reticle. After that we were hitting it every shot by indexing off the tree and then sending it as soon as we caught a glimpse of the steel.

-15 degrees is the coldest I've ever shot in (-35 wind chill)...I stayed outside for about 4 hours and then packed up. The side of my rifle was completely frozen from me breathing on it. I really, really do not like shooting in areas that are high wind and dust. I don't mind the wind, but when the wind is sand-blasting you and your gear, it can be a bit annoying. However, I will still go out when it's windy/dusty...the only thing that keeps me from going out is if the roads are closed (which is rare).

Like Dirty D said above, I like it to be on the cold and/or windy side...only the dedicated guys come out, and if the tacticool AR dudes come out, they stay out for about 30 minutes and pack up and go home when they are out of ZombieMax ammo.

It cannot be too hot for me. Cold is a bother now that I am old, Since my hands do not work as well. I will not shoot in the rain or snow. I spent my life outside working in any weather and will not voluntarily get wet.Full sun and 110 degrees and I am good. Amon Ra.