• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing What's the best .308 hunting bullet?

Re: What's the best .308 hunting bullet?

Barnes 168 TTSX, Hornady 165 Bonded, Nosler 165 Accubond are all good ones for me.

Had a 142 SMK (260 I know, not a .308)not do worth a damn on a deer at 125 yds. Do you think it was because I was so close?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobertB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Had a 142 SMK (260 I know, not a .308)not do worth a damn on a deer at 125 yds. Do you think it was because I was so close? </div></div>

....shot placement.....my friend

My LTR really likes the remington 165gr scirocco rounds, and my dope is very close to FGMM rounds. However they don't expand very much but have great mass retention and penetration so I'm not sure they'd be ideal for lighter skinned antelope or small white tail, probably even overkill on mule deer or at least I'd tend to lean to something with more expansion. In my testing they were the only factory round that my LTR shot almost as well as FGMM.

Nosler and federal accubonds shot really well in my 06' but not so much in the .308. I also tried a couple boxes of the HMS running the 168gr VLD and they didn't shoot very well. Tried some of the corbon DPX 168gr again not great accuracy. Keeping in mind that even the "bad" ones of these groups were around 1" at 100, but the scirocco's were typically .5-3/4" groups and seemed more consistent with less flyers.

Missed out on an opportunity to take out some goats this weekend with lapua scenar 155 grains.

Maybe next time.

I get the feeling they will leave a messy wound channel

I have killed many deer using 165 gr. Sierra Game King in a Rem 700. I have pulled a few bullets from the opposite shoulder while field dressing. They expand well and do not fragment.

My first post here
laugh.gif

Recently MrExtreme and i shot some different bullets in Ballistic Gel,beeing a true beliver of Ballistic Tip for many years we tryed out some Bergers and A-Max in 243 and 308.

The A-Max in both calibers really impressed me!
The 155grain in 308 shot at 100meters:
Penetration were 50cm.
Expanded bullet was 19mm or 2,5 times bullet diameter.
Residue weight or recovered weight(not quite shure witch word is right)110,2grains or 71%

This fall A-Max will be chambered in my two Lr rifles for shure
cool.gif

[img:center]http://www.jaktsnack.se/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=29276[/img]

[img:center]http://www.jaktsnack.se/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=29279[/img]

i use the a max pills for black tail deer in oregon works good

Sierra HPBT 165 Gr always works for me - deers and hogs.

Its all about shot placement

Mr Miagi could stab a rhino with a pair of chop sticks and provided he hits it in the right spot, it will go down

laugh.gif

Killed a mess of deer and a kudu, a zebra and a few impala with Barnes X bullets. In a 308, I shoot 165-168 grain bullets over 43.5 grains of varget. Not the fastest, but very accurate in my 308s.

Might step down to the 130 TTSX for deer